Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP LS6 Heads? Are these any good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default GMPP LS6 Heads? Are these any good?

I'm looking at some LS6 heads right now but wanted some feedback before I bought them. I was going to buy TEA S2 5.3L heads milled at .0015 for 11.0 compression. Those were only going to be $2150 shipped with brand new heads and I keep my stock 5.7's. But recently, I ran across some GMPP LS6 heads. The guy said they are cnc ported at Ligenfelter and have the stock lightweight LS6 valves and stock LS6 springs. I am going to run these with the TR 224-112 cam. The guy said these flowed 290ish on the intake side but didn't say at what lift. I'm pretty sure TEA claims in the 300-310 range or even more? The only thing I am worried about is these are milled .0055. Won't I have to use 7.35" pushrods to clear the cam? How bad will piston to valve clearance be? I might want to put in a bigger cam like the MTI X1 which is 230/230. It also brought the compression to 11.2-11.3 so will I have to use a race mix with that too? This is my daily driver so I do not want to do that. We have 93 where I'm at. The other things I was wondering about is the stock valves and springs. Will the springs work with the aggressive lift and ramp rates of the TR 224? And if so, will they live?
I am going to save about $700 by doing the LS6 heads over the TEA's after it is all said and done because I am buying other parts along with the heads from the guy. All parts are brand new including the heads. Advice please?
Old 04-24-2003, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GMPP LS6 Heads? Are these any good?

The correct pushrod length depends on the base circle of your cam. If it's a stock base circle, use 7.35" pushrods w/ a .055 cut. If the base circle is smaller, like the later model LS6 cam, you can get away with 7.4".

The valvespring choice again depends on the lift of your cam. If it's the XE lobe (around .5xx lift) the LS6 springs might work OK. If it's the XE-R lobe (.58x lift), I'd go with 918 springs.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much rwhp will these heads ad with:
-LS6 intake
-QTP long-tube headers
-Shanner II ported throttle body
-TR 224/224 .561/.561 112lsa Cam

Keep in mind that a 1 point bump in compression is good for 10rwhp alone.

I was thinking:
+15 -Riggs heads at 11.0 c/r -$500
+27 -LS6 heads at 11.3 c/r -$1600
+38 -TEA heads at 11.0 c/r -$2150

Is that about right?
Old 04-24-2003, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought these same heads but have not installed them....they come with lingfelter tags that detail the production run numbers...

....I'm kinda spooked too about the milling. Some others who have them say they are great, it does not detonate and is killer....

I haVE a flow test chart for these heads versus other after-market ported and stock heads...These heads outflow everything...

the heads are originally designed for the ASA race applications and do not need a high lift cam..

you can use ASA cam, GM Hot cam or a Linfelter X2 or a TR 220...

i looked at using thicker head gaskets and or flycutting the pistions; neither is a very good option, however....

I'm going with a lower lift cam, stock head gasket and Lunati double REV springs.

you can use the ls6 springs but a better choice is the 918s or the REVS...

you will not find a lot of information about the cams that people are using with these heads; although, SDPC claims to sell 60 pairs per month!!

Quick Reply: GMPP LS6 Heads? Are these any good?