Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump to pick bolt

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 03:13 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pump to pick bolt

i got it out np but i can tell its gona be a pain in the *** to get back in is there any trick or anything
Old 01-01-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

No tricks, just patience. Be sure to put some type of rag in the opening of the oil pan just in case you drop the bolt it won't go barreling down the pan. If you have one of those gear wrenches, it'll make the job a little easier. Have a pen magnet handy so you can get the bolt in case it does fall. Do you have the oil pan dropped a little? If not, then just untighten the bolts (10mm, I think) and the two 15mm bolts holding it to the bellhousing. This should give you an extra inch or so of clearance to work with. Start it by hand, then use the gear wrench to tighten it up.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:35 PM
8 Second Club

what happens if u drop it in the pan will it come out the drain plug with a magnit??
Old 01-01-2005, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1984camaroz28
but i can tell its gona be a pain in the *** to get back in
Welcome to the mother of all evil. Like mentioned about you should drop the oil pan for better access and put a rag in the pan to catch the bolt if it drops down. Another tip is to use a piece of wire (I use a claw pickup tool) attached to the bolt to hold it in place until you get it threaded. Take your time and be patient; the connection between the pickup tube, o-ring and pump is critical for correct oil psi.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:18 PM
8 Second Club

ig ot it off np but drope the bolt and it went into the oil pan......how to get it out
Old 01-01-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Use a magnet to get it out. Can you see it? Is the pan empty or full of oil?
Old 01-01-2005, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

I have used a piece of mechanics wire to fish it up into a location where you can grab it with a magnet.It's like fishing in the dark.Good luck.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used needle nosed pliers and a gearwrench to put mine in, got it on the first try. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:33 PM
8 Second Club

no i cant see where it went......car still has oil in the pan.....im shure u can use a magnit and pull it to the drain plughole or sumtin
Old 01-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Drain the oil and stick the magnet in from the front, if you're lucky you'll get it. I used bailing wire and wrapped it tight enough so I could hold it using the wire, then used needle nose pliars to get it started.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found a neat way of putting this bolt back on by searching this forum. I used some lockwire around the bolt right under the head and held it in place with a pair of lockwire pliers. Worked like a charm. Someone on this board posted a picture of this.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

piece of wire around head of bolt is the way to go...

Tommy
Old 01-02-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just did mine today and it took forever to get it in. I took every precaustion. .Once you get it out I suggest what I did.

I stuffed one old Tshirts on the left side and another on the around the back of the pickup tube. Then I used aluminum foil to make a tray right under the bolt hole so it would be easy to grab if dropped. The Tshirts ran behind it and served as a good backing/buffer so I could mold the the foil into a cup. Otherwise I couldn't get it to form correctly. Then I wrapped solder around the bolt, put in the gearwench and then wrapped the solder around the gear wench. I actually had to take the wench out of the equation later on cause I couldn't get the bolt into the pickup hole (installed a double roller and clearence was tighter than stock) and then put the gear wench on it. Still didn't work because the wench wouldn't racket since there wasn't enough resistance from the threads yet so I used e two fingers. While doing this I had to get creative with the prybars to get the pickup tube flange up to the pump. It seemed to work after time and alot of cursing. I have pics I will be posting later. Good Luck