Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lingenfelter GT2-3 LS1 Camshaft and Valve Spring Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

torque increas will be minimal imo. i only gained 7 tp after i installed the GT2-3. horsepower, on the other hand, will jump about 30 rwhp (i gained 35 rwhp). don't expect a big jump in tq.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which is better and why .The gt 2-3 or the new gt7?for turbo application??.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Which is better and why .The gt 2-3 or the new gt7?for turbo application??.
What's the GT7?
I was set on the gt2-3 because it's gonna be great for me while I"m NA for a year and still be an awesome turbo cam when I switch over.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:13 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GT7 is a new grind that replaced the GT2-3 in our turbo applications. Here are the specs: 208/230 .554/.546 121

This cam will give you better performance when you go to the turbo, but I don't think it will work quiet as well in your N/A setup in the meantime.

I think the GT2-3 is the best choice for what your plans are, and I agree with the post above that you will see very good HP gains, but tq gains will be minimal. I definitly don't think you will lose any tq. going to that cam.

Here's a link to all of our LPE LS1 cam grinds:
http://www.lingenfelter.com/lingenfe...24&pf%5Fid=102

Hope this helps,
Ed
Old 01-26-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ed Potter @ LPE
The GT7 is a new grind that replaced the GT2-3 in our turbo applications. Here are the specs: 208/230 .554/.546 121

This cam will give you better performance when you go to the turbo, but I don't think it will work quiet as well in your N/A setup in the meantime.

I think the GT2-3 is the best choice for what your plans are, and I agree with the post above that you will see very good HP gains, but tq gains will be minimal. I definitly don't think you will lose any tq. going to that cam.

Here's a link to all of our LPE LS1 cam grinds:
http://www.lingenfelter.com/lingenfe...24&pf%5Fid=102

Hope this helps,
Ed
Thank you ed. That's what I needed to hear. You're the man.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:36 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what kind of lobes are the LPE cams cut on?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrp
what kind of lobes are the LPE cams cut on?
Whats that?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:41 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by D3IMOS
Whats that?
im wondering what lobes they are; Comps (xe-r/xe), cam motion, crane, ect. it was mostly directed toward Ed, but if anyone else knows they can chime in.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrp
im wondering what lobes they are; Comps (xe-r/xe), cam motion, crane, ect. it was mostly directed toward Ed, but if anyone else knows they can chime in.
I don't know what any of that is.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Has anybody heard this LPE cam in person? How loud is the valvetrain noise? I have a Comp 220/224 XER cam that I was planning to install this winter, but I just got to hear another LS1 with an XER grind in it, and the noise was way too much for me. Is the LPE cam much quieter? I'm concerned about the large lift.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
I believe its a XE-R grind, I will find out for sure tomorrow, I had this cam for a while. I still have the cam card at the house. Its definately a Comp grind.

Originally Posted by Flareside
Has anybody heard this LPE cam in person? How loud is the valvetrain noise? I have a Comp 220/224 XER cam that I was planning to install this winter, but I just got to hear another LS1 with an XER grind in it, and the noise was way too much for me. Is the LPE cam much quieter? I'm concerned about the large lift.
The valvetrain noise is noticable, but it also depends on the springs you run with it.The Comp 918's make a little noise, like a sewing machine. What springs were on the one you heard?
Old 01-27-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have this cam in my car at the moment but I'm pulling it out in the next few weeks hopefully. Its a great cam and made 31rwph and 1rwt. I had to laugh when we dynoed it and saw the 1 rwt increase. Great stealth cam and the street manners are as good if not better than stock. Installing a F10 cam since my car is no longer a everyday driver. I'm prolly gonna miss it after I change out cams
Old 01-28-2005, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fastmatt98
I have this cam in my car at the moment but I'm pulling it out in the next few weeks hopefully. Its a great cam and made 31rwph and 1rwt. I had to laugh when we dynoed it and saw the 1 rwt increase. Great stealth cam and the street manners are as good if not better than stock. Installing a F10 cam since my car is no longer a everyday driver. I'm prolly gonna miss it after I change out cams
That's awesome I'm so looking forward to getting this cam now..
Old 01-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dustin 98TA
I believe its a XE-R grind, I will find out for sure tomorrow, I had this cam for a while. I still have the cam card at the house. Its definately a Comp grind.

The valvetrain noise is noticable, but it also depends on the springs you run with it.The Comp 918's make a little noise, like a sewing machine. What springs were on the one you heard?
I checked the Comp LS1 lobe catalog, but they don't list anything even remotely close to this cam's specs. Maybe it's running a lobe that's not generally available from them?

The car I heard had Patriot heads/springs. It was way too loud for me. Are duals usually louder than the beehive springs? It looks like LPE is selling this cam along with LS6 springs as a combo, so that may be a better option. I'd just be worried about heavy stainless valves with those springs.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by jrp

Comp Cams does all of our custom grinds for us, but they don't list our grinds in their catalog, we are the only source for the LPE/LS1 grinds.

The GT2-3 with the LS6 springs is a very reliable, and quiet combination, which shouldn't produce any additional valvetrain noise.

Hope this helps,
Ed
Old 01-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Comp Cams does all of our custom grinds for us, but they don't list our grinds in their catalog, we are the only source for the LPE/LS1 grinds.

The GT2-3 with the LS6 springs is a very reliable, and quiet combination, which shouldn't produce any additional valvetrain noise.

Hope this helps,
Ed
Ed, have you done any testing with the LS6 springs and aftermarket 2.02 valves? I know they're about 30% heavier than the LS6 valves that the springs were designed for, so I'm wondering if/when valve float occurs.

I'm also curious about the valve length issue. Since the LS6 valves are longer than normal, wouldn't that reduce the lift that the LS6 springs can accomodate with a shorter LS1 valve? This sounds like a great combo, and I'm going to install it if I can resolve my questions. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-28-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm so excited about this cam. I'm really looking forward to getting it. With the Rear mounted turbo and a cam that makes my idle smooth. The car will look and sound like a lot less hp that it really will have.
I figure if it gives 30hp over stock I'll probably still gain 15 HP over my hotcam.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:38 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Hope this helps,
Ed
thanks Ed. whats the advertise duration?
Old 01-28-2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by jrp
thanks Ed. whats the advertise duration?
207/220 @ .050

Flareside, we've used this combo wit LS1, LS6 and aftermarket 2.02/1.57 valves and not seen any issues with valve float, you are correct that the shorter LS1 valve decreases the amount of lift the springs can handle, but it's not an issue in this combination.

This is a tried and true setup we've used fopr several years. Car Craft magazine did a dyno test with this same setup on a 5.3 with very similar results.

Ed
Old 01-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

I'm using the springs that come with the kit, "484" springs according to the price sheet. They make the same noise as stock. Nobody would know, period. Only way was if you told somebody.

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter GT2-3 LS1 Camshaft and Valve Spring Kit