Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's hear your GM Hot Cam numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 11:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Hotcam is a nice bang for the buck but the lobes are old school and the cam overall lopes more than smaller cams (224/112) that make as much or more power. By the way, 'mgreen' is the resident hotcam cheerleader, he went like 116-117mph cam only with his 98Z M6.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy **** this turned into a nice long off topic bash. I feel bad now for putting rice in my car, I guess I'm just a retard for actually wanting a cam that lopes good, makes decent power, is easy on the springs and didn't cost alot. I must be a complete ******* idiot, I better run out and throw down $6-700 to fix my mistake. You guys can be such a bunch of imature bitches sometimes. We all know that there are more powerful cams out there, but sometimes the Hotcam is actually a good choice for someone. Yea, that's right, it can be and has been the correct choice for some people to buy this most hated cam.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"If the hotcam really sucks then why don't you guys shut the F up..."

Wow, testy testy are we? Who said the Hotcam "sucks" in this thread. I must have missed that.

"You guys who are full-time Hotcam bashers acknowledge that the Hotcam's only advantage over any other cam is price. I agree with you on that."

I'm glad you're not completly obtuse. However, your assertion that we believe that cost doesn't matter is completely opposite. Quite the contrary. If price didn't matter then I would recommend cams to people, such as the Hotcam, that I felt fairly sure they'de want to replace sometime not so far down the road. You see, we've been watching people swap Hotcams for better cams for years now and that is, well, a waste of money. Do it right once is the cheaper and easier way to go. So you see, we agree, cost DOES matter.

I think you're letting the whole anti-Hotcam sentiment get to you a little to much. As Tony pointed out, no one is putting down Hotcam owners. No one is saying that the Hotcam makes completely crappy power. No one is saying that you'de have to be a fool to buy one. Take a deep breath and repeat after me..."My cam is cheap and that is GOOD. My cam is cheap and that is GOOD. My cam is cheap and I can always replace it with a better cam once the thrill of cheapness wears off." There there now...feel better?
Old 08-07-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record, I don't consider ANY mod to be "rice" that adds power nor do I think that anyone is a "******* idiot" for running a Hotcam.

Let's chill with the Jr High language. It adds nothing to the tech content. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

^I'm w/ stupid. I appologize for the childish way that post was written but I did it to make my point.

The "rice" comment was directed at Z98 since he is the one that said it and as you can see by my avatar, I don't like rice.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:42 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kenkaru
I'm so sick of hearing about how "old" the hotcam is, as if the design is deteriorating over time. Our whole freakin engine design is "old". Who are you gonna impress with your "new technology" cam specs when your motor has pushrods and 2 valves per cylinder!?

we all agree that the ls1 shares virtually nothing with the GenII correct? so why use a cam spec'd for the GenII when the engines are so dissimalar.

First off, my car is a '98 M6 and my Hotcam runs absolutely fine here in Kansas in 100 degrees with humidy with the AC on. I don't know where you're coming up with this NEEDS tuning stuff. Everyone knows you can drill the TB on an auto if you need to.

"absolutely fine" is a relative term. there are guys who are running the T-rex "absolutely fine" with the stock tune but im sure none of them would keep it that way. same thing with the HC, fact is the HC is something that needs tuning.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I currently have the hot cam and love it...I run consistent 12.0-12.3's 113-116mph at the track in SAC...The car dynoed 381 untuned in a M6..

Since I have the need for more speed I am doing a complete engine overhaul and going with bigger cubes ...

For what the cam is worth I think its a great alternative cam over stock.IMO..I would suggest this cam to anyone if they are looking for descent gains...Like previously mentioned, if you are lookin for a cam that will put down good numbers then this cam probably isnt for U...If you wanna dual it out with our fellow Z06 guys at the track then its right for U...

Kevin
Old 08-07-2004, 01:45 AM
11 Second Club

I agree about the hotcam.. I just don't understand why somebody would buy 1.8 rockers, when you could buy a nice used cam and new valvesprings for the price of the rockers, and save the money from the hotcam. It ruined the hotcams main advantage (price). But different strokes for different folks

Peace,
Josh

Last edited by distortion_69; 08-07-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow! I bought a Hotcam 3 years ago because I wanted something cheap and it was my first venture into a motor. 3 years later, I am upgrading everything(homeported heads/new cam/long tubes) because I want something that will make MORE power. The HC did what I wanted for the price I was willing to pay at the time but as I learned more I wanted more. I dont think I made a mistake at that time, I think I just learned more now. At this day and age with all that has come out, I wouldnt waste the time or the money on that cam again as there is alot better out there but 3 years ago for a rookie it was a different story.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:37 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

YOOFORMULA, they are gonna revoke your Society of HC membership card for that reply.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lol...I wont knock it because I am sure there is someone else that is probably in the same boat(price being the priority) but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone especially considering how much time is involved for the install. Its just not worth it if you EVER plan on making serious HP down the road. I guess I'll have to duck now in fear of flying cam bolts and plates.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YOOFORMULA
Its just not worth it if you EVER plan on making serious HP down the road.
The cam install wasn't that big of a deal. I'd rather do 2 cams than 1 clutch!

By that logic, an F-body is not worth it if you EVER plan on going fast down the road. I'm just waiting til I get my college finished to get a Vette.
A hotcam with a 100 shot would be making over 500 at the crank. That's not serious!? The hotcam is nitrous friendly. That hasn't been mentioned yet.

If you're all about the free/cheap mods and don't need the fastest car on this board, the hotcam fits.

This thread is so gay.

12.1 on a 1.9 60' is awesome! I can't wait to get to the track!
Old 08-07-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

The cam install wasn't that big of a deal. I'd rather do 2 cams than 1 clutch!
Agree 100%!!

By that logic, an F-body is not worth it if you EVER plan on going fast down the road. I'm just waiting til I get my college finished to get a Vette.
Why is that? Is the vette that much faster than an fbody? Hmm, they must have put a totally different motor in there huh?

A hotcam with a 100 shot would be making over 500 at the crank. That's not serious!? I wonder what that same 100 shot would do for a different cam? Mute point!

If you're all about the free/cheap mods and don't need the fastest car on this board, the hotcam fits.True unless you plan on going bigger down the road, why bother with an inferior product with all that is out there now? 3 or 4 years ago, you would have had a better argument but there is a ton more better stuff out there now.

This thread is so gay.
totally agree!

12.1 on a 1.9 60' is awesome! I can't wait to get to the track!

Last edited by YOOFORMULA; 08-07-2004 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

i purchased the hotcam a couple years ago and i thought it was a good cam. I went 11.6 @ 115 mph with it w/ no real weight reduction besides spare tire and little stuff in the middle of the July summer heat. i also know of a guy that went 11.5 in the same weather conditions with the same cam. i have an a4 and so did the other guy the key is a good tune.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

yea we can really tell you know what your talkin about! and why your waiting, the f-bodies are still kickin your *** on the street and strip. and once you do get your vet with the hotcam and 100 shot and your "500" at the crank (nobody cares about the crank) the f-bodies with the same mods will still beat you. the vette aint as bad as everyone thinks!
Old 08-07-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Actually (in response to an earlier post way up this thread) the specs for the LS1 and LT1 Hotcam are different. And yes, there are old-school lobes on it. Whoohoo. There really haven't been too much changes in cam lobes since the introduction of hydraulic roller lifters. People have been grinding cams like the Hotcam for a long time. But they will continue to do it because it does make a good cam. And I am tired of not having any kind of voice in cam conversations because I chose the Hotcam. I am very satisfied with my Hotcam, and the reliability it gives me. Blah blah blah...

Say hello to my little friends...
Old 08-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Teching In

have you seen this month's Chevy High Performance?
Good article on the Hot Cam and GM heads..
Old 08-07-2004, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

I have a T-rex and I miss my hot cam, sure the T-rex will out run the Hot Cam but the car has no power below 4000, the hot cam is just so much more fun to drive in a ever day driver
Old 08-07-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ID01WS6TA
have you seen this month's Chevy High Performance?
Good article on the Hot Cam and GM heads..
Hmmm. I must go get a copy.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 68bird
yea we can really tell you know what your talkin about! and why your waiting, the f-bodies are still kickin your *** on the street and strip. and once you do get your vet with the hotcam and 100 shot and your "500" at the crank (nobody cares about the crank) the f-bodies with the same mods will still beat you. the vette aint as bad as everyone thinks!
Oh boy, that's a whole other topic!

Ya maybe if your mom is in the passenger seat to negate the 300lbs difference between the cars and Barney is driving. Barney is still gonna smoke through the corners though! (I'm just playing about your mom don't get pissed!)

Quick Reply: Let's hear your GM Hot Cam numbers