Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's hear your GM Hot Cam numbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 02:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is old, but I would like to ressurect it. I am considering the HotCam because it is my daliy driver and I want good low end power. The original intent of THIS thread was about times at the track and gains from the HotCam. Please do not post about the HotCam being a mistake. Please post ONLY if you've actually had the HotCam in YOUR car.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:08 AM
TECH Resident

Hey,
I've had my Hotcam installed since April of 2003, and I am not bored of it, and I am happy I went with this type of cam. My car is used for daily driving and Autocrossing. For me it is a great setup. I got plenty of power for the street, tons of power for autocrossing, and when my engine is spinnning at 6,000+ for a minute straight (while autoxing), I am glad the lift is not too high. Plus, I get lots of comments about how my car sounds idling (good comments!) I dynoed my car a few mods ago. The numbers are in my sig, and I'm happy with them. The only real problem with my car is traction, since I am running 4.10s in a stock 10bolt, I will not bring myself to putting stickier tires on All said, Its was a great choice for me and no regrets at all.

Tommy
Old 09-29-2004, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2ndGenWs6Owner
I know this thread is old, but I would like to ressurect it. I am considering the HotCam because it is my daliy driver and I want good low end power. The original intent of THIS thread was about times at the track and gains from the HotCam. Please do not post about the HotCam being a mistake. Please post ONLY if you've actually had the HotCam in YOUR car.
FWIW.
I have the HC and I like the way it performs on the street. It really does feel like a flat(ish) Tq delivery. But then my car is light.
BUT....
It won't idle at stock rpm's easily and produces large amounts of hydocarbons when it does. It won't easily pass emissions.
I wanted to upgrade the stock rockers for the sake of reliability, so I bought 1.8RR thinking 'Ill get more lift too!!' only to find that upgrading the cam to something more powerful will leave me with a redundant set of 1.8's because they are not recommended for most after market cams (ramp rate).

You still won't out-run a stock LS6 that passes emissions, and you'll know that all it took was a better cam.
To be brutally honest, I picked this cam before I really knew what I wanted or had any knowledge of the current cams available.
I thought it would be a good compromise and it was just that. the problem is that I am not very good with compromising. So I got it wrong. I chose the wrong cam for me, but it might be right for you.
If you go ahead the first thing you need is a good set of headers and the LS6 intake. This really livens up the ol' HC. With these and the 1.8's you will have a nice motor that you'll enjoy driving.
With all the pissing about involved in changing the cam you owe it too yourself to make the right choice.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

One of the guys in my club went 12.05 @ 115 on a hotcam (tuned), longtubes, cutout, lid, and slicks. He's invested a grand total of $1,500 in performance parts and he's almost in the 11's.

The mistake people make is that they don't tune their hotcams properly. It's all in the tuning.

As far as other options go, I'd look at the Thunder Racing "Old Man Cam". Idles like stock, easy on the drivetrain and it makes good power.

Last edited by LS1Maniac; 09-29-2004 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Let's hear your GM Hot Cam numbers