Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Destroked LS1 Questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 09:58 AM
AM2
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nevermind dont ask yourself that. you have completly different goals for your car. or bash away 777. YA YA YA YA BASH BASH BASH BASH YA YA. i can feel it coming.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are you talking about..your last two posts...i don't follow what you are saying
Old 09-03-2004, 10:05 AM
AM2
Teching In

i give up.

go do something else.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

AM2 - I think with the RPMs you want to turn you probably don't need to destroke the motor unless you have other concerns besides piston speeds. I am not an expert compared to many who post on this board but maybe we can turn this thread back on track. Just based on math, with the stock stroke you would be dealing with piston speeds @ 8000 rpms only about 200 ft/min faster than a 4" stroke at 7000 rpm. 7000 rpm w/ a 4" stroke is pretty common. @ 9000 you are looking at about 800 ft/min over the 4". Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to give thier input for when the piston speed is too much.

I would focus more on the top end, especially the oiling system at those revs, particularlly for a road corse car. I have heard that many people have had problems @ 7500+. I remember reading that the Colonel (posted in the thread I posted on pg 1) had a lot of issues getting oil to the top end at HIGH rpms.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:51 AM
AM2
Teching In

XIII, thats an interesting point. there is so much to think about to shift an engines limits so much higher. this was just to inquire about doing it. it seems it may be far fetched. i guess nobody has done it for a reason. but who knows.

Drew

XIII, I dig your Sig aswell......

OT but did you happen to catch Dem. Zell Millers speech....Dayamn
Old 09-03-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

AM2, If the setup going to be for road course then go with 4.125 Bore stock LS1 Stroke or 4.000 Bore and 4.8 crank and keep the engine N/A. The larger difference between the bore and stroke will really help your engine rev freely close to 8000RPM. U will have a really broad power band with such a setup and its more stable for a road course setup than a turbocharger. Just my .02
Old 09-03-2004, 11:26 AM
AM2
Teching In

yeah i would not mind having a n/a motor to 8K..that would be fine with me.
i might try to look into that also.

i just thought that a turbo setup would give the torque/hp curve a HUGE flat line from 4 - 8K. i might just look into a 20B for the Rx. i dont know yet.

i really wanted to step away from the rotory engines and a turbo/ls1/fd rx would be amazing and very different.

i just want the high power..longer. thats it.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AM2
XIII, thats an interesting point. there is so much to think about to shift an engines limits so much higher. this was just to inquire about doing it. it seems it may be far fetched. i guess nobody has done it for a reason. but who knows.

Drew

XIII, I dig your Sig aswell......

OT but did you happen to catch Dem. Zell Millers speech....Dayamn
Drew,
There are other issues but I am sure with enough work you can get around them. Don't let this stuff get you discouraged. People have done it. I would contact one of the sponsers around here to get some ideas. MTI is building Colonels car. I know HPE is doing Slomaro's car. Both are N/A but I would imagine they are/will be turning more revs then you plan to. I don't know of anything like this Thunder has done, but I highly recommend them, they are very helpful. Good luck, and keep us posted if you go the LS1 route. I think its great when people try new ideas.

Thanks. I missed the speech but read about it. Just FYI, some members of this board are very political and this could very easily hijack your thread. There is a political section in the racers lounge you might want to check out. - Trey
Old 09-03-2004, 12:19 PM
AM2
Teching In

Originally Posted by XIII
Thanks. I missed the speech but read about it. Just FYI, some members of this board are very political and this could very easily hijack your thread. There is a political section in the racers lounge you might want to check out. - Trey
lol ok thanks for the heads up.

i will try to go the ls1 route. i think it is one of the best swaps you could do, hybrid wise. this project reminds me so much of a shelby cobra. im so excited. do you reccomend buying a used ls1 or know any place that sells new shorts for good price?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:49 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Well, if you really want to do this you're better off starting with a SBC.

Many more people have been there and got the t-shirt.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AM2
lol ok thanks for the heads up.

i will try to go the ls1 route. i think it is one of the best swaps you could do, hybrid wise. this project reminds me so much of a shelby cobra. im so excited. do you reccomend buying a used ls1 or know any place that sells new shorts for good price?
Depends on what your plans are. Where are you located? That way you might have access to someone local. Unless you have a lot of experience building motors I would suggest you skip trying to build your own for something this extreme. I know APE has some good deals on here alot. I have seen first hand some pretty extreme nitrous motors LME has put together locally. I would call one of them (both sponsers) or the ones I listed above and talk to them about your goals. You have some options with parts as well as using the stock bore, resleeving an aluminum block, or using an iron block. I would talk to them and see what fits your ideas and budget.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

4.125 bore x 3.622 stroke + solid-roller camshaft/valvetrain = lots of usable RPM's. There are a LOT of other things that must be done to a setup like this to make it work, however. Don't think for a second it's going to be easy or cheap.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z98
Well, if you really want to do this you're better off starting with a SBC.

Many more people have been there and got the t-shirt.

unless he gets an aluminum block he wont have the weight advantage of an ls1. as i said earlier get a used ls1 block and have it resleaved with the stock stroke then put a turbo on that. or keep it N/A but either way you'll be making big numbers
Old 09-04-2004, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
If u found a 3.200 stroke you can get a 306CiD LS1 with the stock Bore of 3.622. Going to 8K or even 9K in a V8 will require a stout top end too. U might want to get forged pistons and rods too. I never heard of anyone taking their LS1 to 8k yet. If you are going to turbocharge the LS1 then u dont need to take it that high since u will have full boost around 3K RPM with a T76. U can take the 346CID to 7200RPM or so with no problems, but again u will need to change pushrods, springs, ti retainers, and valves to do so safely. Also the choice of the Cam will be really important to hold the power you want to redline. Good luck.

I've heard of the guys on CZ28 destroking LS1's and spining them to 10k for road race applications. There are kits specifically sold to destroke the motors.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sky042
I've heard of the guys on CZ28 destroking LS1's and spining them to 10k for road race applications. There are kits specifically sold to destroke the motors.
10K RPM!!!!!! I would like to see some proof about this.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
10K RPM!!!!!! I would like to see some proof about this.

CZ28 Advanced tech forum.

I'm gonna guess you'd have to do some searching on it since I read the thread like 2 years ago. It seemed to be kinda popular for a while after GM came out with that one camaro factory hotrod that had a 302 LS1 in it. IIRC the kits were very expensive like $10k-14k and it'd seemed to be road racers who wanted it. I haven't been to CZ28 in a long time so I don't know if they keep a technical archive of old threads or not.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Someone is applying "ricer" thinking to LS1 territory, Hmmmm, I wonder who that is.
SBC is your cost effective sensible option.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

you guys are morons. no really though how are you keeping this thread technical other than you think and mabey ideas your not so leave your a cancer to this thread he gave a goal and wants some feedback on how to accomplish it. hey i have an idea lets bore a ls1 block to it's max bore? ah thats stupid if the stroke isnt square then it's not worth biulding it either needs to be square or stroked. if you guys think it wont work then explain why it wont instead of sounding like an *** and just bashing the guy
Old 09-04-2004, 04:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rons 00z
you guys are morons. no really though how are you keeping this thread technical other than you think and mabey ideas your not so leave your a cancer to this thread he gave a goal and wants some feedback on how to accomplish it. hey i have an idea lets bore a ls1 block to it's max bore? ah thats stupid if the stroke isnt square then it's not worth biulding it either needs to be square or stroked. if you guys think it wont work then explain why it wont instead of sounding like an *** and just bashing the guy
Take it with good heart.
GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND LEARN HOW TO SPELL.
At least we are educated morons.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

With a car as light as a RX7, there is no need for a ton of torque on a road course. It is all about the gearing... Plus, IMO a turbo will just unsettle the chassis when boost hits. Build yourself a nice forged solid-roller and set gearing accordingly. You will go stupid fast with less hassle. My $.02...

Quick Reply: Destroked LS1 Questions.....