Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any oil pressure issues w/ Morel solid lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any oil pressure issues w/ Morel solid lifters?

I tried the new comp drop ins, and they were drilled all the way through. Way too much oil getting up to the pushrods. I know it's a simple epoxy job to fix, but I was just curious on the Morel pieces. Is a restricted pushrod needed for these as well, or are they truly a drop in and go piece?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LOnSLO
I tried the new comp drop ins, and they were drilled all the way through. Way too much oil getting up to the pushrods. I know it's a simple epoxy job to fix, but I was just curious on the Morel pieces. Is a restricted pushrod needed for these as well, or are they truly a drop in and go piece?

They are drop in and have a disc restrictor. They reduce the amount of oil to the top end alot over the Comps when not using lifter bushings with a restrictor hole. I have informed the engineers about this problem,so we will see if they address it.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for replying Allan. I thought it was a little strange to see the oil passage drilled out to the oil galley, but maybe they'll fix that. It was a good lifter though. What is the price range on those Morels? I'm thinking I'll check them out at PRI if anyone has a set up there, and will probably buy a set later in the month.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Morel solids. My oil pressure is ~40 psi *hot*. I had the Crane solids before, and ran in to issues when I switched cams (smaller base circle cam + Crane lifter = <20 psi cold oil pressure). I'm running normal 7.40" pushrods (3/8" diameter, of course). Had to shim the rockers just an ooch to get the lash right (just out of adjuster range). Morel pushrod cup apparently sits just slightly higher than the Crane cup did.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Even with the "leaky" Comps, I still had around 45 psi hot. That was with a restricted pushrod that really didn't slow the oil that much.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Banned

Thanks for replying Allan. I thought it was a little strange to see the oil passage drilled out to the oil galley, but maybe they'll fix that. It was a good lifter though. What is the price range on those Morels? I'm thinking I'll check them out at PRI if anyone has a set up there, and will probably buy a set later in the month.
I think they are like $389 or something. We keep them in stock if you need to get a set. We had a customer pick up 25lbs oil pressure over the Comps w\regular pushrods.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Futral Motorsports
I think they are like $389 or something. We keep them in stock if you need to get a set. We had a customer pick up 25lbs oil pressure over the Comps w\regular pushrods.
Good price. I'll be calling you within a month. These don't use the stock plastic tray do they? Sure hope not.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Banned

Good price. I'll be calling you within a month. These don't use the stock plastic tray do they? Sure hope not.
Yea,but there is no problem in using them..unless you don't have them anymore. They are like $4.00 each
Old 12-01-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Futral Motorsports
Yea,but there is no problem in using them..unless you don't have them anymore. They are like $4.00 each
What do you think the max lobe lift is before you bottom out in the tray? Would a .470 lobe lift still work with them?
Old 12-01-2004, 03:18 PM

The question is...where can you get a head that will flow at .799" lift?!?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Unaffiliated Racing
The question is...where can you get a head that will flow at .799" lift?!?
Answer...have a set right here.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Just a side note, a "cam company" cycle tested the solid roller Morels at 8400 rpm for 5M cycles. Lifters were good as new. They will also have a new design at PRI in there pocket that, in there words, will revolutionize the lifter market. Should be a good PRI show.

Chris
Old 12-02-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Just a side note, a "cam company" cycle tested the solid roller Morels at 8400 rpm for 5M cycles. Lifters were good as new. They will also have a new design at PRI in there pocket that, in there words, will revolutionize the lifter market. Should be a good PRI show.

Chris
Chris, you think they'll have their LS1 stuff at the show? And is that new lifter design the "bearingless" design?
Old 12-02-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The bearingless stuff they patented years ago when working with the Buick Indy stuff. They are walking the show and will stop by. I don't know if they will leave me a sample of the new stuff or if it is in the patent process and they are just showing it to a few people. Don't get me wrong, I am not special, Ed Morel is a friend so I get updated, but in his words the industry will be PI$$ed when they see the new design.

Chris
Old 12-02-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cstraub
The bearingless stuff they patented years ago when working with the Buick Indy stuff. They are walking the show and will stop by. I don't know if they will leave me a sample of the new stuff or if it is in the patent process and they are just showing it to a few people. Don't get me wrong, I am not special, Ed Morel is a friend so I get updated, but in his words the industry will be PI$$ed when they see the new design.

Chris
Sounds interesting. Fat chance of me seeing something like that, but I'll keep my eyes peeled up there.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

What do you think the max lobe lift is before you bottom out in the tray? Would a .470 lobe lift still work with them?
You can't bottom out in the tray since the lifters can't go higher than stock on most any cam. They just start out lower with the new lower base circle.

Quick Reply: Any oil pressure issues w/ Morel solid lifters?