Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are special solutions just for cleaning aluminum. I'd be careful what chemicals you use. Some of the most mild seeming cleaners will etch aluminum and make it look dull.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racehead
There are special solutions just for cleaning aluminum. I'd be careful what chemicals you use. Some of the most mild seeming cleaners will etch aluminum and make it look dull.

are you suggesting the super clean might not be the best thing to use?? i guess a better question would be what is good and not good(as far as actual compounds go) for cleaning aluminum??
Old 01-17-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

I work at a machine shop. We clean mildly dirty heads with a bead blaster. This gets all the buildup out of the ports and chambers. For really dirty heads, they get soaked in the parts washer, and scrubbed with pipe brushes.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Launching!

So I am going to be helping clean these heads, and I still do not feel comfortable about what tools/cleaners we should use.

We are doing it this weekend, and I don't want any possiblities of messing anything up. I want to be able to find everything that we need easily (like Auto Zone).

Can someone that has actually done this with everyday tools please post a list of everything we need?
Old 01-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like LOnSLO's idea of bead blasting them best; a lot less work and does a better job. Blasting cabinets are only $69.95 right now both at Checker Auto parts and Harbor Frieght. Both are big enough to do heads. Oh, you do need an air compressor to run the bead blaster, but who works on cars without air tools?

If you live near a military base, they usually have a auto hobby shop where you can use one as well as the parts washer he mentioned.

Last edited by Cal; 01-20-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cal
I like LOnSLO's idea of bead blasting them best; a lot less work and does a better job. Blasting cabinets are only $69.95 right now both at Checker Auto parts and Harbor Frieght. Both are big enough to do heads. Oh, you do need an air compressor to run the bead blaster, but who works on cars without air tools?

If you live near a military base, they usually have a auto hobby shop where you can use one as well as the parts washer he mentioned.
Never heard of Checker Auto parts or Harbor Frieght. Plus I do not think that he is going to spend $70 just to clean up some heads...

Any help with "everyday" tools we can use?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Default cleaning

I use brake clean(the flammable kind). It burns your skin alittle but it's tolerable, but lord help you if you get it in your eyes. It works good for small jobs, but if you get it on your valves they won't last long after that. Also, I use a die grinder with cross buffing pads.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Default Heads Cleanup

I just finished mine. Go to Dollar General and buy oven cleaner, $1 a can. Three cans, a parts brush and a hose. 1 hour later you are done.
C5JIM
Old 01-21-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by c5jim
I just finished mine. Go to Dollar General and buy oven cleaner, $1 a can. Three cans, a parts brush and a hose. 1 hour later you are done.
C5JIM
so parts brush=toothbrush or brass brush(based on previous posts)? 1 hour!! that didnt take long
Old 01-21-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well ive done some posting on the local board as well.. im gettin all kind of responses....is it going to benefit me AT ALL if i clean the heads??? some people are telling me not to even do it(except for the surface that mates with the block, obviously) i figured it would help me out but what do i know...
Old 01-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Launching!

We need to go ahead and do it...especially if it is only going to take an hour!

If not for just the idea of putting a nicely cleaned part on your car then for us to be able to tell what kind of condition everything is in... It is hard to tell since they the have so many carbon deposits on them.

I know that there do not have very many miles on them or anything, but it is better to be safe then sorry...
Old 01-21-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Take them to a machine shop. For about $300 you can have them cleaned, (we have an Aluminium vat), checked out and have a valve job done. At the bare minimum pulled apart cleaned, and lapped. Its well worth it, the heads will look great and you will sleep well knowing they have been checked out. Good insurance when you factor in the price of head gaskets, and head bolts if there is something wrong with them.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteelBallz
We need to go ahead and do it...especially if it is only going to take an hour!

If not for just the idea of putting a nicely cleaned part on your car then for us to be able to tell what kind of condition everything is in... It is hard to tell since they the have so many carbon deposits on them.

I know that there do not have very many miles on them or anything, but it is better to be safe then sorry...

no no...we are going to do it anyway...i was just curious