Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok i put the welded lifters in but

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to use an adjustable pushrod and set it to 0 lash.You were hanging the valve open which will still give you the wrong measurements you are looking for.

PDD-please just call me when you run into a question like this.I will save you alot of time when you are in the middle of doing the work.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:29 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bet i bent a valve. i heard some crunching sounds when cranking it over this is becoming a pain in my ***. so i put the soft springs in, then put the regular lifters in with the clay??? of course ill have to take the valves out first to see if i fucked them up.thanks for the offer don, i just might have to give u a ring
Old 11-28-2004, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no idea you could bend a valve cranking it over by hand. Ouch.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
I had no idea you could bend a valve cranking it over by hand. Ouch.
You most definitely can.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Don't get upset Jason, I bet you he didn't know that "out of the hole" thing. Its a Newbie Syndrome.
thats alot of **** talk for you not to know anything about me ... chances are i have built more motors than you have, just so happens i have not been into a LS1 yet, big f*'n deal

are you telling me that the deck height is -.007? u read that in a book or see it in another post or what smarty pants?
Old 11-29-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

oh, i get it now ... your post count dick is longer than mine ... yep, you got me there, that must mean your smarter
Old 11-29-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock LS1 pistons are .007 "out of the hole" so if you just put the head on with no gasket the piston will hit the head.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

OK, so a -.007 deck height then?

Thing is that Im not used to seeing engines from the factory having the envelope pushed like these engines are. C/R approaching 11:1, 200cc heads, and now pistons coming out of the hole when normaly if I was gonna go through a motor I would have it decked to a zero deck height assuming they are in the hole from the factory. Hell, Im surprised they didnt put a dry sump system on them.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pat, you must set it to Zero Lash.

Basically, what happened here is-

Put the solid lifters in.

Used the double springs.

Rather than preload the lifter like stock, it opened the valve instead.

This is where you need the adj. pushrod or rocker arm to set to zero lash.

With out zero lash, you will do exactly what happened.

The problem is that with the preload, the lifter will compress more as you rotote the motor over because there is no oil pressure to prevent the lifter from compressing, and your PTV getting bigger .

Previously, you had 135 thou of clearance. This is way more than what that setup should have. This is because the lifter was collapsing
Old 11-29-2004, 07:03 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

ok when i wake up tomorrow im gonna check the valves to see if i bent them. then ill put the soft springs in and set the rockers to zero lash according to ls1howto.com website and also arkay99 sent me some good instuctions to set zero lash. im gonna try the dial indicator way instead of the clay and see what i come up with. im sure ill **** it up again. just waiting for the next ******* problem
Old 11-29-2004, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you mind posting what Arkay99 sent you for informational purposes? Thanks.

And good luck man, I've been following your quest for the best for a month now, hope it all works out for ya!
Old 11-29-2004, 07:18 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Viper
Do you mind posting what Arkay99 sent you for informational purposes? Thanks.

And good luck man, I've been following your quest for the best for a month now, hope it all works out for ya!
thanks bro. ok heres what arkay99 sent me:

Are the soft springs soft enough to squeeze in your bare hands? If so, here is what to do.
Remove the welded lifters and reinstall the regular lifters. Put the pair of soft springs on the number one cylinder. Put the gasket on and mount the head and just snug it down with a few bolts at light torque. Then crank the motor (by hand in the direction of run) until the lifters are on the cam base, on the back of the lobe. You may have to put a pushrod in and push the lifters down onto it as they like to stick up in the guides. Then mount your rockers on the heads with the pushrods in place but DON'T TIGHTEN them down. Just tighten them to 0 lash. Tighten until ther is no play. It's a little tricky because there is only about 5lbs. of spring pressure to play with. Once you have zero lash start crancking the engine by hand VERY slowly until the lifter starts up the lobe. When this starts happening keep cranking slowly and at the same time start pushing down on the rocker with your finger about 1/8" at a time and letting up. Somewhere about 2->4 degrees before the lifter tops out on the lobe you will start to contact the piston with the valve as you are pushing on it. When this happens put a dial indicator over the valve and right on the valve stem tip and try to get it lined up as close as you can in a straight line so there is no angular error as you push the valve with your finger. Set the indicator to .000". Now start cranking the motor again by hand in the direction of run and continue pushing and letting go of the valve when it contacts the piston. You will get to a point where the distance will be small and start ot get larger. Back up the engine and find the spot where there is the least amount of space. Re-zero your indicator with the valve at rest and then push the valve until it contacts the piston. Hold it there and read the indicator. The value you read will be your minimum p/v. This is much more accurate than reading a slice of clay. And it is more direct. When you are dealing with the tolerances in these motors I wouldn't use clay. I would use the minimum recommended clearance from TEA as they know what is best for their heads and valves. Also, if you need to cut the piston you will know by this measurement how much to cut it. If you measured .055" and the minimum is .090 then you can cut .050" and know you have .015" in the clear. Since you are doing it from just 0 lash and not a preload that is also the distance you will have with loaded lifters and springs. You may get a little more with the motor running but this will be the minimum p/v clearance and more is better.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure you use a fully compressed head gasket.I just use an old one.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:43 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

ok. i did everything in arkay's instructions. set zero lash. spun the motor till i had the least amount of space and i still come up with 195thousnadths. what the hell am i doing wrong here. i put the stock lifters back in with the soft springs from comp that i can compress easily by hand. do you think the lifters are still getting compressed??? this is still with my fm11 228/230 cam
Old 11-30-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

I'm watching from the cheap seats too. My God this stuff can be frustrating.
Good luck PDD you have been busting your *** I hope you get the dyno/track numbers you are aiming for . I take it you did not bend a valve !
Old 11-30-2004, 04:58 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mirek
I'm watching from the cheap seats too. My God this stuff can be frustrating.
Good luck PDD you have been busting your *** I hope you get the dyno/track numbers you are aiming for . I take it you did not bend a valve !
no bent valves, i checked today
Old 11-30-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pdd
no bent valves, i checked today
thats good to hear.i feel your pain man. just be patient,when it's all done you'll have a kick *** setup.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine yesterday with no problems. I used the test springs and clay along with the stock rockers. You can set the stock rockers for zero lash for checking purposes. My minimum clearence was .110", so when the lifter pre-loads it should gain another .020-.030. If it makes you feel better, I am using the same heads (milled .024) with a much larger cam and it barley nicked my clay piece. (.040) to be exact.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:10 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
I did mine yesterday with no problems. I used the test springs and clay along with the stock rockers. You can set the stock rockers for zero lash for checking purposes. My minimum clearence was .110", so when the lifter pre-loads it should gain another .020-.030. If it makes you feel better, I am using the same heads (milled .024) with a much larger cam and it barley nicked my clay piece. (.040) to be exact.
great! im swappin that cam FM14
Old 12-02-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pdd
great! im swappin that cam FM14
My pistons are .010" out of the hole and I have .150" valve reliefs. Don't forget about that. If I had flat tops, I would have made contact. My intake went .040 into the relief on the intake side and never even got close on the exaust. Intake spec'd out at 244@.050 with .612 lift + 3 degrees advance. I found that each degree more advance you go, you loose .017" intake valve clearence. The FM14 *should* clear your set-up, but I reccomend you check using the lifters you are going to run and the light test spring on the valve. It worked very easy for me and I knew my clearence in a few minutes.