Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EMERGENCY!! ROCKERS! Help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by santino04
A simple post like that got me thinking! I get the rockers back and go to install them also with the warning from Harland to check my heads spec to make sure I dont have a bad GM pair. It so happens that the roller tip was grinding into the rocker body bad and I didnt notice that due the frustration of the retainers. So I do that visually, with a straight edge, a couple of small measurements and seems everything is lined up good. I start thinking about bad heads and pull the stock rockers out and they look mint.

Hmmm, so I say F it, go with the harlands all setup and button everything up, start the engine up and I hear some ticking tapping whatever you wanna call it just like normal but for some reason myself being all paranoid this week it seems to loud to me. I know its supposed to sound like sewing machine but after all the problems Ive been through I wanted to double check. I pull the covers and Im like sh*t these thing dont look right and I see some metal filings and dust. Im like look at those roller tips and they are doing the same thing chewing into each other and the pin for the roller tip on the outside of the body had a nice shiny wear spot who knows.

After all this crap I go back to the stockers and what do you know! These things ran so quiet I dont know why I swapped them out, it seemed like my engine was running a hell of alot better also, smoother if you will. I think it was the rockers all this time. All in all I hate to say but I dont think I will go with another Harland Sharp rocker after this. Every engine differs and so do mods, I guess what works, works, and what doesnt, blows up! I did have my brother a mechanical engineer for Jernberg (design and make automotive parts, mainly the big 3) take a look at them and he thinks there are some flaws in the design (technical jargon).

Thanks for all the help guys and thanks for that last post! There should be sticky made that says.... If all else fails with aftermarket parts, go back to stock and double check! BUT TRUE! Thanks Again!
Is this what you had in mind?
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...5ad20000001610
Old 12-26-2004, 08:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by santino04
Harland SHarp has some bad *** customer service I will tell you that! Called them this morning and talked to Randy.......I guess they are finding that some trunions or retainers rings (tryin to remember) werent made the right size or something and its causing the retainers to be to tight then heat up because of the increase in friction and crack. Right away he said try to find as many pieces as possible and not to worry to much about the ones that got down in oil pan, most likely they will be picked up by the magnet, oil pump screen, or filter, they will eventually work them selfs out. He said the retainers are actually safety precaution in case the trunion or the shaft breaks if I remember correctly. He said if I wanted and needed the car on the rode you can run them without the retainers as it will cause no bad. He then told me if I didnt need the car running take the rockers out pack them up with all bolts and everything send them in with what mods my car has (for R&D I would think) and he will inspect the bodies, change out the trunion, retainer and all, and supply all new mounting hardware also and ship next day air before Christmas Eve. I was like SWEEET, thats what Ill do then I can be sure that these rockers have the right parts. I definitely dont wanna take a chance and with my luck I get another brand new set that has the same problem so Im reusing the rocker bodies I have.
Also contacted Nate from Nasty Performance. I wasnt here when he called but from what my father says he said basically the same thing Randy did. Thanks to both, great customer service from both guys!!!!!

There was very few of these that this is happening to and there is absolutly no telling which ones it was that got the bad clips. But the clips are only for a just in case they hold nothing in place. I have not seen something like this damage a motor ever. I wish I could put everyone at ease but everyone will have there doubts. I can tell you I have sold and install well over 150 sets and have seen 3 of these problems not too bad in my book. I have sold 20 sets of Yella Terras and have had just as many problems if not more. There is just alot more of these rockers running around with a very good track record. I have had 3 sets in shop cars for the past 2 1/2 years without a problem and these cars get run hard. Yes there are a select few problems as with any product for racing but absolutly NO ONE stands behind a race part like HARLAND SHARP they have been the very best company I deal with hands down. I hope this helps put some of you at ease with your choice keep racing and run it like you stole it.

Nate
Old 12-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gojo
That is a very good example of what is going on. The roller tip just chews right through the side of the rocker body. The right side of your picture didnt happen to mine, it looks like the body was riding on the retainer. But yes the tip into the body exactly!
Old 01-02-2005, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great. Just got theses from Nate and about to install them tomorrow. Still unopened. Now I think I may just stay with the stockers. This sucks. So, is HS gonna warrenty the rockers that have chewed through the sidewalls?
Old 01-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSS
seems like there is a lot more problems with HS than say, Yella-Terra rockers...
I just found a broken snap ring on one of my Yella-Terra rockers. One of the little ears with the hole in it broke off.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLASTER
Great. Just got theses from Nate and about to install them tomorrow. Still unopened. Now I think I may just stay with the stockers. This sucks. So, is HS gonna warrenty the rockers that have chewed through the sidewalls?
same here....I have a set still sitting in the packaging, not sure what to do now...
Old 01-02-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are the C clips that may come out and can I remover them prior to them being lost in my motor? I also assume that there is still possibility that the roller will chew through the sidewall? Don't even know if this is worth it.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1BadMoFo
same here....I have a set still sitting in the packaging, not sure what to do now...
Sounds like many of us that bought HS rockers during Nate's last GP are wondering WTF? To install or not to install, or as Dirty Harry said "well punk, do ya feel lucky?"......(or do ya feel screwed?)
Old 01-07-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

I just saw this thread today and thought I'd reply. I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but my harland sharp rockers did the same thing. About 6 retainer clips broke off and were floating around somewhere in my engine. I fished out a few and hopefully the other parts I didn't find got stuck in the oil filter. I put the stockers back on and will contact HS first thing Monday morning. I thought I was the only one who had this problem. Guess I'm not alone...
Old 01-07-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I installed my HS a year ago in Dec. of 03. No problems thus far, my 02 is not my DD but these rockers have had about 3K miles, 30 1/4 mile passes and dyno tuning with no problems. I am awaiting more feedback from other members on here.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

man, I don't think I want to put these on the car now, even if there isn't any real harm.

Nate, will HS let us return them? or is there a batch number or something to see if we have the defected rockers?

ok, just re-read your post above...nevermind.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Default No Reply From Jeff at Harlan Sharp

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
There was very few of these that this is happening to and there is absolutly no telling which ones it was that got the bad clips. But the clips are only for a just in case they hold nothing in place. I have not seen something like this damage a motor ever. I wish I could put everyone at ease but everyone will have there doubts. I can tell you I have sold and install well over 150 sets and have seen 3 of these problems not too bad in my book. I have sold 20 sets of Yella Terras and have had just as many problems if not more. There is just alot more of these rockers running around with a very good track record. I have had 3 sets in shop cars for the past 2 1/2 years without a problem and these cars get run hard. Yes there are a select few problems as with any product for racing but absolutly NO ONE stands behind a race part like HARLAND SHARP they have been the very best company I deal with hands down. I hope this helps put some of you at ease with your choice keep racing and run it like you stole it.

Nate
No Reply From Jeff at Harlan Sharp
Nate
I have sent Jeff 2 e-mail's a week apart questioning what he is about to do with his warranty .
Can he get this resolved
I thank you for the return e -mail
John
Old 01-09-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blktie8
Nate
I have sent Jeff 2 e-mail's a week apart questioning what he is about to do with his warranty .
Can he get this resolved
I thank you for the return e -mail
John
I also emailed Jeff@HS as well as Nate@Nasty about some concerns I had and did not receive any return email. Kind of pisses me off.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

i just put a new jasper short block with mti stage 2e heads & a conp g1 gam with 7.400
comp pushrods-i used the stock rockers & the ds bank has had tapping knock from the
beginning-i just ordered new rockers in hopes that the old one were damaged-you see the old engine had 2 missed shift incidents- one resulting in some bent valves & one with
a severely bent pushrod.the same cylinder/rockers that had the bent pushrod is the same
one thats knocking(#5)i removed all pushrods from that bank & could find nothing visually wrong-however some seemed a bit more loose than others at the needle bearings,but all bearings were intact-my theory is that one is too loose or bent-anyone ever heard of a situation like this?
Old 01-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

i just put a new jasper short block with mti stage 2e heads & a conp g1 gam with 7.400
comp pushrods-i used the stock rockers & the ds bank has had tapping knock from the
beginning-i just ordered new rockers in hopes that the old one were damaged-you see the old engine had 2 missed shift incidents- one resulting in some bent valves & one with
a severely bent pushrod.the same cylinder/rockers that had the bent pushrod is the same
one thats knocking(#5)i removed all pushrods from that bank & could find nothing visually wrong-however some seemed a bit more loose than others at the needle bearings,but all bearings were intact-my theory is that one is too loose or bent-anyone ever heard of a situation like this?
Old 01-16-2005, 11:01 AM
9 Second Club

I had this same wearing of the rocker happen to mine, sent it in 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything from Jeff @ HS. Inspected my rockers today after reading this and have 2 completely missing clips and 7 with broken pcs. of clips. Here is a pic. of the wear, notice the rocker on the left and the roller digging into the body. I'll be calling HS monday about the clips.

Eric
Old 01-16-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have these rockers also and was going to install them this weekend. They just happend to not fit in my 98' heads so I didn't put them on. Too bad I already soaked them in oil or I might return them. Have any of you noitced any power gain from the rockers before all the problems?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pray
I have these rockers also and was going to install them this weekend. They just happend to not fit in my 98' heads so I didn't put them on. Too bad I already soaked them in oil or I might return them. Have any of you noitced any power gain from the rockers before all the problems?
I ran mine to 6900 and it pulled hard all the way.
Revs quick
Can't say if it helps or not
Great performance,no problems
John
Old 01-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Launching!

This is crazy man, my one problem sparks into this huge thing Im glad I did post it, I almost didnt. I see that a couple other guys are having the exact same problems. The one previous picture is a perfect example of what is happening. I cant believe Harland hasnt given any replys back concerning this matter. Who knows if its even worth a phone call, Im sure they wont refund my money or anyone elses if they have been running them for awhile. I definitely dont want another set, especially after what my brother thought of the design. Hope everyone with Harland Sharps are popping their valves covers off to get a look. Better safe than sorry guys even if you dont hear anything or dont have any performance loss. Good Luck guys and my sticky qoute of the year "If all else fails, go back to stock"
Old 01-17-2005, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow, I seriously might return mine, still unopened

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY!! ROCKERS! Help ASAP!