Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running flat top/4.8 pistons in a 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone running flat top/4.8 pistons in a 5.3?

How'd it work out? I've seen it's talked about as an option to increase compression. Is there any tangible benefit?
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,140 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Just look at the numbers. By going to a flat top from an 8cc dish, compression goes from 9.5:1 to 10.47:1
If you have the right fuel for the compression, it works out great!
Is there any tangible benefit to increasing compression?? Dumb question, but you be the judge....
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by C10_cruiser
How'd it work out? I've seen it's talked about as an option to increase compression. Is there any tangible benefit?
I have done 2 Junk yard style builds and 1 new.

An increase in compression yields more power.

FWI, GM did it in 2005 from the factory with the L33 engine...
Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM

Thanks. What other mods did you do at the same time? Is it a noticeable upgrade?
Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

One has 706/862 heads with a used LS2 cam with a TBSS 2500 Stall, The Other has 243's with a used TSP Stage 2 Truck Low lift cam with a Circle-D 3200 Stall. Both used LS6/LS3 Springs.

The New one is fully custom with a Tony MAMO Top End and valvetrain package but its never been run.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Just look at the numbers. By going to a flat top from an 8cc dish, compression goes from 9.5:1 to 10.47:1
If you have the right fuel for the compression, it works out great!
Is there any tangible benefit to increasing compression?? Dumb question, but you be the judge....
Ha! Yes I know it's a dumb question I'm just looking for feedback after the fact rather than just the numbers. I'm at a point where it would be pretty easy for me to make this mod I just wonder if it's worth the work on an otherwise pretty stock daily driver motor
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (Today)
Old Today, 03:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 501 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by C10_cruiser
Ha! Yes I know it's a dumb question I'm just looking for feedback after the fact rather than just the numbers. I'm at a point where it would be pretty easy for me to make this mod I just wonder if it's worth the work on an otherwise pretty stock daily driver motor
If you believe the 4% per point of compression increase, you would be looking at about 10rwhp on a stock 5.3. Whether that is worth it depends on how much extra work or dollars it will take for you to do it. However, that extra power comes directly from using the fuel more efficiently, which means better fuel economy. Unfortunately, if the added compression makes your engine require premium instead of regular gas, the increased economy would be offset by the higher fuel cost. Even the simplest questions become complicated when you look at them too long.

Quick Reply: Anyone running flat top/4.8 pistons in a 5.3?