Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons of Aluminum block VS Iron Block?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pros and Cons of Aluminum block VS Iron Block?

I heard the ls2 block will be aluminum with the 6.0L

Im building a motor with the iron block 6.0L currently. I understand the iron block is heavier, but what else is the difference between the two in regards to power or anything else.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HEAT.............. I come out side after driving 8 miles home from work and 6 hrs later its still boiling under the hood..... Thats hood closed. It takes a while to cool it down..... My engine temps stay at 184-196, single fan for blower kit and stock thermo tuned for a 160 though..... 90 degree temps with humidity over 110.... thats the only down side i see so far... and the weight.
Kyle
Old 08-28-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iron blocks are obviously stronger. The iron block will twist and distort less. Aluminum tends to warp when overheated, iron is more resistant to it. I guess adding a girdle to an aluminum engine will take care of alot of the rigidity problems. Iron can also be bored out more. I think the recommended max bore of the lq4 is .030, and have heard of people safely boring up to .060. I think it is also easier to stroke the iron block , you dont have to notch the bottom of the sleeves like you would need to on the lsx.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The iron block weighs 100lbs. more than aluminum. This is a big deal to me.
Hp is higher with iron because more pressure is built in the cylinder when less heat is transferred out thru thermal conductivity. Iron will stay rounder and flatter as temperature rises and falls thru normal high output use. It is these reasons Pro Stock cars use iron blocks when they could use aluminum and take advantage of a light frontend and place weight better in rear to make their min. weight. Bottom line is if aluminum ls1 is machined properly it is still best choice for my street car use N/A.
The following users liked this post:
dtindall8705 (10-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of Aluminum block VS Iron Block?