Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a 408 ci. Many question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Building a 408 ci. Many question....

I an building a 408 ci. I have many questions any question....
Where do I start? I guess my goal is to build a stout build to go auto-crossing and to get my frustrations out.. I have a 4" forged crank and pistons, H beam rods and a gen 3 6.0 liter block punch out cam bearings and dumb bell replaced. I want to prep the block as best as I can what do I need to do? I will check all bolt holes, break sharp edges and paint the block. Do I need any type of aftermarket windage tray? What bearings to use for the crank and rod's? What oil pump and oil do I use? I have a set of 823's I am going to get them cnc ported to get the flow up I have SS valves and .660 BTR double springs. I have 93 octane 5 minutes away I would like to get the most compression I can. I have Wisco pistons -3cc dome with valve reliefs. How much head cut with what gasket will get me to my comp ratio? I have the measuring equipment to mic all the my tolerances of the whole motor. If your in the know and can steer me to build a great motor please contact me.
Thanks
Old 01-16-2024, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,349 Posts

That's a loaded question...I have a couple for you though. What are you working on and has the block been bored and honed to the pistons specifications? As for bearings if everything measures out correctly you should be good with standard size bearings. My choice is Clevite H-Series bearings and shoot for .0025-.003 on the rods and mains. I like HV oil pumps and have them in both of my cars. Amsoil SAE 30 break-in and then Amsoil 5W30 or 10W30. I'd determine P-V and find out how much I can mill the heads in order to get the compression up.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 172 Likes on 127 Posts

You "can" add washers under the windage tray to clear the crank/rods, but this might be a "better" option: https://www.improvedracing.com/4-inc...ance-pans.html

When you add spacers under the windage tray, it puts the pickup further from the bottom of the oil pan. It's not much, but it could cause cavitation in some situations (especially with a high volume oil pump, and hitting the corners hard).
Old 01-17-2024, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an accumulator it's a 3 qt moroso this will aid in the hard starting and stopping cornering and start up. Can the accumulator work as a pre oiler for a fresh startup?

Quick Reply: Building a 408 ci. Many question....