Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad lifter I think?? Loud ticking noise. Need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad lifter I think?? Loud ticking noise. Need help!!!

Have a real loud ticking noise coming from my driver side valve cover ever since I did a cam swap. I have done a seach and since I replace my oil pump and didn't replace my oil pump seal I thought maybe it was the seal but I have excellent oil pressure so I took my valve cover off and put each cylinder on TDC and push on each of the rocker on the pushrod side and one of them feels real mushy or springy and since I have never owned a pushrod v8 I am not sure how they are supposed to feel. I figured that was the bad one but I would like to make sure before I have to pull the heads to replace them.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:20 PM
liqour enthusiest

Originally Posted by hc_performance
Have a real loud ticking noise coming from my driver side valve cover ever since I did a cam swap. I have done a seach and since I replace my oil pump and didn't replace my oil pump seal I thought maybe it was the seal but I have excellent oil pressure so I took my valve cover off and put each cylinder on TDC and push on each of the rocker on the pushrod side and one of them feels real mushy or springy and since I have never owned a pushrod v8 I am not sure how they are supposed to feel. I figured that was the bad one but I would like to make sure before I have to pull the heads to replace them.
if it sounded anything like this its a lifter, it usually is louder under your intake manifold, i broke a spring, bent a rod and collapsed a lifter http://home.comcast.net/~88monte/MOV01063.MPG
Old 11-27-2004, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

thanks for the reply but you video didn't work when I saved it, it just play a blank screen
Old 11-27-2004, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

I didn't notice that I posted this thread twice. Sorry about that when I posted the first thread it said that it couldn't find the server so I did it again without looking
Old 11-27-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you read the thread on here about the oil pump o-ring not being seated properly?
Old 11-27-2004, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

yes but as I already stated I have excellent oil pressure
Old 11-27-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome to the club!! I hope you can get yours figured out! :bang

Old 11-27-2004, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

Is anyone else using the turn up the radio so you can't hear it fix?
Old 11-27-2004, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

After my cam install, my engine ticked like crazy...I also thought it may be a bad lifter...But, then found some info on the internet, that said on aluminum engines, if lifter preload was too light, as the engine heated up and expanded, preload would decrease and thus the tapping/ticking...

I put a set of adjustable rockers on and all is quiet now...

By the way...When your lifters have bled down for 30 minutes or so, you can compress them by hand...The internal spring only applies about 5lbs of force...My lifters were the same as you described, when you press on the pushrod side of the lifter...

Peace...Gman
Old 11-27-2004, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Man, I have the exact same promlem since I installed my cam. I tried replacing the lifters. It stayed quiet for about 500 miles then came back (last night). Today i tried a motor flush, rinsed it out with some cheap oil, then drained it again and filled it up with royal purple. I even switched from 5/30 to 10/30 in hopes that it would help. It didn't work. I really don't know what else to do.
Good luck.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

I tried all the different oils also, from 0/30 to 20/50 to adding motor honey (that thick crap that takes 15 minutes to empty out of the quart bottle)...None of them made a difference at all...Check your lifter preload heights before you do anything else...It's easy to do and doesn't cost anything...With engine cold...Loosen the rocker bolt on each of the rockers that the valve is totally closed...Finger tighten the bolt until zero lash, from there you should get between 1-1/2 to 2 full turns of the factory rocker mounting bolt, before the rocker seats itself in the cradle...Slowly cycle the engine over (just hitting the starter for a half second or do it by hand so you don't build any oil pressure) to get the remaining valves to close that were open and repeat...

If you are getting fewer turns than the 1=-1/2, then you are pretty light on your lifter preload...

Peace...Gman
Old 11-27-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I was getting a loud ticking sound only coming from my driver side wheelwell/header area. I replaced all the lifters over a three-day weekend and the sound disappeared. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the old lifters, except for some minor scoring on the rollers.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

anyone else?

Quick Reply: Bad lifter I think?? Loud ticking noise. Need help!!!