Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will CompCams Chain and Gears work with GM Dampener

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will CompCams Chain and Gears work with GM Dampener

I'm looking at buying the CompCam Timing Gears and chain, and the GM Heavy Duty timing Chain dampener. Will those work togeter? Or should I just buy the Heavy Duty GM chain and the Dampener and forget about replacing the gears? My car has 100K miles on it.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:49 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Justin,
I don't think you need the dampner unless you are just trying to do something different etc... Just about everyone on the board that I have seen or done installs for have used either Rollmasters, Comp Cams, JWIS, or a stock replacement with no GM dampner. I don't think you need it and I don't think it will benifit you in any way, but I do think it wil work with the Comp Cams chain as Comp makes them for GM from what I've herd and I have installed them before and the only difference is the Gears are slightly bigger to take up the slack the stock chains have from the factory etc... And if I was going to do all that work I would replace gears and chain. Just personal preference as I don't think it is going to matter as far as reliability or performance goes either way. It is just peice of mind for you! I would how ever replace your pump and O-ring even with just a new stocker if not a ported model your call agian I like my Rollmater a lot and I think you saw the numbers I put down with a starving fuel system and I have not issues with all of them I have installed. Just a few things to think about . The GM replacement probably needs the dampner to keep the slack out etc.. I have the Rollmaster and you will see NO SLACK what so ever and so no need for the dampner. Good luck let me know if I can help you out in anyway.
Jeff