Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G5X3 daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 07:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah an ARP kit would be nice too, I'll have to add that to my list, I might as well wait to get heads while I'm at it huh? With the G5X3 cam, you don't have to spin all that high to make power, do a search and you'll see some dyno graphs of the cam actually making peak power around mid to low 6k range, so I don't see anyone shifting past 6800, maybe not even 6600. As far as the 500+/-, thats deffinitely price, im shooting for 400rwhp cam only.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol, dont expect to spend 500. Expect much much more. All those little costs add up. Oh, dont even bother with the cam if you dont have all your bolt ons.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Insomniak
you will need hardened pushrods.. its another added insurance thing.
Originally Posted by Red91vette
I know I'll need new springs, retainers, clutch, and pushrods.
Just going off of what I read, this step isn't necessary the best choice for us M6 drivers. Reason being, hardened pushrods are less likely to bend themselves but more likely to do worse internal problems like lifter damage. So as a failsafe it might be better for you just to keep some stock ones in. This way if something goes wrong, such as a severe misshift, you can just replace rods instead of lifters or valves. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just trying to help

Justin
Old 10-26-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

While that is true about the stock ones being able to bend, do you really want your pushrods flexing at high rpm? The hardened pushrods can handle the extra stress from the stiffer springs and higher rpms. The stock ones will have a little flex and so you won't be getting quite the true geometry that should be going on.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

Everyone keeps getting that figure messed up, 500 is the amount of money I am looking to spend on the tuning alone, I know the parts will add up to a lot more. I am now considering going back to turbo because for the power I will make with this cam, I could make more with a turbo but be keep my mpg gas mileage and be able to daily drive the car a lot better. The price with the cam swap just keeps going up, so I might just do a custom STS kit on my own, can't see paying 3500 when I can do it for cheapier, but there are a lot of other kits coming out that seem good and cheap prices, I guess the best thing to do is just save my money for now, im so indecisive! So what is the best thing to do, get hardened pushrods or not?
Old 10-27-2004, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

yes to hardened pushrods. They'll handle the harder ramps at RPM.

Softer pushrods are not good insurance on a motor
Old 10-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt even think of swapping the cam and re-using the stock push rods.

For the cam swap your going to need a gasket kit, the cam, timing chain, push rods, ti retainers, springs and valve seals.

Remember, your going to be leaving quite a bit of power on the table without a ls6 intake, ported throttle body and headers along with a nice y-pipe.

If you make 380+ you'll need a clutch really quick then your thinking about snapping the 10 bolt which will cost 2,400.00 for a built 12 bolt. The drivetrain has to be done with any power adder in my eyes. Bang for the buck, I think a cam is probaly the best route. Nitrous is fine but it can get expensive to keep filling the bottle.

Do it once, the right way or wait until you have the loot.

Quick Reply: G5X3 daily driver?