Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any help much appreciated!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 02:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile any help much appreciated!!!

hey guys ive been reading posts on this site for a long time and has helped me alot. im new to making a post and all help is appreciated.. ok so heres my problem. i have a 98 6 speed z28, i bought it in august its my 2nd ls1 crashed the first ne way i started really getting into modding this one but as i was bringin it into the shop to have the clutch installed i took my friend who has a muttstang for a ride and i did the infamous miss shift from 3rd into 2nd and now somethings knocking think its a lifter. my brothers helping me with everything because hes been bulding cars for years and knows more then me. my question or rather his question is whats the best way to get the engine out with out a lift, where gunna do it in his 2 car garage. im going to rebuild the whole ls1 while its out i already bought the patriot stage 2 head and cam package but i still need everything any suggestions on a good site for prices on a ls1 rebuild kit will help to... this is my first post i hope i did everything rite thanks guy.....
Old 01-12-2005, 03:51 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unbolt the the K-member and bring it out from the bottom of the car.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why are you pulling the motor?? Unless you're going forged, stroking it, or it is very high mileage, why don't you just fix what's broke? Just my .02.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no need to pull the motor....I got money that says all you did was manually over-revved the motor, and bent a few pushrods.....just pull the valve covers and inspect your pushrods, and valvetrain....

Hell, you can replace the lifters in a weekend...
Old 01-13-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

just pull the valve covers off and check for loose rockers. but even if you have to take it out. it comes out the bottom pretty easy . 2 guys working on it can do it in an hour.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

hey thanks for all the opinions i agree that i must likley bent a pushrod too and i could just fix without dropping the motor but i wanted to put the patriot head and cam package on but im affraid the bottom end will go having 91,000 miles on it, so while i have my brother agreeing to help me i mite as well do it all . also im thinkin that if i do it all in just one shot the motor could b finished by may and have it ready for the summer , besides with the weather in ny its hard to get a good couple days striaght to drive without rain or snow
Old 01-14-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand that, but if you're going to rebuild it why go stock. If it were me, I would install the heads and cam. Enjoy it for the summer and save your pennies. Next winter, tear it down and do a forged stroker. That's the way to go IMHO.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

thats a good point too didnt think about that, wassent going to rebuild it stock ne way but if i wait i could do a 383. its ticking loud and gets louder at idle sounds like a pushrod to you? thats wat usually happens when u over rev missing a gear rite
Old 01-14-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like it was said, bent pushrod(s). Sixty bucks and an hour of your time and youll be back on the road. Or you could just wait till you do your head / cam package. I would leave the motor in the car, and forget about the rebuild kit unlles you have some other very serious problems.