Sponsored by:

Just venting a bit...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just venting a bit...

Can't really blame anyone but myself...

Today I decided to put thread sealant on the rocker bolts. I had recently installed the TR224 cam, and I forgot to put sealant on the intake bolts. So the car was smoking a bit. (Almost everyone knows about ported heads causing the car to smoke if the rocker bolts are sealed correctly.)

Well, to make a long story short. I get to the very last bolt on the passenger head. Very back, under the cowl ... The bolt tightens down like it should.. then my stomach just dropped. It got tight, and all of a sudden it was like was starting all over again.. Freakin stripped the hardest damn hole to get to.

Gonna spend the weekend pulling the head, and retapping the hole.

Shopping list:
Passenger Head Gasket
1 set of head bolts

Also decided to get some valve seals and the Crane tool. Might as well change the seals while I'm at it..

Man.. I feel like **** right now..
Old 10-15-2004, 06:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear what happend. Hope you get everything all good again.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:57 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been there and done that as well.... except I was changing valve springs with the heads on the car.

I did the passenger side first on a friday night using the normal two jaw spring compressor and decided the next morning to go pick up the spring compressor that mounts in rocker arm boss and compresses the spring using the bolt. I was flying through the driver's side so quick I was kicking myself for not doing it this way on the passenger side, that is until I snapped a bolt in the very last spring which happened to be the number 7 cylinder.

So the head got pulled, tapped, helicoiled ect but I learned my lesson quickly. Next time (hopefully there won't be one), but I will get a hardened bolt rather than a regular store bolt.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea..
That's what I gotta do too.. Do you remember what sized helicoil you used? Oh well... it'll be easier to change the valve seals

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I've been there and done that as well.... except I was changing valve springs with the heads on the car.

I did the passenger side first on a friday night using the normal two jaw spring compressor and decided the next morning to go pick up the spring compressor that mounts in rocker arm boss and compresses the spring using the bolt. I was flying through the driver's side so quick I was kicking myself for not doing it this way on the passenger side, that is until I snapped a bolt in the very last spring which happened to be the number 7 cylinder.

So the head got pulled, tapped, helicoiled ect but I learned my lesson quickly. Next time (hopefully there won't be one), but I will get a hardened bolt rather than a regular store bolt.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn dude that sux, can't wait to see your numbers with my old cam that set-up sounds sweet