Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gmpp ported ls6 heads and hot cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gmpp ported ls6 heads and hot cam

just wondering if anyone has tried this set up with all bolt ons on their fourth gen f body. if so how is the drivability and power? i really want to do it.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

My hotcam alone was worth it. Excellent power and drivability. My only complaint is bucking at low-low RPM (like when you are crawling on I-95). Around town and normal driving, it is perfect. I think LS6 heads are overpriced. Most flow comparisons I have seen show ported LS1 heads to flow almost as well as ported LS6 heads, and actually flow better at some lift points. I don't see any reason to spend the extra money (don't know the price difference on those) unless you are going all out and have spare cash to burn.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Another_User
My hotcam alone was worth it. Excellent power and drivability. My only complaint is bucking at low-low RPM (like when you are crawling on I-95). Around town and normal driving, it is perfect. I think LS6 heads are overpriced. Most flow comparisons I have seen show ported LS1 heads to flow almost as well as ported LS6 heads, and actually flow better at some lift points. I don't see any reason to spend the extra money (don't know the price difference on those) unless you are going all out and have spare cash to burn.
did you have to retune the computer?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:36 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do some more research....It's not a bad combo, but I think you'll find that there are better head/cam combos out there that will give you more power and better driveability for the same or less money.

You WILL need tuning.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:54 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GMPP LS6 CNC Heads are very nice. If you're going to go that route, pair it up with the GMPP ASA cam (preferrably on an M6). Look into tuning.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good advice. Ther are much better h/c packages out there..

Old 12-15-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

I took the GM Hot Cam out of my motor, idle and low end drivability just didn't cut it. It did make good horsepower but at the expense of drivability.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Banned

Talking

[QUOTE=Oscar Will]I took the GM Hot Cam out of my motor, idle and low end drivability just didn't cut it. It did make good horsepower but at the expense of drivability.[/QUOTE
Would you consider selling me the HOT Cam for a good price? It's Christmas you know.....
Old 12-15-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
I took the GM Hot Cam out of my motor, idle and low end drivability just didn't cut it. It did make good horsepower but at the expense of drivability.
If you tweak it you can make it bearable without tuning (TB set screw, etc). Driving the car after I tuned it compared to before, it's like night and day. I highly recommend tuning with the hot cam. I think the only one I would drive un-tuned would be an LS6 cam (just speculating though based on what I have heard). My car idles very smoothly. So smooth you can't tell it is cammed.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Another_User
If you tweak it you can make it bearable without tuning (TB set screw, etc). Driving the car after I tuned it compared to before, it's like night and day. I highly recommend tuning with the hot cam. I think the only one I would drive un-tuned would be an LS6 cam (just speculating though based on what I have heard). My car idles very smoothly. So smooth you can't tell it is cammed.
I have the GMPP heads and ASA cam. I love it! It took a while to for me to tune it, maybe becasue it was my first LS1 tune job but now its great. I still need to dyno it but it runs good times at the track. Best so far is 11.35 and best E.T is 123.xx.on a 1.69 60'ft. I having clutch issues so my launches really suck! But Carteck is going to fix that for me!

The rest of my mods are LS6 intake, vortex air intake, 3.90's kooks long tubes, GHL mufflers. Stock everything else. A LSX90mm intake and t/body would wake this up alot. But the best part is you'll never have to worry about valve train damage due to 600+ lift cams, and I usually shift this at about 64-6500rpms. And this cam sounds awesome!
Old 12-15-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

I'll keep the hot cam for my son's bracket racer project. I could've tweaked it but I'm old now and I used to tolerate lumpy cams years ago......not any more. If I was using a manual trans it would be ok but even with my 2000 stall it isn't that good.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cyclerage
I have the GMPP heads and ASA cam. I love it! It took a while to for me to tune it, maybe becasue it was my first LS1 tune job but now its great. I still need to dyno it but it runs good times at the track. Best so far is 11.35 and best E.T is 123.xx.on a 1.69 60'ft. I having clutch issues so my launches really suck! But Carteck is going to fix that for me!

The rest of my mods are LS6 intake, vortex air intake, 3.90's kooks long tubes, GHL mufflers. Stock everything else. A LSX90mm intake and t/body would wake this up alot. But the best part is you'll never have to worry about valve train damage due to 600+ lift cams, and I usually shift this at about 64-6500rpms. And this cam sounds awesome!
that sounds cool. i really want to do this,not myself just to much work that i am unfamiliar with, buti kind of want to stay with gm parts. what is this asa cam you speak of and possible specs? are your heads ls6 ported also? thanks
Old 12-15-2004, 06:20 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

My favorite cam (the ASA):

SDPC Part Number: 12480110
Manufacturer: GM Performance Parts
Advertised Duration Int. : Not Available
Advertised Duration Exh. : Not Available
Duration @ 0.050" (I/E) : 226/236
Lift (I/E) : 0.525"/0.525"
Lobe Separation : 110
RPM Range : 2500 - 6500
Cam Type : Hydraulic Roller

I should have gotten this cam with GMPP LS6 CNC heads. No need for future valve spring swaps. Plenty of torque.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Outstanding trap speed. Not to mention the ET
Old 12-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Nice trap speed. What was the raceweight and DA?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:06 PM
9 Second Club

South FloridaSS-you would take that cam over the TSP 231/237 that's in your car now? You really think the ASA cam is that much better? I just don't see how, care to explain? Only benefits i see is gobs of bottom end torque, and very light valverain wear.....

Will you explain why it's your favorite?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
My favorite cam (the ASA):

SDPC Part Number: 12480110
Manufacturer: GM Performance Parts
Advertised Duration Int. : Not Available
Advertised Duration Exh. : Not Available
Duration @ 0.050" (I/E) : 226/236
Lift (I/E) : 0.525"/0.525"
Lobe Separation : 110
RPM Range : 2500 - 6500
Cam Type : Hydraulic Roller

I should have gotten this cam with GMPP LS6 CNC heads. No need for future valve spring swaps. Plenty of torque.
thanks for the info. do you know how the idle would be with that set up? i would like a little bit of a lump enough where a gear head would know somethings up under the hood. but not so much that its obnoxious. the cam that is. any info. really appreciated.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:27 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

The ASA is the meanest sounding cam I've heard. Its idle is very wicked.

Don't get me wrong. The TEA 1.5's and TSP 231/237 combo that I have performs very well- especially at high rpms.

But, I still am required to swap out valve springs in 20K mile intervals, and I could use some more tq down low. There are plenty of cams out there that will kick the crap out of the ASA in terms of peak numbers, but I maintain that the GMPP CNC LS6 head/ ASA cam combo is a very maintenance-free combo that is often overlooked. With .525 lift making such decent power and tq, it's a very appealing setup.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
The ASA is the meanest sounding cam I've heard. Its idle is very wicked.

Don't get me wrong. The TEA 1.5's and TSP 231/237 combo that I have performs very well- especially at high rpms.

But, I still am required to swap out valve springs in 20K mile intervals, and I could use some more tq down low. There are plenty of cams out there that will kick the crap out of the ASA in terms of peak numbers, but I maintain that the GMPP CNC LS6 head/ ASA cam combo is a very maintenance-free combo that is often overlooked. With .525 lift making such decent power and tq, it's a very appealing setup.
so you're pretty much saying it's gonna be lumpy. like i said i like a little maybe even more than a little but not a whole lot i guess if you know what i'm saying. how much peak power is sacrificed? and also i don't drive the car a whole lot just about 5000 miles a year but i still go on lengthy trips maybe about a three hour ride one way at most. would that still be posibble to do with that set up? i really don't want to sacrifice reliability and drivability for hp and tq but want to get the MOST for the money and stay with the gm stuff if possible. sorry to bomb you with so many questions but you sound like you know whats up and just want to drain you for info. thanks
Old 12-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Teching In

man those are some good times!!!!! how is the drivability around town and is the cam real lumpy? also is it still a reliable driver but not an everyday driver? thanks

Quick Reply: gmpp ported ls6 heads and hot cam