Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 383 H/c/I/e spark knock - false?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 383 H/c/I/e spark knock - false?

Hello all,
I'm beating my head against the wall with this one. I have a c5 corvette with the mods in title and am seeing max knock (10*) at WOT in 3rd and 4th gear, none in 1st and 2nd. Here's a pic of what the tune file looks like. I'm not inexperienced with hptuners, and the afr is steady at 12.5 during these runs.

I've also knocked the entire timing table down 10 degrees, to the point that it's commanding 7 degrees total timing at wot high rpm. There is no difference, I'm still getting the knock. Im leaning towards it being false knock because of it still occuring when the timing is pulled so much, but I'd like opinions on what could be causing this.

​​
Old 01-26-2024, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 320 Likes on 233 Posts

What are the plugs reading?
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Old Buzzard
What are the plugs reading?
Plugs are reading ever so slightly rich. Ngk tr6s with literally 20 miles on them, stock gap.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:13 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,495 Likes on 2,154 Posts

Originally Posted by blondellama
Plugs are reading ever so slightly rich. Ngk tr6s with literally 20 miles on them, stock gap.
Old Buzzard was asking about plugs because detonation will show up on a spark plug in the form of tiny little specs that almost look like the plug caught the far-away effects of light sandblasting. You’ll want to look at them under a magnifying glass. If the plugs show nothing of the sort, then according to the chart and info above, you’ve got false knock. Something somewhere is rattling against something and the knock sensors are picking it up at that rpm.
The following 2 users liked this post by Che70velle:
G Atsma (01-27-2024), Old Buzzard (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Old Buzzard was asking about plugs because detonation will show up on a spark plug in the form of tiny little specs that almost look like the plug caught the far-away effects of light sandblasting. You’ll want to look at them under a magnifying glass. If the plugs show nothing of the sort, then according to the chart and info above, you’ve got false knock. Something somewhere is rattling against something and the knock sensors are picking it up at that rpm.
The plugs I pulled out didn't show anything like that, I shined a light and used a magnifying glass and nothing stood out like what you're describing.

Quick Reply: LS1 383 H/c/I/e spark knock - false?