Sponsored by:

AFR 205's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Internet "Ethics"...

Originally Posted by jrp
tony has wrote so many posts on the AFR's both 205 and 225 you could right a whole book. he's coverd chamber size, angle and flat milling, cam selection quench, gasket thickness, valve sizing, ect. he is also a business man and doesnt have the luxory to sit around and respond to every little AFR question especially one he's answered ad nasuem. a few searches under the name "Tony Mamo" would have answered your question faster the waiting around for responses.
Thank you JRP...

My thoughts exactly....Few manufacturer's, if any, spend the time I do posting here to help and aid you guys in completely understanding the product and it's benefits, as well as trying to give insight on putting together the right combinations. Better than 50% of the time I spend posting is on MY personal time. I refuse to answer the same questions 50 times...especially very "general" questions....when I have taken the time to write volumes of information IN DETAIL that can easily be accessed by doing a search under my name. What good is a "quick" answer anyway when you can do a search a find a much more detailed response which you will probably gain more knowledge from. I am the Sales Mgr. at AFR and I handle most of the R&D and design work (anything airflow related, ports, chambers, etc.)....the time I decide to spend on the internet is purely at my discretion and should be considered a "bonus". I do my best at handling questions posted to me via PM's in a timely manner and try to get everyone handled. It's all about being efficient and answering the same questions over and over again is counterproductive, not to mention starts boring the life out of everyone reading them for the third, fourth, tenth time etc.

I find that when I am in need of information and decide to do a "search", I get the information I need and then some almost immediatly, without having to wait for other people chiming in on a new thread regarding a topic that more than likely has been discussed 100 times over. If I can't find the information I will start a thread posing that question or concern, but not before at least trying to see whats already out there. Doing a search is more than just being "helpful" to yourself....it shows courtesy to the other board members so THEY dont have to type the same %$#* over and over again....

I know JRP can relate.....LOL

Hope you guys can understand and respect that.

Regards,
Tony M.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I respect that totally and if i caused u that much distress about a question im sorry. But now look at what you are doing, you had to write a couple paragraphs, when a sentence post b4 would have been fine, thats all im saying. and since you are looking at this does AFR have an approved cam for the 205's that will still pass cali smog??? that is my main concern to pass the sniffer i have some1 for the visual
Old 01-16-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Thank you JRP...

My thoughts exactly....Few manufacturer's, if any, spend the time I do posting here to help and aid you guys in completely understanding the product and it's benefits, as well as trying to give insight on putting together the right combinations.
Bet you'll sell more heads too, i'm sure you're not doin it for health benefits ... but anyway like i already said, you have discussed your product very well.

my whole point was that if you're takin the time to post a reply might just as well answer the question ... if you want to tell someone to use the search button go for it, nothin i can do to stop you and nothin you can do to stop people from askin the same questions 100 times over ... i just like assuming people aren't idiots and know there is a search button and would of used it if they had wanted to

i do think you will be tellin a lot more people to use the search button though, since ls1's are pretty old and just bout every topic that can be discussed pretty much has ... might as well turn this site into a search engine for ls1 information, no need for a forum everything's already been discussed.

as long as you're replyin to this thread tony, how come the only cam i've heard of bein recommended with the 205 heads is the afr 224/228 and haven't heard of any other cam workin well with those heads? doesn't seem like too many options once you throw those heads on, everyone with afr 205 heads is gonna end up with the same setup.

Last edited by madpwr1; 01-16-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

tony can i please get an answer on what cam you would recommend for your 205 heads and still pass smog? After this thread im still interested in the heads, even a year ago when i first started to get the simple mods, my uncle told me if you ever want to get heads AFR makes a set for your engine and they are the best on the market. so let me know
Old 01-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VaNDaL*SS*
tony can i please get an answer on what cam you would recommend for your 205 heads and still pass smog? After this thread im still interested in the heads, even a year ago when i first started to get the simple mods, my uncle told me if you ever want to get heads AFR makes a set for your engine and they are the best on the market. so let me know
AFR cam part #6018....It will pass emissions with the right tune of course and still make good power. It's a little smaller that the cam featured in my car which is to close to the "ragged edge" for me to suggest anyone that MUST pass smog run it.

Our "emissions" cam is a 220/224 stick on a 115 LSA. It will still pull strong to 6700 or so with typical bolt-ons and the AFR 205 heads.

Good luck...enjoy the AFR's.

Tony M.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

hey thanks alot, thats all i needed, ill more than likely be giving you a call in the spring time =D...also any estimates on what kinda hp that combo would make? like 435ishrwhp

Last edited by VaNDaL*SS*; 01-16-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildheart
I noticed you have a Stealth II listed in your future mods...Do not use that cam with the AFR's I lost about 30 rwhp when I switched heads to the AFR's. I am now swapping in the cam that afr recomends. Should have dyno numbers in about a week.

Can I ask a few questions on this.

What heads did you come from?
Where there any other changes?
Do you have a dyno overlay of both heads with A/F on them?
Aside from peak numbers, were there losses or gains under the curve?

I honestly find it somewhat hard to believe a straight across head swap made you drop 30rwhp. I'm not saying it is not possible, but that seems a little weird if you ask me.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LIL SS
Can I ask a few questions on this.

What heads did you come from?
Where there any other changes?
Do you have a dyno overlay of both heads with A/F on them?
Aside from peak numbers, were there losses or gains under the curve?

I honestly find it somewhat hard to believe a straight across head swap made you drop 30rwhp. I'm not saying it is not possible, but that seems a little weird if you ask me.
1. Absolute stage II's 5.7's with a 65cc chamber
2. Went from a Corsa with a Bullet in the I pipe to a MagnaFlow, no bullet.
Also added a ported TB. Both were tuned. I will see if I can find the graphs.
If I remember right, the under the curve was close on both heads until up top.

Here is a link where the dyno graph is posted....
http://www.norcal-ls1.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36667

Last edited by Wildheart; 01-17-2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:44 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BLASTER
Should update location to "under a rock"
lol, go easy on him
Old 01-17-2005, 10:22 AM

Any chance of droping the exhaust for 1 more pull. I know my reverse split loved open headers. I also believe Colonel did some pulls with out the exhaust and it really woke up the MTI Stealth Cam.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:24 AM

Here is the link of Colonel's results. Look at the difference corked vrs un corked made. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=stealth
Old 01-17-2005, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Uncorking will most likely up the HP for sure with any cam. But the Magnaflow should flow better than the Corsa with the bullet, plus she added a ported TB. From this resulted in a significant difference from the Ab heads. This is most likely just the combination and Tony said reverse split's didn't fair well with the AFR heads. Better off going with a tested combination I guess instead of being the guinea pig for every other cam out there and hope it works..

Dan
Old 01-17-2005, 03:13 PM

Dan, you still have a few cams laying around? Give me a call when you get some time.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Yep, one for sure, and 2 soon.

I'll give you a ring tomorrow..