Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gmpp ported ls6 heads and hot cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenny b
thanks for the info. do you know how the idle would be with that set up? i would like a little bit of a lump enough where a gear head would know somethings up under the hood. but not so much that its obnoxious. the cam that is. any info. really appreciated.
I was thinking I need a little more lump in my idle since I got my tune right. I was toying with the idea of putting my idle back to 800 (from 900). That should do the trick I think.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:52 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GMPP heads are an excellet deal for anybody wanting to upgrade their top end without spending a ton of money. These heads will flow over 300 cfm @ .600" and sell for under $2000.00 for the pair outright! This is for new LS6 castings with lightweight LS6 valves.

Members wanting to stay away from a big nasty cam should look at our GT2-3
it's specs are 207/220 .573/.580 118.5 so it gives you good power through the RPM range without giving up any driveability. You could run this cam without any tuning and be very happy with it.

Ed
Old 12-16-2004, 09:38 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kenny b
so you're pretty much saying it's gonna be lumpy. like i said i like a little maybe even more than a little but not a whole lot i guess if you know what i'm saying. how much peak power is sacrificed? and also i don't drive the car a whole lot just about 5000 miles a year but i still go on lengthy trips maybe about a three hour ride one way at most. would that still be posibble to do with that set up? i really don't want to sacrifice reliability and drivability for hp and tq but want to get the MOST for the money and stay with the gm stuff if possible. sorry to bomb you with so many questions but you sound like you know whats up and just want to drain you for info. thanks
You'll sacrifice 15-25 peak hp in comparison to today's more contemporary cams. The compromise is an excellent tq/power curve.
My only experience regarding the ASA cam is that of my online inquiries with those who've run the cam (much like your inquiries Kenny). From what they've told me, it can be used as a daily driven cam. I would think however, that more contemporary aftermarket cams would be much tamer for daily drivers, yet achieve similar/much better power output.

As for reliability, most any heads/cam package from the reputable suppliers will not compromise reliablity. I've driven my setup clear across Florida, dropped the PSI in the rear tires, run several passes down the 1/4 with 5K clutch dump launches, put air in the tires and driven back home.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

i like my ASA cam
Old 12-17-2004, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

i would love to try this setup some day! right now i have the hotcam, i havent been able to drive my car yet or even hear it without a nasty exhaust leak! but i have heard a asa cam idle and man it sounds so freakin nasty. and i am all about the not havin to change valve springs every 10-25k miles lol
Old 12-20-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default asa cam

I drive my vette most dry days. I avergae about 26mpg hight way but about 15-17 around town, I love the way it sounds at 2k rpms so thats where I keep it, but it only surges when I cause around 1k to 1200 rpms. I had it idling at 850 for a while and it was extremely rough, but consistant. I raised it to 900 so I wouldnt make my *** numb. Other peoples dyno graphs will look better but you compare there track times and money invested, it comes up close.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ed Potter @ LPE
The GMPP heads are an excellet deal for anybody wanting to upgrade their top end without spending a ton of money. These heads will flow over 300 cfm @ .600" and sell for under $2000.00 for the pair outright! This is for new LS6 castings with lightweight LS6 valves.

Members wanting to stay away from a big nasty cam should look at our GT2-3
it's specs are 207/220 .573/.580 118.5 so it gives you good power through the RPM range without giving up any driveability. You could run this cam without any tuning and be very happy with it.

Ed
Ed, do you think these heads would flow well with some 2.08/1.60 valves on a 402ci motor? I think they would due to the huge int. runners.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not to rebirth an old topic but I've been considering the ASA cam myself and was wondering about running LS6 springs on it vs. something a bit larger with some 918's. I'll be tossing it into a 6.0(which also makes me wonder how well it will do) that will primarily be a track car but also a saturday night brawler/crusier as well. Full manual th350 (shifted @6500+-), 3500 converter, carbed(performer rpm and a 750dp) 3.90 geared 9". Just needing some thoughts since this will probably be my biggest stumbling block and possibly my biggest regret one way or the other. Thanks.....
oh, and I forgot another important thing, it will definately be seeing a 150 shot later on after the combo has some running time on it for suspension tuning etc. I'm trying to keep my hopes of some 7.0's (1/8 mile) times a reality while still being able to street drive it. If it will run mid 7's n/a and a 7.0 with a 150 hit I'd be extremely thrilled..... thanks again

Last edited by bygblok; 12-06-2006 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: gmpp ported ls6 heads and hot cam