Old 01-26-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm... i always thought 100 octane would clean off carbon build up
Old 01-26-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
it would absolutly not smell better. you are smelling the lead in the racegas that makes it sweet- 100 unleaded would smell no different than 93 unleaded or 87 unleaded.

i wish it was at pumps. i know i could make use of it, but obviously just putting it in your car would not net any gains.

burning a valve? not even leaded gas will do that. that person is a tool.
They sell 100 unleaded at the pump here - bull s%&t if you can't smell the difference. I can tell the difference 1/2 mile up the street when someone is using it.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

for those interested in using 100/104 octane unleaded gasoline and don't have it at your pumps, you can purchase it online

http://www.hiperfuels.com/index.cgi?...dedDepts=81048

unleaded 100 octane, 5gallons - $59.40
unleaded 104 octane, 5gallons - $59.70

which i think is a rip off, almost $12/gallon and it's only ~$3.50/gallon at the pump

if you buy the 54 gallon drum online you can get it for bout ~5.50/gallon

btw, it says "It contains a comprehensive additive package for greater engine protection and reduced fuel system deposits as measured by the BMW test." ... so how does it exactly add more carbon deposits again?

Last edited by madpwr1; 01-26-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

is 93 fine for 11:1? Im thinking of getting AFR heads w/ them shaved and gaskets to achieve 11:1. I have a cousin running 117(i think, somewhere around there) on 14.4:1 in his 390 '70 cuda putting out around 700hp
Old 01-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Default octane

Higher the octane rating the slower the burn. For many years we've made it mandatory to decarbon the knock engine after every premium grade run because of carbon build-up. When the engine knocks an octane booster is add to the stream(toluene). MTBE is the main ingredient in premium gas. Go to Sherwin Williams and buy a gallon to toluene, smell it, then smell race gas and see if you can tell the difference.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIEFMB2
When the engine knocks an octane booster is add to the stream(toluene). ...... Go to Sherwin Williams and buy a gallon to toluene..........
and now we enter the wonderful world of REAL octane boosters... if anyone here wants to know more about toluene then just read some of the GN boards... since thoes guys need more octane for extreme boost, they have alot of info on blending it in.....

cool stuff..

and btw yea, 93 does smell better then 87... its just the additives they pour in it.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
it would absolutly not smell better. you are smelling the lead in the racegas that makes it sweet- 100 unleaded would smell no different than 93 unleaded or 87 unleaded.

i wish it was at pumps. i know i could make use of it, but obviously just putting it in your car would not net any gains.

burning a valve? not even leaded gas will do that. that person is a tool.
The premium I use definately has a different smell(better) than regular unleaded. My parents have even commented that it smells "sweet" when its warming up in the garage. I'm not sure what causes the smell but its a closer smell to race gas than 87.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Higher the octane rating the slower the burn. For many years we've made it mandatory to decarbon the knock engine after every premium grade run because of carbon build-up. When the engine knocks an octane booster is add to the stream(toluene). MTBE is the main ingredient in premium gas. Go to Sherwin Williams and buy a gallon to toluene, smell it, then smell race gas and see if you can tell the difference.
In a sense, isn't running too high of octane like running too rich insofar as the slower burn results in incomplete combustion?
Old 01-26-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't need a higher octane don't use it. I work in a refinery, when we blend gasoline we run a knock engine as we are blending. When we blend premium gasoline we find alot more carbon on the head and piston top after the blending. The motor runs off of a random stream taken from the blend line. The motor is used to adjust the octane level of the blend. So if you don't need it don't use it unless you like carbon build up.
That is good info and I was gonna post it if you didnt.

Put it like this. Dont use it if you dont need it. Higher octane of course burns slower. If you use higher than you need you will have unburned gas left over. Unburned gas builds up as carbon. I argued with the guys at the dealership about my 4.3 CPI engine in my Blazer for a long time because my EGR kept clogging up. They said I need to quit running 93. I went to 89 (87 pings) and it hasnt done it since.

The only high dollar fuel I can see making more power is an oxygenated fuel.

Quick Reply: If 100 octane gas was available.......