Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shimming the rockers w/ AFR's cut .030....gotta do something

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the stupid questions, but do you want the wear pattern to be completely centered or do you want to max lift to be closer to the center cause there's more pressure at that point? Or is the travel really small compared to the valve stem diameter?
Old 01-30-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony- how were you able to measure the pre-load on the lifter? Were you able to do this because of the stud (as opposed to stock pedestal) setup that you are running?

Thanks
Ben
Old 01-30-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Tony- how were you able to measure the pre-load on the lifter? Were you able to do this because of the stud (as opposed to stock pedestal) setup that you are running?

Thanks
Ben
Even though the LS-1 rockers are pedestal style, you can still set them to zero lash. Once there, you can measure how many turns past that point it is to 22 ft lb's. That is what I did anyway.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74882

You gotta be kidding me,according to LGM they recommed the 7.4 pushrods with the AFR's milled .040.
WTF maybe i'll just drop em in and torque em down and forgetaboutit after all.
"Having said that, the only thing to do is to check your pushrods and make sure that you have the 7.400. that is the length that works with the AFR milled .040."
Old 01-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirek
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74882

You gotta be kidding me,according to LGM they recommed the 7.4 pushrods with the AFR's milled .040.
WTF maybe i'll just drop em in and torque em down and forgetaboutit after all.
Jeff...

After all the information posted here...PLEASE tell me your kidding.

As far as the question regarding how much preload I have, I figured it out using the thread pitch of the 3/8 by 24 stud in the Crane kit. Im about 1.375 turns past zero lash which equates to a little more than .040 per turn.
I know this is "unheard" of with a Comp "R" lifter but it has been working like a charm for me going on 8 months now.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I know this is "unheard" of with a Comp "R" lifter but it has been working like a charm for me going on 8 months now.
This is good info. Tony, thanks. I've seen many threads discussing how if the Comp R's aren't exactly within Comp's preload tolerances you can lose a lot of power, but it would seem your setup negates that for sure. Some people seem to have problems, some people don't I guess.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With pictures on how:

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer...ECVTTech1.html
Old 01-31-2005, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Jeff...

After all the information posted here...PLEASE tell me your kidding.

As far as the question regarding how much preload I have, I figured it out using the thread pitch of the 3/8 by 24 stud in the Crane kit. Im about 1.375 turns past zero lash which equates to a little more than .040 per turn.
I believe you are the only person I have heard of that have had success with that much preload on comp r lifters. Does this combo rpm well? I'm curious.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:00 AM
TECH Regular

Oh, I'm going to do it correctly -- This is all great info.
I just could not believe that LGM flat out says the 7.4 pushrods as "the one's that work with the AFR's milled .040." w/ the .045 cometics to boot.
It is pertinant to why I originally started the post. It tells me there is alot of varience built into the stock lifters.
Thats milled more than mine & LG builds lots of these. I'll still measure though haha.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:06 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
I believe you are the only person I have heard of that have had success with that much preload on comp r lifters. Does this combo rpm well? I'm curious.
My shift light is set @ 7000 and I don't pull the next gear till I see it go on.

I did testing from 1/8 turn all the way to where I finally ended up moving about a 1/4 turn at a time and re-dynoing after each attempt. No change in the numbers whatsoever....a single digit or two here or there but you always see small moves like that even when you have changed nothing at all. The only thing I did notice was the valvetrain getting progressively quieter.

I just dynoed the car last Thursday to make sure all was well before I take it apart for the 225 install and I tied my best of 481 RWHP with a couple of high 470 runs....so to answer your question, yes the car pulls RPMs and runs well with that set-up.

Tony M.

Quick Reply: Shimming the rockers w/ AFR's cut .030....gotta do something