Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Install-Do my Heads need to come off? I think my shop is dicking me around.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reckless
That's funny, I just changed a cam yesterday without pulling the heads. I must have done it wrong?
wow thats funny Todd.howzit.new location huh!sounds like the shop not familiar with ls1.

Last edited by 35th SS; 08-06-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:19 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if one of the lifters would have not locked into place after turning the cam, they could have coaxed a stubborn lifter up and kept it there with a pen magnet without ripping your heads off.

Now, if you had lifter problems, then that's an entirely different issue.

Hope all goes well.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope they know about not reusing head bolts and the proper way to tighten them.
Did they really say they were stuck on rust? BTW, what are they charging for a cam install?
Old 08-06-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me they shouldnt charge him any extra, it was their F-Up, might as well slap some comp-r lifters in there and then maybe some stg 1 or 2 heads
Old 08-06-2004, 03:40 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
To me they shouldnt charge him any extra, it was their F-Up, might as well slap some comp-r lifters in there and then maybe some stg 1 or 2 heads
I agree. Get your hands on some nice assembled Stage 2 heads and have them put on. It will save the installers the labor of the spring swap. Hehe.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Name the shop so other people will be sure to use them
Old 08-06-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mooleyz28
EDITED: NON-SPONSORS SOLICITING BUSINESS IS AGAINST SITE POLICY.
-Admin
Sorry, I didnt mean to try and sell anything or anything, I just hate when people get screwed over!
Old 08-06-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To me, it sounds like they dropped a lifter after pulling the cam because they didnt use the JPR tool or pen magnets. Its their ****-up if they used the "russian roulette" method. Bottom line is that no cam swap Ive done, or have ever heard anyone doing has required the heads to come off an LS1. I bet they dropped a lifter and now they want to cover it up on your dime.

-T
Old 08-06-2004, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

What a bunch of *** clowns! I changed my own cam going VERY slowly since it was the first time I had ever done something to the internals of an engine. I did fine except for one near blunder when changing the springs. I used pen magnets to hold the lifters up.

If I were you, I would not let these morons finish the job. I’d call a tow truck and haul the car back to my house and finish it myself. Who knows what else they are going to **** up!

Good luck and if they give you any arrogant BS, just print out two copies of this thread and hand one to the mechanic and one to the manager.

On the bright side, it could be worse. I once heard a GM mechanic say the pistons had to be removed to do a cam swap on an LS1.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PewterZ28
On the bright side, it could be worse. I once heard a GM mechanic say the pistons had to be removed to do a cam swap on an LS1.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
I agree. Get your hands on some nice assembled Stage 2 heads and have them put on. It will save the installers the labor of the spring swap. Hehe.
agreed
Old 08-08-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you survive this; stay away from that shop.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hope it all works out man. I know the feeling of being ripped off.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

SO... I get down to the shop and explain to these douche bags how they should have done the cam swap. I go to get the pictures I printed of the cam tool, and where on the block it gets inserted out of my truck. My girlfriend stays in the shop, and then the mechanic says to the shop owner "I hate when people tell us how they want their work done"!!!!

So then I show and tell. then go out in the shop to see how much is left on my re-assembly. That's when I notice that these fucknuts have installed the Weiand intake... you know...the aluminium one that is a total frickin heat soak, instead of the LS6 intake I had requested them to procure and install. So where the **** do you get Weiand from LS6? So then they try to tell me the heat soak will be negligable and talk me into keeping the Weiand POS. (at this point my gf has informed me of the mechanics comments above) So I turn to them and repeat word for word this dudes comments and tell them that if they ever want to get paid and have a remote chance of ever getting any more business from me, they better get the right parts and install them at no charge.

So they let me take the car home without paying anything, and I can bring it back for the intake swap when the correct one gets in.

WAIT... then I get the car home, and realize two things... The coolant they refilled me with is not Dexcool, and... AND... they never recharged my frikin air conditioning (not that I use it often, but still). What a buch of dickfucks. Can't wait to call this fuckjob up on Monday and give him a piece of my mind.

It's a shame that I had them do the work when Speed Inc. is about 12 miles closer to my house. I will disclose to you all the name of this shop once everything has been fixed to my satisfaction.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

FYI, They shouldn't have to discharge your A/C for a camswap.

Josh
Old 08-08-2004, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Im so sorry to read this..If you care for your car half as much as I do for mine,you must be sick. Who knows if any of the bolts were replaced with a torque wrench,or what else they cut corners on. My advice in the future, dont let enyone else work on your car unsupervised. Unless you have complete trust in their skills. I would not trust them to provide a ls6 intake, watch them install a early ls1 vette intake.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

I also just found one of my A/C lines pressing against the pulley.. and a hole worn through it. Couldn't tell if it was all the way, but definately partial.

I called these guys today and left a message... I never got a call back. I'm thinking about paying them a visit in the AM.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Request $ for you AC to be recharged, get your ls6 intake, do whatever else has to be done then RUN! Do the **** yourself, save money and get the knowledge of fixing your car yourself.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:46 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Cut your losses and move on. Athough you are in the right, do you honestly think they're gonna respond to your claims (both monetary and labor)? I wouldn't even think of leaving that car with them again for anything.
You ain't gonna get jack from these guys.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Is this shop a general auto repair shop or a performance shop? If it is just a general repair shop they are going to print out the R x R cam instructions from either Alldata, Mitchell On-Demand, or ShopKey. If this info says to pull the heads that is how they are going to want to do it. I am at home now so I can't look it up (I'm in the general repair biz). I was just thinking that could be why they want to pull the heads. Now if its a perfomance shop, who knows.