Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Problems - Motor locked?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Problems - Motor locked?

Car has been down for the past 2 months.. blew the 6 speed and went ahead and got a rebuild on it.. along with..

Moser 12 bolt.. ls6 intake.. cam.. clutch dual springs and the works...ARP rod bolts..
Car is a 2000 SS
Got all the parts and tore it down to begin the install... cam and valve springs first.. everything looked good... Next were the ARP rod bolts. During the ARP rod bolt install... after 2 or 3 of the rods were done we went to spin the motor over to get to the next one and it hit on something and caught.. wouldn't spin anymore in that direction. Instead we spun it back the other way and it hit again... after about 1/2 or 3/4th of a turn... the motor will hit again... we chalked it up as something in the flywheel hitting with the clutch or maybe the pistons hitting the valves...

We finished the rod bolt install.... reassemble everything and tore out the transmission to check clutch and flywheel.. pulled both.. motor still would onlyo turn 1/2 or more one direction.. hit.. 1/2 or more the other direction... and hit...

We undid the valve train.... it still hit.

We figured something maybe had fallen in the cylinder or 2 and was preventing the motor from turning over all the way... we pulled both the heads... nothing in the cylinders.. and it was still hitting.

Basically everything aside from the bottom end is off.. and the motor is still hitting and catching on something.

Any input would be appreciated... I guess pulling the motor and checking out the bottom end again is all we can do.. but I was hoping to get some ideas of what could be wrong before we go looking blindly..

All help is most appreciated... thank you.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How did you install the rod bolts one at a time or both. I Havent done a ls1 bottom end before, but i work with alot of small engines alot at work. I have had the same thing happen with engines that 2 rods conect to one crank journal. If the rods dont seat together right they bind on each other. just a thought.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by conan
How did you install the rod bolts one at a time or both. I Havent done a ls1 bottom end before, but i work with alot of small engines alot at work. I have had the same thing happen with engines that 2 rods conect to one crank journal. If the rods dont seat together right they bind on each other. just a thought.

We did it per ARP instructions, one at a time.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would look for the head of the bolts touching somewhere at the base of the cylinder.

Kurt
Old 11-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 427
I would look for the head of the bolts touching somewhere at the base of the cylinder.

Kurt

Noted... will check.. anything
else?
Old 11-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS346Ls1
Noted... will check.. anything
else?

None of the resident mechanics or engine builders have a clue?

Old 11-23-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like rods bolts hanging up on a cylinder wall. The two rod journals hanging up on one another is a possibility but not likely in my opinion. Just need to pull it apart and all will be clear.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by strokedls1
Sounds like rods bolts hanging up on a cylinder wall. The two rod journals hanging up on one another is a possibility but not likely in my opinion. Just need to pull it apart and all will be clear.

If a rod bolt is hanging on the cylinder wall... how do we go about fixing that? I know for a fact all of them were torqued down 3 times per ARP's instructions.. how do we get it out of the way?
Old 11-23-2004, 07:09 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an off the wall question, but are you sure a lifter didn't fall and get lodged somewhere? Just a thought I am sure some of the others know what they are talking about just want to give you a thought from outside the box I know you said you had the valve train togeather just wanted to double check.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS346Ls1
If a rod bolt is hanging on the cylinder wall... how do we go about fixing that? I know for a fact all of them were torqued down 3 times per ARP's instructions.. how do we get it out of the way?
Slight grinding at the base of the cylinder wall, in the aluminum casting. I had to do it to clearance the rod bolt heads for my 383. But it does indeed sound like you need to drop the oil pan and take a look. But it's odd that it would happen on a stock stroke...
Old 11-24-2004, 01:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Just an off the wall question, but are you sure a lifter didn't fall and get lodged somewhere? Just a thought I am sure some of the others know what they are talking about just want to give you a thought from outside the box I know you said you had the valve train togeather just wanted to double check.

will double check.. cam was in and the lifters were fine though..
Old 11-24-2004, 01:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Slight grinding at the base of the cylinder wall, in the aluminum casting. I had to do it to clearance the rod bolt heads for my 383. But it does indeed sound like you need to drop the oil pan and take a look. But it's odd that it would happen on a stock stroke...

will check it out as soon as we pull the motor.. thanks...

Would yours turn 3/4th or so and then hit in each direction? and would it be a hard hit? which completely stops it from spinning?