Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what would be faster in a 1/4 mile??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 01:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an M6 SS and I raced an A4 WS6 from a dig one time.. both are cars were stock. He got me off the line, untill about the top of second I was gettin closer to him, once I hit third I passed him at a pretty nice pace..
Old 11-12-2004, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default You should have passed him.

Isn't the later model SS Camaro equipped with SLP Dual-Dual exhaust and rated about 25 more HP at the flywheel more than the WS6 ... stock? If you didn't pull on him, I would have returned my car to the dealership and asked for my money back. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. I know I looked at a new SS about 2 years ago and it was advertised on the dealer spec sheet that it was rated at 345 HP ... same as the 'vette ... with not a lot of weight difference.

The post read for 'an A4 trans am 2002 and i want to race a M6 camaro2001?' Original posting was not indicating WS6 or SS versions with performance suspensions and exhausts. The guy wanted to see timeslips on the type of car he had and the type of car he was racing. I wish I could help ... anyone have stock timeslips for the guy?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An ls1 is an ls1 is an ls1. Dont believe the bull as far as ram air - and while free flowing exhaust helps, the SLP dual dual is probably good for little more than 5 real HP anyway. I would go as far as to say that variations in build quality make a bigger difference on the dyno than ram air / different models. The 02 vetter was rater 350 HP, and my 02 camaro was rater 310. Put them both on the rollers and i highly doubt youll see that 40 HP difference. Infact there's a good chance the f-body will dyno higher than the vette because of less parasitic drivetrain losses. Dont believe the hype between models. Higher HP ratings helps sell more expensive cars.

-T
Old 11-12-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Default ... agreed ... sorta'

I think the tune on the WS6 and the SS is variable in nature. An LS1 is indeed an LS1 ... noooooottttt. Some are stronger than others and run better times than others straight off the lot ... except you can't overlook the fact that some have a lighter LS6 block ... '99's have the LS1 intake, larger cam, 26.6 injectors. My wife's came with the LS6 intake, a smaller cam, larger injectors, and no EGR/AIR. My '99 would beat my wife's 2002 Trans Am hands-down ... when they both were stock. So, I would somewhat disagree that an LS1 is and LS1 is anLS1. How about that vette being-fly-by wire for throttle response. My '99 has great throttle response because it has a small TB cam. The one on my wife's is larger, decreasing response time. So, stock-for-stock all LS1's are not the same ... some even come close to being substantially different.

Assuming the same LS1 engines with identical components and specs would be, IMHO, what the originator of this thread was asking. Would have to have him chime in to clarify. Maybe someone can post timeslips as he had requested. He hasn't received any, yet.

I love my A4 !!!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

someone mentionned posting a time slip from a stock car.... so heres a time slip from my bone stock (at the time) 01 camaro m6, on stock tires, raceweight a little over 3600 lbs. this run was in georgia, on june 11, so it goes without saying that the conditions were pretty much guaranteed to be hot and humid as hell.

60'- 2.137
330- 5.755
1/8- 8.638 @ 85.89
1000- 11.084
1/4- 13.151 @ 109.66

hope that helps.
-ChrisJ
Old 11-12-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChrisJ
someone mentionned posting a time slip from a stock car.... so heres a time slip from my bone stock (at the time) 01 camaro m6, on stock tires, raceweight a little over 3600 lbs. this run was in georgia, on june 11, so it goes without saying that the conditions were pretty much guaranteed to be hot and humid as hell.

60'- 2.137
330- 5.755
1/8- 8.638 @ 85.89
1000- 11.084
1/4- 13.151 @ 109.66

hope that helps.
-ChrisJ
Here is mine (01' WS6 A4):

Reaction +.280
60'- 2.020
330- 5.657
1/8- 8.604 @ 85.53
1000- 11.138
1/4- 13.298 @ 104.61

For an A4 comparison.
-Jack
Old 11-12-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
An LS1 is indeed an LS1 ... noooooottttt. Some are stronger than others and run better times than others straight off the lot
Re-read what i wrote:
I would go as far as to say that variations in build quality make a bigger difference on the dyno than ram air / different models.

If youre going to believe GM marketing hype, then youre simply ignoring the tons of data that already disprove it. Ram air is a poor design and has very limited effectiveness. Weight is a real concern, but can easily be over come by removing the spare and jack, the rear cargo seperator, the back seats. It comes down to who dosnt mind spending more time uninstaolling, and reinstalling parts.

Injectors are a null point - they only play a part once the smaller size is maxed out. The throttle body cam is another null point - WOT is WOT, even if the gas pedal has an extra 1/4" to travel. The larger cam in the earlier f-bodies was offset by the removal of EGR and the use of the LS6 intake. Oh, and how exactly does a drive by wire TB differ from a cable one if the bores are the same? Lack of an IAC? I wouldnt think that to be enough to make a perceptible difference.

Im not debating that there are some year to year differences in cars, but on average, I would bet the 01+'s are no more than 5-10 HP stronger. Still this is not even what I was trying to say. Its that the engines in different model cars, vette vs. SS vs. z28 ws WS6 - the engines are all the same. The differeenced in the intake tract and exhaust on the vette and ram air cars are very slightly improved over other models. Even the most modest aftermarket intake and exhaust will be far more dramatic an improvement.

Lest assume a WS6 has a lid and a loud mouth. Lets assume a z28 also has a lid and a loudmouth. Which car has more power now? Im just trying to disprove that the engines in the more expensive cars are stronger than the base cars.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Default Thanks to those who posted times for the guy.

GuitsBoy ... read your post correctly the first time. Why are you here to try to disprove ANYONE? This thread is about posting timeslips. MY experiences are from MY '99, MY wife's '02 and what I'VE seen stock cars do at the track ... both A4's and M6's. This is about stock vehicles ... not SS's and WS6's that you keep reverting back to. I could argue all day long about apples and oranges with you. Noone would win. Dude asked for timeslips and this is his thread. Do you have time slips you can post to help this guy in his thread?

Your arguement is destructive, not constructive. Anything else, please take it to PM and we'll talk. I didn't come here to argue ... just to enjoy trying to help people when I can and to enjoy good company.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JEB99TA

Your arguement is destructive, not constructive. Anything else, please take it to PM and we'll talk. I didn't come here to argue ... just to enjoy trying to help people when I can and to enjoy good company.
Im sorry man, I didnt mean to be an ***. I think our differences lie primarily in our interpretations of this thread, and less in actual descrepencies of cars' performance. I do appreciate your handling this like a mature adult - even when i'm not.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:15 AM

Default ???

thank you guys for replying . i used to have a mustang and the difference in 1/4 mile between the manual trans. and automatic trans. is huge (manual is way better)i guess it is not the same in f body cars . well i'll keep you updated with what will happen when i race the m6 camaro....