Sponsored by:

Expert Help Needed, Part TWO

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Expert Help Needed, Part TWO

Hello,
I have been meaning to re-ask this question, after reading "grinder11" post in Gen. IV Internal Engine ...here
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...after-fix.html
I thought this was a good time.
My original post .... here
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...lp-needed.html

After two machine shop valve jobs where all the guildes were replaced and wore out with in a short time.
The first valve job was done with new guides that were over bored and looser than I thought they should be. When I pulled the heads to do a ring job, the guides from the 1st valve job were very loose so they were replaced with new cast guides and valves at the second machine shop. When I pulled the heads last year to replace the lifters, the 4000 miles valve job the guides were loose again.
So I decided to do the valve job my seft.
I put in hardened cast iron guides and noticed that the stems were scored. When I bought the valves in the second machine shop to have them faced, I asked about the scoring and they said that the polish job that I did on the stems was good. Well, that lasted 50 miles before I stuck a valve.

Woooops
So this time I put in Manganese Bronze guides and all new valves, so far after 3000 miles and 9 months they are working ok.
So this my thinking, tell me if I am wrong. The chrome plating on the after market valves is too thin or soft so after the plating is worn off the stainless steel and cast iron guides gall and wear out out the guides. So the Manganese Bronze guides is necessary to prevent the galling between the stainless steel and iron guides. The OE valves must be a better quality so the chrome does not wear out.
So let me know if this correct or not.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Expert Help Needed, Part TWO