Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just snapped a Crane dual on my way to work

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can't know what size shim you need without measuring.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taqwache
i wouldnt be so fast to go out a buy a patriot spring, i have personaly seen those break also. i would bet that the installed height was off like TR said.
Well, I've had good luck with my 918s, so I'll probably use those again when I port a new set of heads in the fall. With the lightweight stock valves (compared to bigger aftermarket ones), I dont really need anything more with my cam. I've yet to hear of broken Patriot Golds, but sounds like theres been some. There was a while there where you didnt hear about broken springs once the REVs lost popularity.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Question

i wouldnt be so fast to go out a buy a patriot spring, i have personaly seen those break also. i would bet that the installed height was off like TR said.
I haven't heard of any of the patriot "gold" springs breaking.

Details please!

Last edited by Cobraeater; 08-18-2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
You can't know what size shim you need without measuring.

Amen. That's the only way to be sure.

Paul
Old 08-18-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is that the tool to measure the distance ? Where can I buy it ?
I wish I knew how to measure it....do you guys think it's difficult ?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

You've got to make sure to get one that will fit in an LS1 head. I had one that wouldnt fit. Not sure which one you'll need, but I think TR sells one.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Not sure which one you'll need, but I think TR sells one.

Yes we do and they are $69.99.

Paul
Old 08-18-2004, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobraeater
I haven't heard of any of the patriot "gold" springs breaking.

Details please!
sure, a buddy of mine just installed his 231/237 and patriot gold springs about 2 months ago. about 2 weeks ago one spring broke and pieces ended up in the oil pan. he just order a new one 2nd day air and installed it. he posts here as "Nakoz" but not too offten. the heads are stock and never been of the car. and yes, i did see it in person. i will try to get a pic of it and post it.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Do the Patriot "Gold" springs need the shims too????
Old 08-18-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

about 2 weeks ago one spring broke and pieces ended up in the oil pan.
Thats quite disconcerting. I just got my 231/237 in the mail. Paul, with the Gold Duals am I going to have to shim any? This is on stock heads.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
Paul, with the Gold Duals am I going to have to shim any? This is on stock heads.

We don't use Patriot products so I couldn't answer that for you. Sorry.

Paul
Old 08-19-2004, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
Thats quite disconcerting. I just got my 231/237 in the mail. Paul, with the Gold Duals am I going to have to shim any? This is on stock heads.

No,the golds do not need to be shimmed.I can help you with them call me.
256-442-1882
Old 08-19-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Question

sure, a buddy of mine just installed his 231/237 and patriot gold springs about 2 months ago. about 2 weeks ago one spring broke and pieces ended up in the oil pan. he just order a new one 2nd day air and installed it. he posts here as "Nakoz" but not too offten. the heads are stock and never been of the car. and yes, i did see it in person. i will try to get a pic of it and post it.

I found Nakoz post's about the tip of his inner spring breaking, but not the outer spring.

Originally Posted by Nakoz
Yea, man that cam is awsome!! Through a 12bolt, I put out 393HP at the RW with a cut out and lid. Although after a few thousand miles you may want to check the oil, i found a piece of a valve spring in my oil and pulled the covers to find one of my tips of my inner springs broke. Just a heads up. Good luck!!

Technically, Nakoz's patriot spring did not break, but that is still a freak occurance.

I wonder why the tip on the inner spring broke off since that spring wasn't under any pressure?

Maybe tvwilkes can answer this.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Launching!

I was just searching around and happened to come across this post. Actually to set the record straight the inner and outer spring broke too. I replaced that spring the next weekend, however just recently i was changing my oil and found two more spring pieces in my oil, got caught by the magnet. This weekend me and a buddy of mine pulled all my springs off and replaced them with another set, in the process we found 3 more broken springs. I dont want to knock the patriot springs because it may have just been a bad batch or amazing coincidence. In defence for the patriot springs I didnt even know that the springs broke because there wasnt any valve train noise or anything. I even drove a 40 more miles on them with no probs. Im going to call patriot tomorrow and see what they say, hopefully i can report some good news.

Nakoz
Old 09-07-2004, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

I just put a set of those Patriot springs on a TSP 231/237 car. Let's hear what Patriot says.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some things you can do to help your springs live longer. Have them "exercised" before you install them...compress them to their min height (usually 0.050" before coil bind). Have them rate-checked for variation, swap out the ones that are out of spec. Use an installed height mic like pictured above and measure all 16 of 'em in their respective seats, fix any variation that you find.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Teching In

OK... so with all of this talk about broken springs. What would the symptoms be for the car if you have one?

Think I may have broken one yesterday and have not yet pulled the valve covers to look.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Well, i called patriot today and explained the situation to them. They were real nice about the deal and asked if i could ship the set back to them so they could take a look at the springs and test them. I told them I will send them out, so I will look to hear from them after a few weeks.

*** I am not by any means knocking the patriot springs. I still believe that they are an awsome product and this is probly a unique situation. So if you are reading this post and are concerned about purchasing them or you are concerned about your current setup please dont be, because I myself would recommend them.

Nakoz
Old 09-09-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Nakoz
I was just searching around and happened to come across this post. Actually to set the record straight the inner and outer spring broke too. I replaced that spring the next weekend, however just recently i was changing my oil and found two more spring pieces in my oil, got caught by the magnet. This weekend me and a buddy of mine pulled all my springs off and replaced them with another set, in the process we found 3 more broken springs. I dont want to knock the patriot springs because it may have just been a bad batch or amazing coincidence. In defence for the patriot springs I didnt even know that the springs broke because there wasnt any valve train noise or anything. I even drove a 40 more miles on them with no probs. Im going to call patriot tomorrow and see what they say, hopefully i can report some good news.

Nakoz
Did you use the factory valve spring seats?

Here what Terry said in another thread.
Originally Posted by Terry@RacetechSpeed
In that situation the springs were not installed with the correct seat base.They were installed using the factory seat base.That caused the inner spring to coil bind.
If you did use the factory valve spring seats I could see why all your springs were starting to break apart since the patriot gold springs aren't meant to be used with factory valve spring seats. Lucky, you didn't drop a valve.

Here's the thread also.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=gold+breaking

Last edited by Cobraeater; 09-10-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amen on using the right seats, and I even found using aftermarket (Manley) valve locks changed my installed height. I went from a clean 1.800" measured w/ stock locks to 1.790" with the Manleys, all 16 of them. I called Manley and they indicated this was no issue as long as it didn't put my over-the-nose height at risk of coil bind, which in my case it didn't.