Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR 205s with G5X3

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a "rule of thumb" that tells you how much duration/lift you can run for a given chamber size with your heads Tony?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Well stated Tony.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Still waiting to hear back from Tony! Probably working? Chime in when get a chance.thanks
Old 01-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jub jub
Is there a "rule of thumb" that tells you how much duration/lift you can run for a given chamber size with your heads Tony?
No rule of thumb....it's simply a clearance that must be checked in the "mock-up" phase of any engine build. Cam intensity, duration, and intalled ICL will all change how much piston to valve you ultimately end up with.

NO5.0....as far as your goals (500 RWHP), you would need higher CR (I would shoot for 11.25) and an X3 or smilar cam to get close, or possibly nail your 500 RWHP. Its obvious that ALL the bolt-ons would need to be addressed here with some decent time spent tuning on the chassis dyno as well. The reality is that even without dotting every "I" and crosing every "T" you should be able to put down high 400's with a FAST 90, long tubes, UD pulley, and all the typical H/C mods. BUT...you need to notch pistons and mill the heads to 59 cc's with an .040 thick head gasket. As far as how to notch pistons in an F-Body and what kind of job it is, I'm sure there are ALOT of people on this site that could share some of their experiences with you.

Good luck...let us know how things turn out.

Tony M.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
No rule of thumb....it's simply a clearance that must be checked in the "mock-up" phase of any engine build. Cam intensity, duration, and intalled ICL will all change how much piston to valve you ultimately end up with.

NO5.0....as far as your goals (500 RWHP), you would need higher CR (I would shoot for 11.25) and an X3 or smilar cam to get close, or possibly nail your 500 RWHP. Its obvious that ALL the bolt-ons would need to be addressed here with some decent time spent tuning on the chassis dyno as well. The reality is that even without dotting every "I" and crosing every "T" you should be able to put down high 400's with a FAST 90, long tubes, UD pulley, and all the typical H/C mods. BUT...you need to notch pistons and mill the heads to 59 cc's with an .040 thick head gasket. As far as how to notch pistons in an F-Body and what kind of job it is, I'm sure there are ALOT of people on this site that could share some of their experiences with you.

Good luck...let us know how things turn out.

Tony M.
Thanks again Tony, Quick ?, you said go with a 599cc w/.040 gasket? Was wondering because in the following thread you advised Mike Norris@ Norris motorsports to use a 62cc head w/.040 for a tighter quench as opposed to 60cc and gm stock gasket? which is correct or are they different cenarios because of cam choice?He used a 226/230 XER. Thanks and I will decide which route to go soon.flycut and get all the pwr or not and sacrifice!hmmm Appreciate all the help!Also why will the x3 cam fit in a stock head setup w/no notching and not w/AFRs ? https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/260078-nlp-2002-z06-afr-heads-cam-results-w-minimal-mods.html
Old 01-21-2005, 03:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it will fit on stock heads.

I have yet to see a piston break on the bottle in the areas where flycutting takes place. Normally the ringlands are the issue.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Louis
Yes, it will fit on stock heads.

I have yet to see a piston break on the bottle in the areas where flycutting takes place. Normally the ringlands are the issue.
you lost me on the ringland thing. Did you come up with any other combo? I tried calling but you were on other line. Check your voice mail i would like to disscuss some pkgs with you. thanks
Old 01-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NO5.0
Thanks again Tony, Quick ?, you said go with a 599cc w/.040 gasket? Was wondering because in the following thread you advised Mike Norris@ Norris motorsports to use a 62cc head w/.040 for a tighter quench as opposed to 60cc and gm stock gasket? which is correct or are they different cenarios because of cam choice?He used a 226/230 XER. Thanks and I will decide which route to go soon.flycut and get all the pwr or not and sacrifice!hmmm Appreciate all the help!Also why will the x3 cam fit in a stock head setup w/no notching and not w/AFRs ? https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260078

I advised Mike to use a 62 cc head because it is a milder combination, not to mention didn't need valve reliefs which has the same effect as adding two cc's or so to your chamber volume....meaning a 59 cc head and pistons that have been notched 2 cc's or so is the same CR as a 61 cc head with no valve reliefs. Plus, with your larger more aggressive cam choice I was looking foe a little higher static compression.

And if the X3 will fit with a stock head it should also fit with an unmilled 205 but once again were back to not having enough CR to make a very effective package.

Call me at AFR if you still need some help...

Tony M.
(818)890-0616 Ext. 109
Old 01-23-2005, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

THANKS Tony Ill be getting ahold of you soon.

Quick Reply: AFR 205s with G5X3