Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 to a LS6 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snafu
So are you saying that with a TR224 you're going to have to replace springs every 15k? I thought that cam was pretty mild and would work fine with stock internals.

I was thinking of getting one, what are your impressions of it? Numbers?

Thanks.
I want to see this answer too. I was planning on putting my 224/226 .569/.571 114LSA Comp Cam in with a new set of blue 918 springs and put some miles on it. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:33 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So are you saying that with a TR224 you're going to have to replace springs every 15k? I thought that cam was pretty mild and would work fine with stock internals.

Thanks.
no you dont.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.
I probiably won't have to, but it's just an expression.
May be ok for awhile. The springs will for sure not be an install and forget type of thing.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flareside
Sorry, but I just don't agree with this. Opening the engine isn't the issue, it's valvetrain longevity and the engineering that goes into 150K mile certified LS6 parts. There's a reason that the LS6 cam both doesn't idle as well or make as much power as a Comp XE, etc. that has an extra 15 or 20 degrees of duration, and that's because the XE is working the valvetrain much harder against heavy valves and thicker, more brittle springs.

I went through this with a few C4 Vettes and the LT4 hotcam kit. That kit didn't deter anyone, the buyer was always thought it was a big bonus because it was basically a more refined stock engine. I also had a C4 with an aftermarket high lift cam, nobody wanted it. "I have to check the springs for damage and wear every winter? Bye..."

Aftermarket cam packages are a great thing, as long as you won't be selling the car, IMO. LS1Tech is a great resource, but it represents the lunatic fringe of LS1 owners, not the average buyer.
I guess that we will just agree to disagree.
I feel that anytime the engine has been "cracked open" then you're taking a risk. In some cases it's less of a risk than others but a risk just the same. If you use common sense and you know the engines been torn into you then have to ask yourself - why did he make these modifications.....and you know the honest answer is alway to go faster
Old 01-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.
No way would I run a cam like that without removing and measuring the springs every 15-20k. TR's site even acknowledges the 224 as a fast ramp rate cam. Actually, I would do it much more often than that, because it would be a winter project and I don't use mine as a daily driver. I would just replace them as a maintenance item every 10k or so. IMO, if you don't want to deal with that, don't run an aggressive cam.

There's a reason that most GM performance cams have smaller lift and long seat duration (even when the .050 duration is decent), it's very easy on the valvetrain and lasts a long time, way longer than an agressive aftermarket valvetrain. Duration at .050 has nothing to do with how agressive a cam is, a 224 will usually be harder on the valvetrain than a 244 given the same lift because the ramps are longer on the bigger cam, so the valvetrain accelerations are reduced.