Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Lifters For Trex Cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need some lifters anyone know someone with some that they may have forgot about. I have check all of the for sale sections and there is no one really selling any. The one guy that has some for an LS1 does not know a whole lot about the history of them so I am not going to get those I do not think....
Old 12-19-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bent OEM pushrods are a problem in the LS1 engine when over revved. This is probably causing your ticking.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

How long do you think it would take to check all of the pushrods
Old 12-19-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
How long do you think it would take to check all of the pushrods
a hour max if your mechanically inclined. ****** plug wires off in about 30 sec then pull the valve covers in another 2min pull all the rockers off and pull them out, roll them on a formica counter top or something very flat and smooth, then put them back in put rocker back on and torque to 22lbft. put vavle covers and coilpacks back on and plug the wires back in your done.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I have been told that there something special that you have to do to put the rockers back on is this true or not.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
Ok, I have been told that there something special that you have to do to put the rockers back on is this true or not.
yea, put the nut back on
make sure the pushrod is in the indentation on the rocker and torque it properly, if you want to feel better rotate the engine around with a socktet on the crank and recheck the rockers. its really extremely easy, just sounds complicated.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

so there is no valve lash to set huh.......I am being told that I do have to set it. But this is from a LT1 guy.....I do not want to insult you I just do not want to mess up the motor. Also aprox what is the preload on the lifters at 22ftlbs
Old 12-19-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Allways set preload (torque rockers) at base circle of cam.

While rotating motor clockwise with long pull handle attached to the harmonic damper bolt. Adjust both intake and exhaust valve directly after each intake valve closes on compression stroke at TDC. After adjusting the number 1 cylinder move on to the next one using the firing order sequence. I forget what the firing order is for the LS1.

There are other easier ways of doing this, but I do not have the time to tell you.

Last edited by gollum; 12-19-2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gollum
Allways set preload (torque rockers) at base circle of cam.

While rotating motor clockwise with long pull handle attached to the harmonic damper bolt. Adjust both intake and exhaust valve directly after each intake valve closes on compression stroke at TDC. After adjusting the number 1 cylinder move on to the next one using the firing order sequence. I forget what the firing order is for the LS1.

There are other easier ways of doing this, but I do not have the time to tell you.
you do realize that the ls1 isnt like the old chevys and vortec motors, you dont have to be at TDC to do this you put them all back on and just torque each one to 22ftlbs. the lifters take care of the rest. theres none of that torque to snug and go another 3/4 turn stuff like the old small blocks.
the process you describing isnt used on ls1's, the old process of tdc on compression is like intake 1,4,6,7 and exhaust 1,5,6,8 or something like that but thats not how to do the ls1's
Old 12-19-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The Morels are your best investment. Fully machined from steel bar stock and fully rebuildable. Will take up to .675" lift.

Chris
Old 12-19-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Smile

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
you do realize that the ls1 isnt like the old chevys and vortec motors, you dont have to be at TDC to do this you put them all back on and just torque each one to 22ftlbs. the lifters take care of the rest. theres none of that torque to snug and go another 3/4 turn stuff like the old small blocks.
the process you describing isnt used on ls1's, the old process of tdc on compression is like intake 1,4,6,7 and exhaust 1,5,6,8 or something like that but thats not how to do the ls1's
My older 455 Pontiac was also like that, simply torgue down rockers, but the valvetrain was real noisey at start with that method.Today most all rocker arm companies recommend adjusting 1 maybe 2 valves at a time as the correct way with the LS1. Crane being one of them. Crane's rocker arm adjustment proceedure is very time consuming but results in a very quiet valvetrain upon new engine startup. The same also applies for non adjustable OEM rockers also, in my book..

Last edited by gollum; 12-19-2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an FYI since your new to this. You must pull the heads on an LS1 to change lifter's. Just thought I would throw that out there in case you didn't know

Dan
Old 12-20-2004, 02:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gollum
The same also applies for non adjustable OEM rockers also, in my book..
since there not adjustable than it really doesnt matter where on the cam lobe you torque them to 22ftlbs. just fyi. it just flat dont matter whatsoever
Old 12-20-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

everything is good to go thanks again guys for all of your help......I may be asking a few more questions here in about a month on some things that I need to do to do my cam swap. I want to do that myself aswell. I am enjoing learning all of this new stuff and how to work on my car. So far I have put a ford 9" in my, car swaped from an auto to a m6, changed pushrods installed and removed a supercharger, pulled an engine from an LT1 put an engine back in an Lt1, Installed a 255 lph fuel pump (cheated though used the trap door methos) Now I am ready to install the cam and maybe later mess with the bottom end but who knows

Quick Reply: Which Lifters For Trex Cam