Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual-Springs Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

nick whats the .200 duration on that lobe, and what rockers are you going to run it with
Old 01-12-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember it being one more degree then the 242 xe-r lobe. I will be running the T&D Shaft Mount Rockers. The at .200" duration is 164 according to the information you posted over on Eastern Fbody. The 242 xe-r was 163 I think. Where did you get that info anyway, was it from the new comp master catalog?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is an LSK lobe? Is it in the online catalog? And, the online catalog only has XERs to 244. There are bigger ones?

Patriot's cams look pretty mild. While I don't know the specs, a 239 .651" valve lift cam may require more than 140# on the seat and 350# over the nose.

Comp engine builder support seems to have a very good handle on what springs work with a specific cam lobe and valve train (mass, ratios, etc.).

Are their any specs on the Patriot springs. From the prices, are all Patriot parts Chinese?

Thanks,

David
Old 01-12-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen open pressure range from 360 to 390 from what people have posted here.

The LSK lobes are not on the online catalog. People have been running XE-R lobes bigger then 244 for quite some time now, they are just not listed. Comp does not list a lot of things in their master catalogs.

If the Patriots do not work, although I think they will, I'll just have to try something else.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

What is the spec, advertised @.006 tappet lift, @.050 and @.200 lobe lift, lobe lift at TDC at 106deg and 110 deg CL, and max lobe lift of the two lobes you are installing?

Thanks,

David
Old 01-12-2005, 04:55 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
What is an LSK lobe? Is it in the online catalog? And, the online catalog only has XERs to 244. There are bigger ones?

Patriot's cams look pretty mild. While I don't know the specs, a 239 .651" valve lift cam may require more than 140# on the seat and 350# over the nose.

Comp engine builder support seems to have a very good handle on what springs work with a specific cam lobe and valve train (mass, ratios, etc.).

Are their any specs on the Patriot springs. From the prices, are all Patriot parts Chinese?

Thanks,

David
Super Clean, Chrome Silicon
Electro-Polished

Maximum Lift
.650"

O.D./I.D.
1.290/.674

Installed/Open
Pressure
135@1.800
350@1.150

Coil Bind
1.090"

There is not a single piece of our spring kit that is made in China. We have covered the manufactuer of our spring kit pieces in previous threads. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to contact us.

Last edited by GUNNAR@PATRIOT; 01-12-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We are one of a few sponsors on the board that keep the PRC spring kits in stock. Feel free to call me at the number below or e-mail me at trevor@texas-speed.com if you have any questions or concerns. We have a few different packages that include the PRC spring kit if you're needing a complete package.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance

Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
Whos sells them, how much?
Old 01-12-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We have used the PRC kit on a lot of our head's. I have also use the Patriots.Both kits use the same spring. We prefer the PRC kits due to the keepers on the Patriots have sometimes proven ill fitting.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I suspected that after looking at the picture in the other thread posted on this section of tech.

You might want to look at other things causing keeper fitment issues. The first set of Manley Valve I got for my heads either the intake or exhaust valve would not fit but the other fit fine (I can't remember which one it is). The locks would fit my stock valves, a set of truck valves from the 5.3s that are on my car right now, and the first set of Manley valves which was the valve that did not have the problem (like I said before I can't remember if it was the exhaust or the intake that had the fitment issue but the other exhaust or intake Manley valves did not have a problem. I Mic'd the Manley valves and found a variance in the machine groove for the keepers. I called Manley they sent me a whole set of new valves and I had no problems at all.

In other words the problem might be caused by the vary consistant nature of the bead loc in the super seven locks not being as tolerant to different size grooves cut in different valves.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the spec, advertised @.006 tappet lift, @.050 and @.200 lobe lift, lobe lift at TDC at 106deg and 110 deg CL, and max lobe lift of the two lobes you are installing?

Thanks,

David
ADV 289/295
.050" 239/246
.200" 164/don't know what the xe-r lobe is

Don't know the other values as I do not have a cam doctor sheet, just the card from Comp. Know I did not degree it and will not be degreeing it. I did check the p/v clearence though.

Max Lobe lift is .3830/.3610

106lsa

106icl
Old 01-12-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
I suspected that after looking at the picture in the other thread posted on this section of tech.

You might want to look at other things causing keeper fitment issues. The first set of Manley Valve I got for my heads either the intake or exhaust valve would not fit but the other fit fine (I can't remember which one it is). The locks would fit my stock valves, a set of truck valves from the 5.3s that are on my car right now, and the first set of Manley valves which was the valve that did not have the problem (like I said before I can't remember if it was the exhaust or the intake that had the fitment issue but the other exhaust or intake Manley valves did not have a problem. I Mic'd the Manley valves and found a variance in the machine groove for the keepers. I called Manley they sent me a whole set of new valves and I had no problems at all.

In other words the problem might be caused by the vary consistant nature of the bead loc in the super seven locks not being as tolerant to different size grooves cut in different valves.
you may be right however they included 4 extras in the package we got so I suspect it was just a known fitament issue. I think the PRC may be lighter also due to keeper weight.

Last edited by BrentB@TEA; 01-12-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GUNNAR@PATRIOT
Super Clean, Chrome Silicon
Electro-Polished

There is not a single piece of our spring kit that is made in China. We have covered the manufactuer of our spring kit pieces in previous threads. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to contact us.
Any manufacturing info is lost in a large number of posts. Your spring, retainers, keepers, seal, and seat for $280 is on the low end of price. Comparable to other low end combinations, for example a $300 spring/retainer/keeper Crane setup at Jegs.

So who makes your springs? And why do you think they are equivalent to PSI, Isky Tool Room (which I believe are PSI), Manley Nextek, high-end Comps, etc.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I hope they are nice because my intake lobe is going to find their weekness real quick if not.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrentB@TEA
you may be right however they included 4 extras in the package we got so I suspect it was just a known fitament issue. I think the PRC may be lighter also due to keeper weight.

Maybe a hair, some the the weight will be offset by the large whole in the retainer for the Patriots too. Although titanium is lighter then steel so more steel and less titanium (Patriots) probably is more heavy then more titanium and less steel (PRCs)
Old 01-12-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

This isn't the price range spring I would use with XE-Rs, let alone something more aggressive. At .650+ you are talking about a lot of lift for 1.29" spring.

Are you using hollow or Ti valves? Shaft rockers? If the lift was from ratio you would have less lifter/pushrod movement and more mechanical advantage for the spring.

I would talk with Comp first for spring rate recommendation. They do a lot of testing with their lobes.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said, if they don't work I will have to try another spring.

I am running a shaft rocker but just Steel Manley Valves. Most of the comp techs I have talked to don't even know about these lobes. Looks like I will be a ginny pig.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

You need to get hold of one their engine builder support people. Different from the everyday telephone help. You are right about their regular telephone support. With some exception, not enough experience or knowledge to help you build a true high performance or race engine.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe I'll try, the problem is these guys don't do much ls1 stuff. When I called and inquired about the comp shaft rockers and started asking him specific questions (there ls1 guy at that) he really didn't have much experience and told me to talk to "ls1 tuners". I have talked to Geoff and Jason at thunder quite a bit about my setup and they think it will work but do not have much experience with the patriot springs either. I told them the seat and open pressure and they thought it would work but I won't know until this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Just a clarification, I am not saying the the Patriot stuff is bad. It has its place as offering great performance potential for a certain level and use.

Turning an LS1 in to 400+ street horsepower engine on a budget would be that place IMHO. And it seems that's were the posters using it are targeting. And they probably made a great choice.

It would seem that Patriot would agree with that, as their advertising and web site is value oriented, and of course, no cores!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Any manufacturing info is lost in a large number of posts. Your spring, retainers, keepers, seal, and seat for $280 is on the low end of price. Comparable to other low end combinations, for example a $300 spring/retainer/keeper Crane setup at Jegs.
I am sure most here won't agree, but these sub-$300 kit have the infamous "stigma of low cost". In other words, when something is too cheap you wonder how it can possibly be good quality!

I am going to use the Comp 921 duals in my LS1. Perhaps I could have saved a few dollars by using a different brand, but at least I will never have to second guess my purchase decision on a critial component.