Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to buy a short block

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like both tuners that responded to this post are capable of building you a great motor. APE did my blower setup and has been great to deal with.

Some general points to consider before spending a dime on a new motor:

-- Shop for a tuner that is local, has a good reputation, and fair prices.

-- *NEVER* shop for price and price alone. It is very easy to manipulate the price by providing low quality parts or by farming out the build to the lowest bidder ( who, if/when there is a problem will likely point the finger elsewhere).

-- After you find a tuner order all of your parts directly from the tuner and have them installed and tuned by the same tuner. I have seen a number of cases where customers drop off a bunch of mismatched parts ( from eBay or wherever ) at a tuner and only use a tuner for assembly. This is the absolute worst approach imaginable. Use your tuners years of experience to help you pick a heads / cam / CI or FI setup that is ideal for *your* situation.

Regards,

Mark
Old 08-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1984camaroz28, I would recommend you seriously sit down and list what exactly you want the car to do. Daily driver and 10's on juice, my friends stock bottom 02SS does that with a little 150shot, been threw over 500runs in one year also. My car, bottom 11's (11.001) and no heads on mine, just a cam and shots of juice, daily driver for both of the above, around 10k a year or more. But a built engine will take the abuse much better then the stock bottom. If you ask for a stroker and say you want it to go mid 11 NA and 10 on juice, I would say buy a rotating assembly and call it good or maybe one of the SLP 402's, not spec built (at least anything other than stock spec) like ring gap etc. Bottom line, think about, research (use the search button) look for each builders name, and read their actual customers replies to the work performed. Some people just dont like certain shops based off someone elses experience or mindless ranting.

Good luck

Charlie
Old 08-30-2004, 09:20 PM
8 Second Club

the car is not a daily drive its just another toy i have. The only concern i have is that the 346ci motor wont be enought to get me in the 10s on spray. Sense i just got a new job i set new goals i wana be able to run low 11s on motor and mid to low 10s on spray. I am not familiar witht he LS1 motor at all so i need some help
Old 08-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Launching!

im also looking for a nice forged bottom end and some better pistons so i can spray around 200. can you guys pm me some prices? ill have a perfectly good core.