Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In middle of CAM install, need help ASAP w/rod/lifter trick.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at that picture, the holes seem to be between the bottom of the lifter and the top of the cam. I don't understand how the lifters are going to drop and hit the cam if the rods are in place.

Originally Posted by P Mack
The holes are slightly above the cam. There's a good picture on ls1howto.com. If the lifter fell but not all the way, you could just hold it up with a pen magnet to get the cam back in.

Last edited by HavATampa; 10-24-2004 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my crappy picture. I think this is right.
Attached Thumbnails In middle of CAM install, need help ASAP w/rod/lifter trick.-lifters.jpg  
Old 10-24-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks PMack, that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to make that diagram. That's why the rods are made with the flat part cut out, because that's the side that faces the lifter. Doesn't answer the question why hourang was able to drop the lifters even with a rod without the cutout. You would think a round rod wouldn't fit in the hole, with the lifters being in the way.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah it was messed up, a unmodified 5/16" rod could slide in with ease and i could easily push most ALL of the lifters to the cam with the rods in place. there was one lifter that would not stay up in its cup at all, it was constantly touchin the cam, thats how we knew it wasnt holding. now i heard some ppl say it wont fall to the pan with the rod in place but will touch the cam, now how are you supposed to remove the cam with the lifter touching? anyway, we went ahead and bought the 16 pen magnets, tried not to ruin them so we could return $50 worth of them, for some reason after we put the pen magnet on the lifter that would not stay up, it was holding up on its own after. it was weird cuz on my stock headed car the lifters held up there soo much that you had to push down on the rods hard to get it out of the cups, his car was like you sneeze on it and the lifter came out of the cup. must be the new heads or somethin.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what hourang is trying to say is by looking at my attached image, even if you rotate the cam while pulling it out to put the lifter back up, the lobe will only lift it so much( a falling lifter will continue to go back down). So what to do to get the cam in and out? Use pen magnets on the lifter thats being a bitch. This kind of negates the whole purpose of the rods if you ask me.
Attached Thumbnails In middle of CAM install, need help ASAP w/rod/lifter trick.-lifters2.jpg