Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 build...advice and where to get the pieces?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005 | 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Builder
Darton quotes about $2600 for the process -- you supply the block. For the same process in a new block is about $100 more.
i was under the impression that new blocks have problems with the sleves shifting after they are resleved, which is why mti will only use seasoned blocks now. correct me if i am wrong
Old 01-28-2005 | 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kickassT/A
i was under the impression that new blocks have problems with the sleves shifting after they are resleved, which is why mti will only use seasoned blocks now. correct me if i am wrong
Spoke with them earlier this week. They quoted the two prices. Said they use a different sleeve on the new blocks vs. seasoned. That's about all I know about it, except that they are rough-bored to the desired size, but not finish-honed. It occures to me now that I should have asked about break-in, and if there is any curing time required before assembly, and warranty, and the limitations on CR/HP/RPM.
Old 01-28-2005 | 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Timberwolf
the problem I tihnk you will find is you'd need an incredibly short rod which would side load the heack out of the bores, not to mention you may run into compression height problems. This is why I was trying to go for a bigger bore and less stroke so the rods could be kept longer.
You can't run a shorter rod with a bigger stroke and stock deck height. You're right about not having much compression height. I have seen the pistons for a 4.250 stroke, and they don't look nitrous friendly to say the least.
Old 01-28-2005 | 02:37 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Karlo
Please correct me if I am wrong. I am kinda new at this. LQ9 6.0 iron block Bore is 4.0 and a crank of 4.250 yields. Bore x Bore x Stroke x 8 x .7854 = Cubic Inch. 4 x 4 x 4.250 x 8 x .7854 = 427.2576. Granted the 4.250 Crank will need some strategic grinding on the bottom of the cyclinder liners in ls1 block. It sounds like it can worked . This information is from some my reading. Any input is encouraged.

This would probably not be a really reliable deal due to the extremely short pistons or the pistons coming so far out at the bottom of the bore. I really build this stuff everyday and I wouldn't want anything like that coming out of this shop unless they knew it was pretty marginal.

Quick Reply: 427 build...advice and where to get the pieces?