Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harland Sharp rockers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harland Sharp rockers...

Has anyone else had a few of the snap rings on these rockers fail? I went to change my oil a couple of weeks ago and noticed a piece of metal stuck to the oil drain plug. I suspected it was a snap ring on the rockers, and took off the valve covers and took off all the rockers and replaced them with my stockers. Sure enough, my guess was right, some of the snap rings had broken off the rockers and made their way into the oil pan. I also pulled some pieces out of the top of the head close to the pushrod holes. After visually inspecting them off the car, I found (or didn't find) a total of 5 missing snap rings. I found most of the pieces, but some I couldn't find. Hopefully they got stuck in the oil filter and they're not floating around in my engine somewhere.

I went to the local hardware store and bought some snap rings, and I'll be installing them on the rockers. Do you guys think they will be ok, or should I get some from an auto parts store? They seem to be grade 8 rings.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

How long have you been running with the Harland Sharps? I've only had mine since the summer.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a bolt snap after after about 25 mins of open tracking. That was after about 400 miles of a fairly gentle 'break in' period. HS replaced it for free no problem, but it still sucked to have a car break at a track 150miles from home.
It's been about 2000 miles since then (no track time, except 2 drag runs) and everything runs fine now, so maybe it was a fluke. I sure hope so. Or maybe I just haven't pushed it hard enough for a long time.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:29 PM
FormerVendor

Krab sorry for the problem but please get them back to Harland they will fix them right and get you the right snap rings.

RedHardSupra yours will be good to if they replaced the bolts they are a far stronger set.

Nate
Old 11-29-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you mean there was a material fault/design fault with the ones you were selling in June 2004? Does that mean I have two good rockers and the other 14 are junk, or at least 'at risk'?
Nate, I would like you to take a look at my setup anyway, I don't think it's too healthy after the camswap, would you like to talk more detail over PM or phone, or email...?
thanks for all the help you've already given me,
Marcin

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
RedHardSupra yours will be good to if they replaced the bolts they are a far stronger set.
Nate
Old 11-29-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the replies guys, Nates customer service comes through again. I've had them on my car for about 6K miles, give or take.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:11 PM
FormerVendor

No man there was very few that had a problem in the first place and when they replaced them with better bolts.

Marcin give me a call I would be glad to help you out.

Nate