Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam for lighter car suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Cam for lighter car suggestion

I apologize for probably beating on a dead horse....I have aquired a 5.3 out of a 2005 Chevy 1500, with 706 heads. The plan is to install in a 1986 Cutlass Salon at 3100 lbs, AC/Heat deleated thinking of going manual steering and will probably loose some more weight as time passes. Only street use will be short, slow trips around a country block and hauled to local 1/8 mile track. Full length headers and TBSS intake will be coming on board. Car will have a 12 bolt with 4.11 gears and a T350 trans, no converter purchased yet because of cam selection. I have an opportunity to steal a TSP 228/232 .600, but the minimum compression states 10.1;1 and this engine states 9.5;1. I know a high stall would compliment the cam (3400-3800) but would rather not lose a ton of bottom end and usuable compression bleeding off either. I have visited LSXceleration multiple times and all the other players as well and just curious if I'm over thinking the cam that can be had cheap, or is there an option that can take full on advantage of small cubic inch with lower compression in a lighter vehicle? Don't care about sound just want all this motor can give in the 1/8th and possibly mid 7's. A perfect LSA for an old school 327 is 109 per David Vizard, once again overthinking??

I appreciate the help and knowledge here for I'm new to the LS game, used to the old school stuff.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

Personally I think that is too much camshaft for the compression it has as it is. Mill the heads and use a thinner head gasket. Contact multiple camshaft companies and tell them your combo and the usage of the vehicle. That is the best way to acheive the best power and ET's.
I understand asking on the forum for info, but for a camshaft it's best to contact manufacturers like Cam motion or Summit Racing
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (01-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Cam for lighter car suggestion