Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car bucking/surging, coolant gauge dying, jumping, etc.

Old 11-25-2004, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car bucking/surging, coolant gauge dying, jumping, etc.

Here's the latest drama...

A short while ago (3 weeks...) I blew a head gasket on my first run after nitrous. This was while I was getting the car tuned, so obviously I didn't have much time to make sure things were safe.

Anyway, I had the heads taken off and milled ab it (They were already milled originally...) and new gaskets put in. The machine shop also pressure checked the heads, etc.

Today, when I get in the car and head to work, I'm not doing any odd acceleration or anything (too early, I wasn't awake enough yet... ), just driving normally, and the car starts bucking and surging...like it's going to shut off, but I gas it and it stays running, albeit not well. It tries to shut off a few more times but I look down and the temp gauge in the dash is bouncing from zero back to the middle again and obviously, is coinciding with the car shutting off. I popped the coolant cap and such and everything was fine. Full tank, no air apparently, etc.

So, what the hell is the gremlin this time? Why does my car keep wanting to die and turn back on, and why does my temp gauge keep bouncing? I can't keep fixing this damn thing . Tell me something good...

Mike
Old 11-25-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like an electrical problem - did you remove any ground straps or mess with the battery lately?
Old 11-25-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the gauge bounces, check the temp snesor on the driver side head and see if the wire may be frayed or not connected well
Old 11-25-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is because of your temp sensor, you might have cracked the housing on the sensor. If the sensor was bad then it would cause your guage to jump, and then your computer re-calibrates itself for the wrong temp and your car surges.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

I would almost bet money on the coolant temp sensor. After my header install mine would buck/ just die going down the road sometimes. Couldnt find anything, buddy hooked up hp to it and the temp going to the pcm was -30degrees! But the gauge read good. So we shook it a little and the car would die. One of the wires were loose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car bucking/surging, coolant gauge dying, jumping, etc.