Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP 1.85 track results

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Another_User
You do realize that if you had just bought a bigger cam you wouldn't have needed the rockers right? And you wouldn't have needed to spend all that extra money.
Yes, I realize that. I intentionally picked a low lift cam to work with higher ratio rocker arms. I wanted to see for myself what the rocker arm swap would do.

I’m now able to easily adjust the engines character. If I want a stronger lowend, all I have to do is replace the 1.85 rockers with the stock 1.7s. If I want still more lowend, then I can advance the cam with my Cloyes Hex-adjust timing chain. With the stock rockers and the cam installed on a 112 icl, the car scooted out of the hole pretty good even with the stock torque converter (hi-1.8 to lo-1.9 sixties). Of course it was not as good as a car with a hi stall, but it was entertaining for a street setup.

But I'll admit, I didn't expect the rockers to change the engines character that much. I was expecting to have to mess with the cam timing along with the rocker ratio change to get any measureable gain. It was a nice surprise to gain 2 mph. Although I lost the ability to crank 1.8 sixties, I can make up for that in other ways.

My goals are different from most guys on this board. If I wanted to maximize power for mainly strip performance, you are correct, I should have gotten a cam with more lift and duration. I also should have done a lot of other things different. It is hard for me to not want to go real fast on the track. But my goal is to stay with less expensive street-oriented mods that don't need much fuss.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, sorry if I misunderstood that guy's post..

Quick Reply: SLP 1.85 track results