Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie to Cams... Need help before X-mas

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal. Let your dad buy the cam package, and sit on it until you can afford to buy the TC and the exhaust. Cam only in an otherwise stock car will not yield amazing and fantastic results (esp. not 400rwhp).
Old 11-22-2004, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
If he is going to get you a cam and all the trimmings(springs and such) than why the hell not accept a gift. However, you'll WANT the headers on before the cam, otherwise you'll be chokin her.
my thoughts exactly! I was just looking for what would be a good cam or for suggestions on what to look for. I'm looking for a final picture cam, not a "lets buy it and drop it in a car too stock to run it" situation. The only thing I may not wait for before installing the cam may be the stall. I dont see a reason why not having a stall but having the exhaust w/cam would be horrible until I can get the stall. Short of having to pay for tuning a second time.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCamaro
my thoughts exactly! I was just looking for what would be a good cam or for suggestions on what to look for. I'm looking for a final picture cam, not a "lets buy it and drop it in a car too stock to run it" situation. The only thing I may not wait for before installing the cam may be the stall. I dont see a reason why not having a stall but having the exhaust w/cam would be horrible until I can get the stall. Short of having to pay for tuning a second time.
You want a performance converter to go with a came because:
1) Bigger cams produce power at higher RPM and are often times relativley weak down low. The ~1,700 stall of the stock converter, as well as the low shift extensions, will keep you out of the powerband a good amount of the time.
2) Tuning/driving. You can't just bump the idle up to get a decent idle with the stock converter because it is too tight. You need the looseness of the converter to allow a raised idle.

These things are more prominent the larger you go with the cam. Any real size cam will be much better off with the converter. However, if you have the cam and the exhaust but have to wait for the converter, it might be worthwhile to go ahead and install the cam......maybe. If you get a 224/.563 114 you will want the stall but could probably get by without it.....but on the 112 I think it would definately get hairy.