Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTENTION: A Cure for ticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999T/A
Ok I made it home . I noticed when I was driving it home that when I give it throttle , the oil pressure goes down , and when I let off the throttle , it goes back up ! WTF ?!?!?! Could clogged cats pressurize the engine to the point that it fights the oil pressure ? I have very little exhaust coming out of the tailpipes , i have to put my hand right up to the tailpipes to feel the exhaust gases ( approx. 1 inch away ) . Also , when giving it gas while cruising , it acts like I didnt give it any gas ! Kinda bogs down . Weird . The cats dont get red hot and the car doesnt cut off . What do you guys think ?

TIA ,

Joe
sounds like you are sucking your pan dry!
Old 09-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kenkaru,thanks once again for sharing this I changed the o-ring while doing a cam swap no ticking & oil pressure went 60psi idle & nearly 80psi driving.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good info for sure! I'll be buying a new O-ring to install w/ my cam. The best solutions are the ones that come up before the problem! Thanks again!!
Old 09-24-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

T T T & sticky recomended.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Anybody else here get a ticking motor after a cam swap, in which they did not touch the factory oil pump and pickup?

My new cam has been dead quiet up until recently, where it has started some random ticking. Not nearly as bad as the last cam, but noticeable.

I also noticed my oil pressure fluctuating at idle. Something I never noticed before, but something I've never payed much attention to either.

What do you guys think... should I go in and throw a new o-ring in?
Old 09-27-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't personally heard of o ring problems if it hasn't been touched. However, from what I HAVE seen, fluctuating oil pressure and ticking is one of two things, the oil pump o-ring or a spun bearing.

I think the o-ring is good place to start. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Mine also has the annoying ticking. I can pin point it to the center of the top of the engine, near the intake mannifold. The car has 5000 miles on it. The engine work noted in my sig was done 2000 miles ago. THe noise just started. It also seems like you can hear it just behind both fron wheels, like its echoing thru the exhaust. The car isn't beat on, hasn't been to the track, and I never missed a shift, Could it still be the oil pump o-ring?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would check my receipt for the work to see if they put a new o-ring in.
Yes, it could definitely be the o-ring. My ticking sounded like it was coming from the top of the engine and it ended being the o-ring.
I think the lack of oil pressure causes just one of the lifters to not fully pump-up.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

I skimmed thru the posts, is there a number for the TSB?
Old 09-28-2004, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kenkaru
I haven't personally heard of o ring problems if it hasn't been touched. However, from what I HAVE seen, fluctuating oil pressure and ticking is one of two things, the oil pump o-ring or a spun bearing.

I think the o-ring is good place to start. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Yikes.

I think I'll get an oil analysis first...
Old 10-28-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did a cam swap and i got really low oil pressure it will almost drop to 0 at idle if i tap the gas it will go up to about 20psi and will never get above halfway on the gauge. The car is ticking really bad and it sounds like its coming from the driver side of the motor. Is this the exact thing your problems were. Is the pics in the first post a new gm gasket or some other brand? what is the part #. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TransAmJo
Is the pics in the first post a new gm gasket or some other brand? what is the part #. Thanks.
Any updates on this? What is the GM part# for this infamous O ring?
Old 11-24-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry I never updated this post. GM updated the gasket and the blue o-ring is the newer version. If you go to the dealership and tell them u need a new O-ring for the oil pickup tube they will give you the blue one. Its thicker than the older one that was in there from the factory. It cured my oil pressure problems. Hope this helps you.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

I noticed mine start doing this as of recently! At first i thought it was a exhaust leak...but my exhaust shop did a leak down and found no leaks!
How hard is this to do and how long does it take ?

Thanks
Old 11-25-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like a GM part number for the O-ring, please. Is the blue new and the black old? thanks.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

-I recently had exact same ticking noise after an oil change. I have not put in cam. I got the ticking to go away(for now) by removing my predator tune. How can that be my solution?
Old 11-25-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just went to the dealership and told them i needed a new o-ring for the oil pickup tube. The one they gave me was blue just like the picture. I dont know the part number. The new one is blue and is a bit thicker than the original one. sfwaters maybe your predator tune was causing knock of detonation. thats the only thing i could think of if your tune was causing a tick.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is another excellent post! Mine is driving me crazy! What a PITA though.. Any idea how many hours labor to swap out the gasket?(C5)

I dread putting it away for the winter with this noise! Motor is VERY strong though.. Just not right!

Old 11-25-2004, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firehawk933
Mine also has the annoying ticking. I can pin point it to the center of the top of the engine, near the intake mannifold. The car has 5000 miles on it. The engine work noted in my sig was done 2000 miles ago. THe noise just started. It also seems like you can hear it just behind both fron wheels, like its echoing thru the exhaust. The car isn't beat on, hasn't been to the track, and I never missed a shift, Could it still be the oil pump o-ring?
My car too has the ticking echoing through the exhaust car is internally stock I have checked for exhaust leaks, loose plugs, wires, I have an ORY and the ticking is the same on each side. My oil pressure is fair hot idle about 36-38 and car has 19,000 miles on it.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

fastbasser i would say about 3 hours if you dont run into any problems. just make sure you put a rag in the oil pan so if you drop a wrench in the oil pan you wont have to fish it out. I had to fish one out with a pen magnet and it took forever. Just go to www.ls1howto.com and use the cam swap directions but only use the steps you need. you only really have to remove the belts, radiator, waterpump, crank pully, timing cover, timing chain, and drop the pan a bit. remove the oil pump place the new o ring in, then reasemble.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: A Cure for ticking