Sponsored by:

I need a head bolt tap

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 11:48 PM
laz
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a head bolt tap

Ok anyone know where i can get a tap to clean the threads on a ls1 block the headbolts where a ****** to remove and i wanna tap and clean the threads for the new arp head bolts Thanks in advance Laz
Old 12-27-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take one of the bolts down to the hardware store and find a nut that fits it. Look at wht size and pitch the nut is and go by that tap.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 145 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Head bolt threads

You will not find a tap. The threads are an odd ball size and pitch - 11mm x 2.0. You do not want to run a tap through the head bolt holes anyway because you will drastically weaken the threads. The threads are roll formed not tapped.

The only place I know that has a thread forming tool is Time Sert. Problem is he will not sell you one unless you purchase a complete kit. A couple of guys broke his tool off in their blocks (not easy to do) and sued Time Sert.

I can help you if you are in S. Ca. I reform the threads in every used block I install the Darton MID sleeves in.

Steve Demirjian

Originally Posted by laz
Ok anyone know where i can get a tap to clean the threads on a ls1 block the headbolts where a ****** to remove and i wanna tap and clean the threads for the new arp head bolts Thanks in advance Laz
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 12-27-2004, 04:09 AM
TECH Junkie

They are hard to clean. I tried the bolt side grind method and it worked to a degree, but still left the threads clogged. In the end I just took the arp bolts and ran them in and out quite a few times then blew the holes out. By the way, just blowing the hole will not get the crap out of the bottom, attach a straw to the air hose and push it to the bottom of the hole and hit it, all types of crap will come out. Those holes need to be inspected with a flashlight to make sure there is nothing hanging at the bottom or the bolt will bottom out and give a false torque reading.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:58 PM
laz
Teching In

Ok guys i was lucky enough to find a bottom tap i used a 1/4 drive snap on extension with a piece of thin cardboard to make it stay together it fit and i was able to clean the threads with out any problem no material removed and the bolts went in by hand this time i blew the junk out and then vacumed each hole bolted my heads and torqued them down so far so good thanks to Steve and Dale for your help i should be back on the road soon .