Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter Problem!!!!

i got my new cam today and went to put it in. i used pen magnets to hold up the lifters, like ls1-howto.com says to, so i can remove the cam. i got the old cam out. as i put in the new cam, one of the pen magnets fell right thru the pushrod hole, and is down in the engine along with the lifter! Im sure that the lifter did not stay stuck to the magnet, and is probably lower in the motor. What do i do???????? Please, no reply posts like "your fucked" or anything else like that, im really bummed.............................
Old 01-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

ANYONE!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Restricted User

You have to pull the head and drop the pan so basically you are
Old 01-21-2005, 11:03 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turn it upside down and shake very very hard....

Sorry, but your fucked,

Did you turn the cam several times by hand before you pulled it out to install the new one...thats what I did and it worked perfectly.

Sorry about your luck, that is going to be a pain in the ***...

SDB
Old 01-21-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Man...

I assume you already tried fishing things out through that PR hole with another pen magnet?
Old 01-21-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

actually man, u might not have to lower the oil pan all the way. in order to lower it all the way, u need to drop the k member and lift the engine, but u might be able to just undo the oil pan bolts and drop it about an inch or two....and that might be enough to stick a flexible magnet in there to grab onto the lifter and the pen magnet handle. a good mirror will be handy to to look up inside the oil pan cuz the tranny will probably prevent u from looking into the pan w/o a mirror. good luck man. if u need help dropping the pan all the way, gimme a call and ill run u thru it if uve never done it before. 757-434-4191
Old 01-22-2005, 12:54 AM
Banned

Actually, the pen magnet is still in the head and you can see it by looking down the cam hole in the front of the motor. I am not 100% positive that the lifter fell to the pan. it MIGHT be still attached to the end of the pen magnet, but prolly not, with my luck. What about in the front of the pan?? there is a slot in the front, under the crank gear where the chain is that exposes the oil pan.......... Can i take off the valley cover where the knock sensors are and go in thru there? i believe that it opens up the top of the motor, however, i cant get the knock sensors out........ any more suggestions?????
Old 01-22-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ricethis98
Actually, the pen magnet is still in the head and you can see it by looking down the cam hole in the front of the motor. I am not 100% positive that the lifter fell to the pan. it MIGHT be still attached to the end of the pen magnet, but prolly not, with my luck. What about in the front of the pan?? there is a slot in the front, under the crank gear where the chain is that exposes the oil pan.......... Can i take off the valley cover where the knock sensors are and go in thru there? i believe that it opens up the top of the motor, however, i cant get the knock sensors out........ any more suggestions?????
Is the cam in place? if not or if you dropped a lifter you can drop the oil pan a little and fish the lifter out with a pen magnet and flash light, If the pen maget is still in the head you should try to fish it out with another pen magnet but it would be good to have the cam or something in place so that the lifter does not fall into the pan. BTW I have done all this before my self so I know how you feel.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Banned

yea, it sounded like the lifter fell to the pan, i heard something, but, i tried using another pen magnet to get the other one out, and the pens i used HAVE PLASTIC ON THE TIP!!! so it doesnt stick on the end so i can see the pen magnet when i look through the cam hole. but i cant grab it. do i have to take the head off???? i dont want the pen to fall into the pan too. can the pan be loosened enough to get the lifter out??? give me your advice. I took some pictures in thru the cam hole, u can see what im talking about. How do i post pictures on here????

Last edited by ricethis98; 01-24-2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Banned

anyone else???
Old 01-25-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Do you have access to one of those little claw-grabber things that they sell at hardware stores? I think they're used for fishing junk out of the traps in sinks.