Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best custom grind for my situation???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSTANGEATER
All of those would be right out of the catalog. I think you need to understand what custom means.

The problem is any moron can pay money and become an "expert" on here. There are probably only a handful of people on this board that are truely experts, not "experts".
i probably know more than you do about custom cam selection. while working for one of the largest performance shops in the nation, SUPER SHOPS, i was trained by ERSON CAMS and MALLORY IGNITION. and now i work WITH (not for) VHP. they are one of the main R&D co-devolopers for CRANE. you might want to ask, rather than state, if i understand something next time.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrr23
i probably know more than you do about custom cam selection. while working for one of the largest performance shops in the nation, SUPER SHOPS, i was trained by ERSON CAMS and MALLORY IGNITION. and now i work WITH (not for) VHP. they are one of the main R&D co-devolopers for CRANE. you might want to ask, rather than state, if i understand something next time.
Oh Noes, we have an E - expert here folks...
Old 12-12-2004, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

and we have someone that 'thinks' he knows everything. better start your own business before you find out you don't.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:40 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSTANGEATER
Oh Noes, we have an E - expert here folks...
hee cant even explain the VHP cam philosophy w/o posting info thats not on the VHP site.

im no cam expert by no means but i trust ed's ability and the design and thought shows in his custom cam he spec'd for me. there cut on lobes one here would never guess.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

i don't answer the technical parts of their cam philosophy. you want to know what they do, then call them. i don't give out highly technical and protected information like that for free either. never said i didn't trust what Ed can do. but not everyone is looking for a custom, can only work for your application and if you change something it'll never work efficiently cam either. remember, if you get a 'custom' ground cam for you particular application, you'll need another one if you change something.

oh and i have a question for you jrp. why are you putting Ed's cam in a cam pro if you paid him for the specs? thought he gave all that info when you paid him?

Last edited by mrr23; 12-12-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:05 AM
Eye
Teching In

i don't answer the technical parts of their cam philosophy. you want to know what they do, then call them. i don't give out highly technical and protected information like that for free either. never said i didn't trust what Ed can do. but not everyone is looking for a custom, can only work for your application and if you change something it'll never work efficiently cam either. remember, if you get a 'custom' ground cam for you particular application, you'll need another one if you change something.

oh and i have a question for you jrp. why are you putting Ed's cam in a cam pro if you paid him for the specs? thought he gave all that info when you paid him?
When you consistently link to vhp it comes off as a hussle mrr23.

Talking about edc as a deadbeat sponsor is a strawman arguement.
The fact is i remember ed from the corral. Hes made alot of people happy in the mustang world over the years. He is respected.
I think those vhp cams must be selling poorly.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:12 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i put the cam on a cam pro because i could, steve from Race Engine Development lives about 40 minute away and he has a cam pro and sf1020 so i took advantage of that in setting up my combo. what i paid ed for was a cam to fit my need and application, i didnt really care what the specs were. after seeing the cams full specs i can see the design he put into it concerning my application. ed did give me the specs at .006, .050, and VE's @ .050, lsa and icl. also an insight to the design he put in, the cam pro print out just confirmed that. ed also addressed the issue of upgrading when changes are made to the setup. he covers all bases
Old 12-13-2004, 07:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Eye
When you consistently link to vhp it comes off as a hussle mrr23.

Talking about edc as a deadbeat sponsor is a strawman arguement.
The fact is i remember ed from the corral. Hes made alot of people happy in the mustang world over the years. He is respected.
I think those vhp cams must be selling poorly.
not at all. they are selling fine. they became a sponsor and asked me to help them monitor the board as i have more experience in this area than they did at the time. strawman arguement huh. as a paying sponsor seeing someone being allowed to use this board to sell his products without paying to advertise would **** me off. luckily, i don't pay the bill. i do know that just being on any board as a business person, you'll get business. but to use the systems PM service and having someone post about your product is slapping the paying advertisers right in the face. and the admins of this board know that, but let it continue. but they are following the rules, no direct linking to non-supporting advertisers.

another thing that pisses me off is when someone asks about a cam reccommendation, and i suggest one of vinci's cam, i get flak from him and a couple of his cohorts about doing just that. and about the only way to go is custom. not it's not the only way to go. there are plenty of people that get the results they want from the labeled term 'off the shelf' cams. there is plenty of R&D done on these 'off the shelf' cams that makes them work.

never said Ed wasn't a respected business person in the performance world. i respect his knowledge. and would love to sit down with him and learn some things from him. i just don't for his stance on custom is the only way to go. any any other way is wrong. but, it's his opinion. just like it's my opinion that you don't need a custom cam to acheive your desired results. and that i concentrate on the torque side of the motor's output. just like VHP, Crane, Lingenfelter, etc does. not everyone wants max effort, top horsepower, out of their vehicle.

Last edited by mrr23; 12-13-2004 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
i put the cam on a cam pro because i could, steve from Race Engine Development lives about 40 minute away and he has a cam pro and sf1020 so i took advantage of that in setting up my combo. what i paid ed for was a cam to fit my need and application, i didnt really care what the specs were. after seeing the cams full specs i can see the design he put into it concerning my application. ed did give me the specs at .006, .050, and VE's @ .050, lsa and icl. also an insight to the design he put in, the cam pro print out just confirmed that. ed also addressed the issue of upgrading when changes are made to the setup. he covers all bases
well that's a good thing you could get it cam pro'ed then. nice to have that nearby. so now that cam isn't just for your current setup? it takes into account for changing things around?

now this is the part i like. he gave you specs adv, .050, lsa, VE @ .050. the same as all other cam companies. but in our last 'debate' you guys kept harping on how those numbers don't tell you the whole story of a cam. and that you need to look at other areas such as .200. and i asked if he gave those specs on the spec card when you get one. guess not. so again, i'll ask, if you want us to stop comparing cams based on advertised and .050, they do you put it on the cam card when you have one done?

unfortunately, we can only compare cams at advertised and .050 because that's the information given to us. until the market changes that, quit harping on the people about looking at those specs for comparison. and also, start being a leader and print it on the cards if you don't already. cam companies protect their ideas and products by not posting/printing everything about their product. not that any company can't just buy one and cam doctor/cam pro it to find out. they all do it. hell, they all buy from each other. another reason why you won't see companies debate each other directly. comradery. respect for each others ideas. ethics.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

now, in following the posting guidelines, i am bowing out. because i've probably made more than two posts about this subject. so, they consider it beating a dead horse and have made my point. and it's made this thread way off topic.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing like wanting to have an edge over people... I thought this board was to help people out....

I had a very similar set up to you. I made 412HP & 396 Tq with Jay's AS 241 STG 2 heads and a TR 224 114 lsa cam

I wanted a few more HP so I got a custom TR 230 cam made and really didn't gain that much and I had more exhaust smell do to positive overlap.

Don't get caught up in the peak HP numbers unless your car is more of a drag car than a street car.

If you want to discuss this more, PM me....