Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like cary said the main thing is are you going to buy a base Z28 or an SS, both run really well but the SS has a little better parts for a little more money. I am a Z28 kind of guy that can upgrade later if I feel I need to. That is why I am so cheap I port my own heads .
Old 08-20-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the intake runner is 250cc, then why does the website say 225? I was under thre impression the wholoe time I had mine they were 225.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GUNNAR@PATRIOT
Patriot Performance is prepared for our products to be openly tested and compared to others. When doing the comparing, let’s make sure to look at the whole picture, including dollar spent versus power gained!
No offense to you, Patriot Performance, any of your suppliers, or any of your customers, but I dissagree with your assessment of your bang/buck comment.

As far as I'm concerned, the only way I could see that somebody could justify using a Patriot cylinder head is being on a budget. Now let me clarify that before those of you who are enjoying your Patriot Performance cylinder heads jump on me. Going fast cost money. That's what seperates the people that are succesfull on the street and the track, and those that aren't succesfull. Spending money in the crucial part of your motor (Cylinder heads/Camshaft Selection) is what is going to make somebody fast.

I've only taken the time to write all of that out because I've seen how people get upset when the performance they're expecting out of their car just isn't there. I've seen it a bunch of times too. If you expect the big numbers on the dyno, or the low ET at the track, you're going to have to buck up and spend money for a top-quality part, especially one as crucial as cylinder heads.

With that being said, I would like to again point out that I'm not here to insult anybody for any reason. I'm also not blind to the fact that some people on this message board have made very impressive numbers and run very impressive times using Patriot Performance cylinder heads.

Old 08-21-2004, 12:17 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

I disagree strongly with kingcrapbox.

I think the Patriot heads are a good bang for the buck. I expected the price of budget heads to drop to where they are now.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I disagree strongly with kingcrapbox.

I think the Patriot heads are a good bang for the buck. I expected the price of budget heads to drop to where they are now.
I knew I should've put more disclaimers in my post. LOL.

I think Patriot heads are a good bang/buck. I believe they're the cheapest ported LS1 heads on the market right now, and the performance you get from them isn't bad.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Is it me, or is it all of Patriots competitors sounding off here? If someone was offerning a quality product at a cheaper price i would be doing the same thing. But we all should at least give them a chance.... i have heard nothing but good things about them. If i am wrong someone tell me what is wrong with their product. Otherwise i will be buying their heads in the near future. And if there product is as good as i think it is...so will everyone else...and then the ones who are making loads of money of of the consumers will have to drop there prices at least a little it to compete. Maybe I'm full of it but that's my 2 cent worth.

Last edited by Need2gofaster; 08-21-2004 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll break my Patriot Performance S2 5.3L head price down to you guys:

Heads: $1,200 (did the install myself)

First Spring swap because of broken spring after 4k miles: $380 (labor only), this also included the need for new shaved rockers to clear the retainers because they did not fit right...thanks TSP for help with that one. (Either that or buy $500 rockers as I was told...sigh)

Second Spring swap because of broken spring after 5k miles: $295 (labor) + $115 (tow being 30 miles from the shop), From this swap I found out that my two heads are DIFFERENT and require two different types of seats because they are machined different, this delayed my daily driver to be down an extra 3 days.

Total: $1990
-Did not include MLS gaskets (wish they did)
-Did not include Head bolts (paid TSP for the install kit)

The only thing I have liked about PP is the customer service, which has been excellent.

Power is lacking, 390rwhp with H/C is not very stout, an A4 car on the same dyno as me, same cam, diff heads, same bolt-ons, unlocked put down 7more rwhp, lock it and he'll have even more...

My final opinion is that since I got one of the first run of heads I got the shaft, and I got it hard.

Did PP help me out since they chose shitty springs? Yes, I got new ones for free.
Labor isn't free, nor is downtime.

I initially did heads on the car for more power, so I didn't have to swap springs (this was before Larry's tool was around and made it easy), This has ended up costing as much as ABC's heads and performing a lot less, to me, that is not very cool. The only reason I paid labor for my springs was because it's my Daily Driver and I had to be to work the next day and could not afford to have downtime.

PP could make this up to me by trading me a new set of properly machined, flow tested, nice heads, but I doubt this will happen with me posting this, and I don't expect them to.

Take from my exp what you will, I had a bad one, others have had better.
-Steve
Old 08-21-2004, 12:53 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i completely agree with KingCrapBox. but PP does serve its niche for people who just want to slap an off the shelf h/c combo on a budget. if you understand what your getting then there is no problem, but the PP "budge factor" goes out the window when people spend more and more money to try and "fix" there low number setup. PP has good "advertised" flow numbers but your average PP buyer isnt gonna spend the time to have his set independently spec'd and flowed with and intake. i think if they did it would suprise them.

-edit: V8maro just proved my point.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jrp
i completely agree with KingCrapBox. but PP does serve its niche for people who just want to slap an off the shelf h/c combo on a budget. if you understand what your getting then there is no problem, but the PP "budge factor" goes out the window when people spend more and more money to try and "fix" there low number setup. PP has good "advertised" flow numbers but your average PP buyer isnt gonna spend the time to have his set independently spec'd and flowed with and intake. i think if they did it would suprise them.

-edit: V8maro just proved my point.
How come you were able to say what I was trying to say in so much less space?
Old 08-21-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

How can AFR heads be compared to PP heads. WOW so the pp heads are $669 cheaper then the AFR heads. well atleast the AFR heads have alot of room for more improvement, being extra port work and miling. Not to mention the reliabilty of a head designed to hold up to big boosted and NOS cars. Theres no worries of sinking valve seats or massive oil consuption with AFR heads. wow its like we are comparing hyundias to chevys here.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

So i guess the jest of the whole thing is they have a good product, but not as good as most of their competitors? Thanks for the imput v8maro.....the customers need to hear the god and the bad. I finally thought someone was doing this the right way and saving us money but i guess i was wrong
Old 08-21-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by v8maro
I'll break my Patriot Performance S2 5.3L head price down to you guys:

Heads: $1,200 (did the install myself)

First Spring swap because of broken spring after 4k miles: $380 (labor only), this also included the need for new shaved rockers to clear the retainers because they did not fit right...thanks TSP for help with that one. (Either that or buy $500 rockers as I was told...sigh)

Second Spring swap because of broken spring after 5k miles: $295 (labor) + $115 (tow being 30 miles from the shop), From this swap I found out that my two heads are DIFFERENT and require two different types of seats because they are machined different, this delayed my daily driver to be down an extra 3 days.

Total: $1990
-Did not include MLS gaskets (wish they did)
-Did not include Head bolts (paid TSP for the install kit)

The only thing I have liked about PP is the customer service, which has been excellent.

Power is lacking, 390rwhp with H/C is not very stout, an A4 car on the same dyno as me, same cam, diff heads, same bolt-ons, unlocked put down 7more rwhp, lock it and he'll have even more...

My final opinion is that since I got one of the first run of heads I got the shaft, and I got it hard.

Did PP help me out since they chose shitty springs? Yes, I got new ones for free.
Labor isn't free, nor is downtime.

I initially did heads on the car for more power, so I didn't have to swap springs (this was before Larry's tool was around and made it easy), This has ended up costing as much as ABC's heads and performing a lot less, to me, that is not very cool. The only reason I paid labor for my springs was because it's my Daily Driver and I had to be to work the next day and could not afford to have downtime.

PP could make this up to me by trading me a new set of properly machined, flow tested, nice heads, but I doubt this will happen with me posting this, and I don't expect them to.

Take from my exp what you will, I had a bad one, others have had better.
-Steve
I have a friend that had a similar experience to yours. This is not heresay, I saw it myself. Patriot worked with him and gave him some credit for additional expenses incured, due to valvesprings breaking, and retainers that hit the rockers. Good customer service. Bad having your customers do R&D for you. It seems that Patriot has made improvements in their heads, and some local guys are making good power with them. I'll bet if you asked my buddie if he would have rather paid more money for a different set of heads, the answer would be , YES .

Bruce
Old 08-21-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mike m
How can AFR heads be compared to PP heads. WOW so the pp heads are $669 cheaper then the AFR heads. well atleast the AFR heads have alot of room for more improvement, being extra port work and miling. Not to mention the reliabilty of a head designed to hold up to big boosted and NOS cars. Theres no worries of sinking valve seats or massive oil consuption with AFR heads. wow its like we are comparing hyundias to chevys here.
You had that same feeling? "ABC"="AFR"
I agree with you. Apples to Apples but for budgets, PP has increased their product quality from their mistakes. Springs are not an issue anymore (PP GOLD DUALS), Seals have been revised, and with a little hand polishing, their 5.3 Stage II do a nice job for the price.
However I still chose to go with "ABC"205's
Old 08-21-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hardtop
I have a friend that had a similar experience to yours. This is not heresay, I saw it myself. Patriot worked with him and gave him some credit for additional expenses incured, due to valvesprings breaking, and retainers that hit the rockers. Good customer service. Bad having your customers do R&D for you. It seems that Patriot has made improvements in their heads, and some local guys are making good power with them. I'll bet if you asked my buddie if he would have rather paid more money for a different set of heads, the answer would be , YES .

Bruce
I agree Bruce... But these unfortunate things happened in the past and are old news now.. I'd certainly give my recommendation on them. I've installed three sets of these on local cars and am very impressed with the quality.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

I think this is great Patriot feels confident enought in their product to endorse independent tests on a national message board with high traffic.

With that said, I would like Patriot to flow a set of 5.7 heads and post the numbers and please don't use the published numbers on the website. I had mine flowed separately and they were "different" compared to the published numbers.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

okay let me get a few things straight pp made less hp and 10 less tq with a 7cc smaller chamber .035 larger vavle diameter 45cc larger intake runner yeh 45
it looks to me like pp is saving all their money in the r&d department

Old 08-21-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like Patriot, I have their Gold Dual Springs on my stock heads. However, I'm a little surprised that they brag about making within 1 hp of brand X heads when they had 1.2 higher compression ratio. Figure 4% per point, that would be 4.8% or about 20 hp on a 400 hp engine. So if you want to compare apples to apples, the Patriot heads made 21 less hp than brand X. I'll take the lower Comp Ratio anyday with my 91 octane gas I can get here in Phoenix!
Old 08-21-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

well i was considering the patriot dual spring kit as opposed to the 918's and tit. retainers....is this a bad move? its for a f10 on a 114 in and m6 stock heads. Just thought Id ask since their springs have been mentioned
Old 08-21-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
well i was considering the patriot dual spring kit as opposed to the 918's and tit. retainers....is this a bad move? its for a f10 on a 114 in and m6 stock heads. Just thought Id ask since their springs have been mentioned
PP "Gold" duals are the best available duals on the market.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

i was looking at the ones from speed inc and tsp..their like 295 or something.are those the ones?

Quick Reply: Patriot Performance