Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean Slate - 750 HP LS1

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 12:15 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin....now that is thinking outside the box, or Rather in this case inside the Boxer6!
Old 11-30-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
do you have ur licenses etc? for the SSCC, ive read the rules, and it requires more than just a car that qualifies.
Ha! No. But, I don't see that as a major obsticle. I will probably run in the 130mph class the first time. I think it's called Grand Sport Class. Next will be the Unlimited, if they'll let me.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by strokedls1
And yes I'm in venice beach california
The GTR is an awesome ride. Cool, I will be in L.A. this Wed-Sun. It will be nice to see double-digit temperatures again. It's not really that cold up here, but it will be 5 in Reno and probably 0 at my house tonight!

Good luck with whatever project you choose...
Old 11-30-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

QUOTE=Phoenix57]The guy on the '03 power tour in a Ultima got the record for fastest speeding ticket on the tour. Sweet looking car, although the headlights are strange. he had a C5R based 427.[/QUOTE]Yes, I think the car looks a little froggy from the front. But, they have done extensive wind-tunnel testing and that's apparently the shape that works best for them up to 230 mph. There are some vid-clips and pix on the factory website, if you are interested in seeing them. http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/gtr
Old 11-30-2004, 01:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Racehead
Couple of things here

1) You don't just show up and run the unlimited class in an ORR event. It doesn't matter what car you show up in you won't be allowed to run faster than 168 mph on your 1st run, and maybe not faster than 140 mph depending on what your credentials are. You'll spend at least a couple years working your way up thru the classes so plan on doing that.
I am well aware of the rules. They are posted on the Internet. As long as the car passes inspection, it should be good for the top tech speed for a newbie...165 (page 8, Section II, Paragraph 1). Hope to be in the Fall event next year. My credentials will be adequate by Spring of '06 (as stated above), if all goes according to plan.
Originally Posted by Racehead
2) The GTR while a fantastic road car, unsurpassed OT car etc is NOT a great unlimited class ORR car. It's actually too light, the W/B is too short, and it's not very aerodynamic. You WILL be getting your *** handed to you in a major way in an unlimited class ORR event. Most likely by an fbody or a C4-C5 or a RUF Porsche or retired NASCAR ride or similiar car. Those boys out there know how to go fast. Maybe you should go as a course worker a time or 2 before actually running just so you can see what it's all about. A course worker has the best view of the event.
Or, maybe I should enter whatever class they will let me run in and gain the valuable experience, hand you your ***, and put you in line as a course worker. A 90-mile event and a course worker has the best view? Sounds like you have owned a GTR, or driven one maybe in the Silver State.

I can appreciate the advice, and I am sure it's accurate. But I really have to go with my gut regarding the car I want to build and the races I want to enter with it. And although your SSCC experience is obviously valuable, I started this thread to learn about (now) the LS2. I am a long way from actually entering the SSC (nothing to be afraid of yet ).

Was it '02 when the Porsche left the road at high speed? You probably know the fellow in Utah that showed up with a 1,300 bhp TT GTR. He had a Porsche 6-speed and took the car to about 230 mph in 5th gear before lifting on the throttle.

Racehead, you and I probably have different reasons for entering such a race. As you are aware, there are bracket speeds that one must run within in order not to be disqualified. The winners hit their times within fractions of seconds. That is an art that I have no plans to master. In the Unlimited class, you run as fast as possible. That is much more my taste. However, I don't care if someone else with more experience and a year-old street-legal NASCAR is faster than me. Although you may, I don't consider that having my *** handed to me. That might change, but, at least for the first couple of (Unlimited) events, my enjoyment will come from driving 90 miles of closed Nevada highway as fast as possible with no threat of other vehicles merging or incarseration.

I live in NV and love driving out here. I think there are something like 500 Nevada Highway Patrol. Las Vegas has about 2 millon people; Reno area about 300k. Guess where most of the police are? You can imagine the speeds people hit on their way from Reno to Elko. It's like the Autobahn.

Last edited by Builder; 11-30-2004 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DERTY
Here are some pics of a GTR that I took at my best friends car dealership. He's currently building the cars and selling them. This particular one is a SBC that is carburated. It's very cool looking in person.
Swwweeeet! Here is one with a splitter and some other body mods...

Old 11-30-2004, 02:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CAT3
Nice pics there Derty, Holland huh? Small world. Can you get some of the engine bay area?
Check out http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/gtr and go to the gallery for some good shots. All carbs, though.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Z1500
A Subaru EZ30 / EG33 fits your need strangly well. You have a super light car and don't need a huge amount of torque but do want to make 600whp and rev high. The boxer 6 gives you lower center of gravity, lighter weight that a V8, it's DOHC so rev it to 9k all day long. Build it up, tune it for 22psi on pump gas and away you go. Just a thought, right tool for the job. You notice Porsche and Ferrari do things the way they do for a reason. A Turbo LS1 just seems like way more motor than that little car needs/ can use.

Kevin
Kevin, you are right. An LS2 with a turbo is huge for a 2300 lb. car. Ain't it great! Seriously, the chassis is designed for up to 1,000 HP. I figure a 75% duty cycle is just fine. It's hard to imagine, but after being in a 425 HP version, you would know that it can handle more. The chassis/suspension/steering is really amazing. Even with all of that torque and thrust, it all feels very controllable.

However small, going with an LS2 is a departure from the factory's specs. It's designed for a Gen-1 block. I think I can handle that much of a departure on my first build. And, I am somewhat familiar with the SBC...moreso than the Subaru products (but am thinking about getting one to drive). That is a great suggestion (Boxer). In a perfect world, I will get to build many Ultimas over the coming years. No reason not to consider the Boxer. I would also like to build a Porsche-powered version. After all, it uses a G50 transaxle. There are guys putting V12 BMW engines in these little cars. One guy wants to use the new VW diesel. Another has installed two Busas and 4-wheel drive! Sick, isn't it? Got to love it!!!
Old 11-30-2004, 02:50 AM
TECH Regular

Nice pics there Derty, Holland huh? Small world. Can you get some of the engine bay area?
TT GTR .. the one that was entered in the Silver State. Kinsler FI with twin intercooled turbos! 1,300+ rwHP.

http://www.spectrum5racing.com/GTRracecar/dcp_0677.jpg
Old 11-30-2004, 03:11 AM
Restricted User

Scott, Have you looked at the LS2 section? Between there and somewhere in the LS1 section is some interesting threads on how to use the LS1crank in the LS2 block, etc...
Also, instead of flipping the intake around, you might want to check into the carb intake, a ford style 90mm TB and piping. Looks like it will fit nicely in the GTR and look more at home.

Charlie
Old 11-30-2004, 06:17 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll try to take more pictures of it. He has some on his website(http://www.acmotorcars.com), but none are of the engine bay either. http://www.acmotorcars.com/Photos%20...GTR/index.html
Old 11-30-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Scott, Have you looked at the LS2 section? Between there and somewhere in the LS1 section is some interesting threads on how to use the LS1crank in the LS2 block, etc...
Also, instead of flipping the intake around, you might want to check into the carb intake, a ford style 90mm TB and piping. Looks like it will fit nicely in the GTR and look more at home.

Charlie
Got to get there yet. I will start reading those threads ASAP. Unfortunately, I have to work too! So much to learn and so little time. Am so addicted to this build that I wish I could work on it full-time.

Do you mean switch from fuel injected and use a carb? With a TB?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:01 AM
The Bull

No, what he means is there is a GM Performance Parts carb style manifold that is now available for the LS1. Edlebrock also makes one that is similar. That manifold can be used with a carb or you can get a Wilson Manifold elbow for it that will allow you to bolt on a 90mm or even a 105mm throttle body to it. You can then wire in a Ford TPS and a IAC motor into it. That will allow you to run it still as a EFI with a carb style manifold. It gives you some really nice packaging options and the performance gain is pretty good too. They work really well for forced induction setups as well.

Here's a picture of it on Harlan's car.

Another option would be to use the LS2 manifold over a LS6. They look a lot nicer.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

No, what he means is there is a GM Performance Parts carb style manifold that is now available for the LS1. Edlebrock also makes one that is similar. That manifold can be used with a carb or you can get a Wilson Manifold elbow for it that will allow you to bolt on a 90mm or even a 105mm throttle body to it. You can then wire in a Ford TPS and a IAC motor into it. That will allow you to run it still as a EFI with a carb style manifold. It gives you some really nice packaging options and the performance gain is pretty good too. They work really well for forced induction setups as well.

Here's a picture of it on Harlan's car. (edit)

Another option would be to use the LS2 manifold over a LS6. They look a lot nicer.
That's an amazing setup. Does he have a website? I wouldn't mind seeing more pictures of that arrangement. I can see how that might fit better in the GTR engine bay. That's a great idea. Will check into that as well.

Do you know of any real-life comparisons between the Edlebrock and GM versions?

Thanks, Derty and Charlie.
PS: Checked out those sites. Livernois has some goodies.

Last edited by Builder; 11-30-2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:03 AM
The Bull

We are putting most of our pictures and videos on www.stenodracing.com. Unfortunately we have not finished our Photogallery yet with all the pictures from the last year. Hopefully we can do something over the holidays so that people can see more of it.

I don't think it would be hard at all to do a setup like Harlan's on a Ultima GTR or even a Factory Five. The engine area has a lot of room for cool ideas! I think the largest problem on this type of car would be installing a air to air intercooler for such a large engine (compared to its size). Since there is not a lot of frontal opening on the car you may have to be more creative with getting air across an intercooler somewhere.

The Edlebrock is really new, like within the last month I believe it has become available. Rumors of it and pictures have been around all year though. The only comparisons I've heard of have stated that the GMPP intake has more consistent EGT temps within several degrees on all 8 cylinders whereas the Edlebrock has varying temps between the 4 middle cylinders compared to the outer cylinders. Beyond that I do not know of any direct comparisons that have been made regarding HP or TQ numbers between the two.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

We are putting most of our pictures and videos on www.stenodracing.com.
Checked your videos. That car launches hard.
Unfortunately we have not finished our Photogallery yet with all the pictures from the last year. Hopefully we can do something over the holidays so that people can see more of it.
Nice! I look forward to seeing more...
I don't think it would be hard at all to do a setup like Harlan's on a Ultima GTR or even a Factory Five. The engine area has a lot of room for cool ideas! I think the largest problem on this type of car would be installing a air to air intercooler for such a large engine (compared to its size). Since there is not a lot of frontal opening on the car you may have to be more creative with getting air across an intercooler somewhere.
Exactly the problem. However, there are a couple of folks that have done it successfully. I plan on using the same cooler locations. The carb-type manifold may be beneficial.
The Edlebrock is really new, like within the last month I believe it has become available. Rumors of it and pictures have been around all year though. The only comparisons I've heard of have stated that the GMPP intake has more consistent EGT temps within several degrees on all 8 cylinders whereas the Edlebrock has varying temps between the 4 middle cylinders compared to the outer cylinders. Beyond that I do not know of any direct comparisons that have been made regarding HP or TQ numbers between the two.
Sounds like the GM unit is the better one for now.

I really appreciate this info. Good stuff!
Old 11-30-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Builder....

Sorry, don't have time to read all the posts and you probably have seen most of these sites but here's some links I've collected here and there. Good reading and great pics, none the less. The Ultima GTR has been my "dream car" for years.

http://www.ultimaclub.com/index-site.htm

http://www.m250.co.uk/

http://www.amerspeed.com/ultima.htm

http://www.ultima.megablade.org.uk/index.php

http://www.ultima-gtr.info/

........and the site for the ever impressive car you posted...

http://www.spectrum5racing.com/ .......just click on "cars" for lots of great pics for anyone who's interested.

RIGHT CLICK-SAVE AS (17MB) TOP GEAR TEST DRIVE

http://www.s2kca.com/photopost/data/...ma_review.mpeg

Enjoy!
Old 12-01-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WEASEL
Builder....

Sorry, don't have time to read all the posts and you probably have seen most of these sites but here's some links I've collected here and there. Good reading and great pics, none the less. The Ultima GTR has been my "dream car" for years.

Enjoy!
Thanks for those. Yes, I have been dreaming about, and planning to build, a GTR since March of this year. Started ordering little parts here and there...like interior stuff and some of the tools and supplies I will need. Now, all I have to do is tell the wife she can't park in the garage when the kit arrives. That should go over like a ton of bricks! Hey, you've got to do what you've got to do. This is going to be a an awesome experience.

Still learning about the LS1/2/6. It's looking like the 2 right now. Skoggins has a short block 402 stroker for $4k. That's a pretty good deal. I might have them make me one with some lower compression pistons in anticipation of a turbo. Thanks again...
Old 12-01-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Here are some pics of a GTR that I took at my best friends car dealership. He's currently building the cars and selling them. This particular one is a SBC that is carburated. It's very cool looking in person.

http://www.derty.org/photogallery/ca....php?cat_id=86
Hey Derty,

It looks like your friend is auctioning his GTR!

Quick Reply: Clean Slate - 750 HP LS1