Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick tick tick tick......................................

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick tick tick tick......................................

I have this annoying noise. Having been around cars all my life I would have bet the ranch it was a bad lifter. Sooooo...... away I go and put in a new set of lifters.. I checked pushrods and rocker arms at the same time. All appeared fine.

Guess what... Tick Tick Tick Tick

Had it not been we found a serious problem while taking it apart I would be going postal!!

I am now thinking a noisy injector.. Using a stethascope, the noise appears loudest when you touch the intake or the injectors. Of course it is the same beat as the injectors or lifters.

Any idears or suggestions would be appreciated. It's going away for the winter and I would like to put it away running correctly.

Thanks

:steering:
Old 11-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Just a thought...

Have you checked for a small exhaust leak from a bad exhaust gasket or even a pinhole in one of your headers, if its in close proximity to the exhaust flange, will sometimes cause a sound similar to what you describe.

I doubt its from the lower end....I would look around for a small exhaust leak at this point seeing as you addressed the valvetrain already.

It's definately worth a shot....look all around for carbon tracking on the primary pipes....and it might be underneath where it is not so easily visible.

Good luck....let us know when you find the culprit.

Tony M.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

I have these same problems, I hope someone can find an answer cause the ticking is driving me crazy. I'm also hoping it's injectors and not valvetrain. I unplug my injectors and the sound doesnt really change much. The sound does come from the intake/injector area, but it can be heard amplified down under the car in the passenger side wheel well also.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

my car ticks pretty good on startup (not an engine tick but like a lifter or injector tick) - i believe i traced it to the tensioner pulley.- it goes away after the car runs for 5 min. or so.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:59 PM
FormerVendor

pistons slap or bad gas maybe
Old 11-21-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

My tensioner ticks at first startup. I found this out by removing the fan belt on a cold engine and starting the motor. Purrs like a kitten without the belt.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

mine only does it after the motor has been started for like 30 seconds, and continues non-stop
Old 11-21-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great idea to check the belt tensioner(or pullys)! Thats something I have not looked at. I have heard piston slap and bad wrist pins in the past.. I don't think they ae the culprit.. At least I freakin hope not!

Tony, When I put the headers back on, I used new gaskets. I used sealer on the colectors.

As stated on the original post, its loudest around the intake.

I will do some more testing tomorrow if the weather clears up.

Old 11-21-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

My tensioner ticks kinda loudly all the time! I even replaced it with a new one but it still does it. I should've just bought the katech.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Read the "Rocker Arm Preload" post in this section...I cured my tapping with adjustable rockers...Too little preload on the lifters after my cam swap caused excessive tapping that made the car sound like a Yugo with 200,000 miles on it...

Peace...Gman
Old 11-21-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a noise that sounded just like a loose rocker arm, more of a clacking noise that almost went away after the engine warmed up. Turned out to be a noisy ac compressor clutch. Like stated above, check all your pulleys, they can make some strange noises but can usually be fixed with a little grease.