Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

normal rpm range @ idle? (botched Spark plug installation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default normal rpm range @ idle? (botched Spark plug installation)

Hey guys, I am wondering what your rpm range is when your ls1 is at idle?
When my car is started up and warmed up, at Park, my idle rpm range is around 500-550. When I change to drive, it drops to between 490 - 500 rpm. What could cause the rpms to be so low?

I have recently changed the factory spark plugs and replaced them with NGK TR55's with a couple of my buddies on my motor on cylinders 1,3,5,7 on the driver side, and only cylinder 2 and 4 on the passenger side ( couldn't quite reach to change cylinder 6 and 8). I started driving around, and I found that one of the cylinder was misfiring. I took it to autozone to have the ses light scanned, and it turned out to be cylinder 4. My buddy was the one that installed the spark plug on cylinder 4. He was having some trouble installing the new spark plug into cylinder 4 on the passenger side, and accidently dropped the spark plug somewhere on the ground. I think that screwed the spark plug up and made it improperly gapped or something. The top metal park of the plug end where you insert into the head was pinched a little and touching the electrode tip.

I went ahead and replaced the improperly gapped plug with a brand new properly gapped NGK TR55 at 0.050. It seems to start up normal, but the ses light is there, so I went ahead and replace the fuses to reset the light. After I started it up with no more ses light, i waited for 2 minutes, and I started to back out of my driveway, but my rpm tachometer was fluctuating quite a bit, from 500-1000 rpm. Not very fast, but kind of slow. Then suddenly, it stalled and died on me, and the red check gauges light came on. I freaked out, and turned it off, waited a minute, then started it back up, and drove my car back into the garage, and left it running for 5 mins. I checked the engine compartment for any arching sparks or blue electricity sparks, but could not find any. After 5 mins, the car seemed to be running smoothly with no problems, but the rpms seemed to be a bit low for idle, but I got no more error lights, and drove around the neighborhood slowly for 5-10 minutes.

Any tips/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: normal rpm range @ idle? (botched Spark plug installation)