Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My quote from Patriot I have some concerns and questions. You guys know your sh!t....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D3IMOS
**For $1,495.00 you will get a pair of our CNC ported LQ9 heads. They will be assembled with our 23-8N stainless steel valves, bronze guides, machined spring bases, Patriot Gold .650" dual springs, Titanium retainers, super 7 locks, viton rubber seals, GM MLS head gaskets, OE head bolts, and shipping anywhere in the US. These heads will have 238cc intake runners ( the same runners as the LS6 head), 83cc "D" shaped exhaust runners ( the same as the LS6 head), 72cc combustion chambers, 2.05" stainless intake valves, and 1.60" stainless exhaust valves.**

1.) I was told that with my stock heads since my compression is stock that these heads will drop my compression to about 9.2:1.. Is that correct?

2. I'm concerned about the .650" dual springs, super 7 locks, and vitonrubber seals? Are they as good as the type of components I would buy seperate. Like comp cam 918's.. Don't the 918's come in dual? Aren't they the best? I've also never heard of Viton and Super 7!

3. What about rockers, lifters etc etc. When I buy the heads I'd like to have a complete head with the best bad *** valvetrain that will run with my planned mods.

As most of you guys know I'm planning a turbo kit and plan on using the GT2-3 cam with it. So since she is my daily driver and my hp goal is over 600 I'd like to get her down right the first time.

I don't care if the valvetrain is loud. That kinda stuff doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned about strength, durability, and reliability.
I had no idea that the Patriot "LS6 style" intake ports were so big (238cc). Everybody talks nagatively about the big 240cc intakes in the GM CNC heads, but nobody complains about the Patriot heads. I wonder how the low end throttle response is with that big port? I guess that won't be an issue once you get the turbos installed.

Do you need dual springs? IMO, dual springs are a set backwards for an LSx if you don't really need the extra pressure (noise, heat, wear, and maintenance are all worse). LPE has been clear that they run your planned cam with stock LS6 springs, and it's been completely reliable. Why mess with success? There's no need to spin a twin turbo motor to the moon.

If I were building a TT LS1 with the GT2-3 cam, I'd run the GM CNC heads with the large chambers that SDPC sells. They are perfect for your setup, right down to the port volumes, springs, and valves.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wink

Originally Posted by Sam 04 GTO
I've got the Stage 3 LS6 style heads on my car, w/ the Rev valves. Approx 3k on the motor, and no complaints so far, the car made the numbers in the sig with the stock LS6 manifold.
were those numbers on stock displacement or with the stroker?
Old 01-31-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Flareside
I had no idea that the Patriot "LS6 style" intake ports were so big (238cc). Everybody talks nagatively about the big 240cc intakes in the GM CNC heads, but nobody complains about the Patriot heads. I wonder how the low end throttle response is with that big port? I guess that won't be an issue once you get the turbos installed.

Do you need dual springs? IMO, dual springs are a set backwards for an LSx if you don't really need the extra pressure (noise, heat, wear, and maintenance are all worse). LPE has been clear that they run your planned cam with stock LS6 springs, and it's been completely reliable. Why mess with success? There's no need to spin a twin turbo motor to the moon.

If I were building a TT LS1 with the GT2-3 cam, I'd run the GM CNC heads with the large chambers that SDPC sells. They are perfect for your setup, right down to the port volumes, springs, and valves.
Who is SDPC and where can I find out about their heads?
Old 01-31-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey brad i sent you an email...and a pm